mechanics plz help. (1 Viewer)

ART

HSC
hi. could any please work out the answer to this mechanics question?

A body of mass m is released from a height h above the ground and it experiences a resistive force R given by R=0.1mv2, where v is the velocity achieved by the body at time t.
If the object falls from rest under gravity (g=10m/s2), find the terminal velocity, U.

... :( sorry, i know this question should be easy, but for some reason, i get U=infinity ?!?

Ogden_Nash

HSC
There are two forces acting on the particle:
1) weight downwards = mg
2) resistance upwards = 0.1mv<sup>2</sup>

Therefore,
F = ma = mg - 0.1mv<sup>2</sup>
giving the equation of motion:
a = g - 0.1v<sup>2</sup>
Now, terminal velocity, U, is approached as a --> 0
So, v<sup>2</sup> --> g/0.1

Therefore U = 10ms<sup>-1</sup>

Hope that helps

who_loves_maths

I wanna be a nebula too!!
somewhere amidst the nebulaic cloud of your heart
HSC
hi ART & Ogden_Nash,

i know these generic type of mechanical questions are part of the 4u course, however, my class has not yet reached that part of 4u theory yet;
consequently, i'd like to present an "alternative" method of solving this question purely from the perspective of (only year 11) Physics...
{this probably belongs in the Physics subforum but my love for phys is too great, i can't resist posting it here, so plz forgive me ppl}:

consider the Law of Conservation of Energy:
initial energy = gravitational potential energy = mgh = 10mh ; where 'g' = 10 m/s/s ;
now, the energy (or work) is defined as: E = Fd ; hence, the energy loss (to the atmosphere) due to the retarding force = Fh = (0.1mv^2)h ;
and, the final kinetic energy of the particle = (1/2)mv^2
hence, Final K.E. = Initial P.E. - Energy Loss ---> (1/2)mv^2 = 10mh - 0.1hmv^2 ;
the 'm' cancels ---> h(10 - 0.1v^2)= 0.5v^2 ---> h(100 -v^2) = 5v^2 ---> h = (5v^2)/(100 -v^2) ;
now, the 'terminal' velocity is as 't'--> infinity, or, it's the same as 'h' --> infinity ;
therefore, as h--> infinity, (5v^2)/(100 -v^2) --> infinity; ie. 100 -v^2 --> 0
-----> v^2 = 100 -----> v = U = 10 m/s.

so there you go, year 11 Physics does the trick here without the need for 4u maths ;)

hope this helps, especially if you're more into phys than maths :)

ART

HSC
thanks

thanks guys. i think i got it wrong because i tried to work it out with the reasoning "terminal velocity occurs when t approaches infinity". for some reason this doesn't work out.

maths > english

Rejected Member
HSC
ART said:
i tried to work it out with the reasoning "terminal velocity occurs when t approaches infinity". for some reason this doesn't work out.
it is possible to work out the terminal velocity using a <i>t → ∞</i> method but it uses <i>l'hopitals</i> rule [EDIT: l'hopitals rule not needed]

this is attached to the message, however the intended way is clearly the <i>a → 0</i> method posted by <i>Ogden_Nash</i>

EDIT: Do NOT use l'hopitals rule, at the end of the first page just divide the numerator and denominator of v by e^{[sqrt(10g)/5]*t}

Last edited:

who_loves_maths

HSC
Originally Posted by ART
thanks guys. i think i got it wrong because i tried to work it out with the reasoning "terminal velocity occurs when t approaches infinity". for some reason this doesn't work out...
there's nothing wrong with that thinking. like i said in my last post 'h' approaches infinity is the same as 't' approaches infinity which is exactly how you go about formally in finding out the terminal velocity. so you are right, i don't know why you think you're wrong...

here's the mathematical version, as far as i can see (using 't' approaches infinity):

Net Force = ma = mg - 0.1mv^2 ---> a = dv/dt = 10 - 0.1v^2
therefore, dt/dv = 1/(dv/dt) = 1/(10 - 0.1v^2) = 10/(100 -v^2)
hence, integrating, t = 10Int[dv/(100 -v^2)] = 10ln[(10+v)/(10-v)] + c
when t = 0, v = 0 ---> c = 0;
and so, we get the expression for 't': t = 10ln[(10+v)/(10-v)]

now, take 't' --> infinity, hence, infinity = 10ln[(10+v)/(10-v)] = -10ln[(10-v)/(10+v)] ---> ln[(10-v)/(10+v)] = -infinity ---> (10-v)/(10+v) = 0 ---> 10-v = 0 ---> v = U = 10 m/s.

and that's how you'd probably do it, so i don't see why taking 't' approaches infinity would be wrong ?!

anyway, hope that helps :)

who_loves_maths

HSC
Originally Posted by maths > english
it is possible to work out the terminal velocity using a t → ∞ method but it uses l'hopitals rule

this is attached to the message, however the intended way is clearly the a → 0 method posted by Ogden_Nash
l'hopitals rule is not part of the 4u course, and you don't need it in its explicit form to do this question by taking 't' approaching infinity.
it'd be much easier to do it the way i just did in my last post i think, and you can use that method to generalise it into v = U = Sqrt(10g) in this case too. the integral is also only 4u level anyways.

but like you said, the correct mathematical way (that is, the most expedient) would be to consider a --> 0. [although the Physics way isn't bad either :)... j/k; zero marks for the use of physics in a maths exam, lol.]

maths > english

Rejected Member
HSC
making t the subject before replacing it with infinity is definately easier, didnt think of that when i did it

FinalFantasy

HSC
ahh i used to think it was "l'hoSpitals" rule instead of l'hopitals rule

maths > english

Rejected Member
HSC
lol, me too

its really bad when u misspell things with really stupid errors and others read it

e.g.

latus rectum -> lettice rectum

organism -> orgasm lol

FinalFantasy

HSC
hahaha, i chose it to always appear invisible when i first signed up here

ahh damn u! u know im on!

FinalFantasy

HSC
dat was just a lucky guess! u can't find me, im invisible

FinalFantasy

HSC
hahaha, this mechanics thread turned into some spam now @_@

FinalFantasy

HSC
we're gonna learn mechanics soon, we have to go to a freaking holiday class to get started on mechanics or we "just won't get the course finished" or something, according to our teacher lol

SeDaTeD

HSC
Mechanics (well for motions of falling particles at least) in 4unit is just solving differential equations without going through the theory for differential equations. ie. m(d2x/dt2) +k(dx/dt) = mg (m,g,k constants).

With the conservation of energy arguement, although valid, you'd be introducing theory from physics not covered in the 4u course. The relations between force, work and energy etc are laws of physics, beyond what 4u expects you to know. So I don't think you should be using energy arguements in 4u.

However using things from uni maths such as l'hopital's rule, as long as u explain it (or prove? someone clarify), should be fine.

FinalFantasy

HSC
so do just say " l'hopitals rule, the limit x-->0 f(x)\g(x) =limit x-->0 f'(x)\g'(x)"
den start using it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)