Mechanics Probem (1 Viewer)

iLearn4U

HSC
N/A
Hi, I am new here and need help with this problem.

The combined air and road resistance of a car in motion is proportional to v^2, where v is its speed.

When the engine is disengaged the car moves down an incline making an angle of sin^-1 (1/30) with the horizontal, with a velocity of 30 m/s.

Find the force required to drive the car up the incline with a steady speed of 24 m/s, given that the mass of the car is 1200 kg.

Thank you

Drsoccerball

HSC
Hi, I am new here and need help with this problem.

The combined air and road resistance of a car in motion is proportional to v^2, where v is its speed.

When the engine is disengaged the car moves down an incline making an angle of sin^-1 (1/30) with the horizontal, with a velocity of 30 m/s.

Find the force required to drive the car up the incline with a steady speed of 24 m/s, given that the mass of the car is 1200 kg.

Thank you
I got to :

Assuming g= 9.8

iLearn4U

HSC
N/A
Yes, its a banked track problem. I don't know what to do with the 30 m/s and 24 m/s.

The answer is 656 N.

leehuan

HSC
Capture.PNG

Couldn't be bothered doing the questions so here's the diagrams. I reckon there's resisted motion and 'banked tracks' here. There are vectors but we don't have a centripetal force component as the car is travelling up, not into the paper.

Edit: That should not say "thurst"

Also, something tells me that the 'initial conditions' enable us to find k..

iLearn4U

HSC
N/A
The answer in the back of the book is 656 N.

We have to use g=10 m/s^2 and F will equal to 656 N.

Thanks for your response guys/girls. I appreciate it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)