Mechanics (1 Viewer)

angelano33

HSC
I'm struggling a lot with mechanics.

Just wondering, if I do well in all the other parts of the HSC paper and skip mechanics questions, will I still be able to get into band 6? And around what raw mark do I need to get into band 6?

I'm quite confident with all the other topics apart from this which is driving me insane :(

Thanks

mreditor16

HSC

Just wondering, if I do well in all the other parts of the HSC paper and skip mechanics questions, will I still be able to get into band 6? And around what raw mark do I need to get into band 6?

I'm quite confident with all the other topics apart from this which is driving me insane :(

Thanks
Best to work on mechanics, and get maybe extra help from your teacher.

Raw mark needed to get 'band 6' usually is around 67/100 iirc.

Now, if there is one year, with a lot of mechanics (say 20 marks), you're already at 80/100. then taking into consideration, tbh, that you're not gonna get every single question remaining right, you won't be able to do a few parts in Q7 and Q8, then thats like 10 marks, maybe a few silly mistakes, about 5 maybe.

Then you're aready on 65/100, and are in serious danger of not getting a band 6.

so imo work hard on mechanics and improve as much as possible.

also, make sure you're acing the other topics, to compensate for this deficiency, as well as working on minimising silly mistakes and practicising Q8s.

good luck. :D

mreditor16

HSC
and also considering you're aiming for 98 to 99 atar, maximising how well you do in 4u maths is critical. :D

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
Just work on it and try to understand it. I think most people struggle with the concepts in mechanics at first, but once you work at it, it actually becomes one of the easier topics, and is just applying what you have learnt from other topics (eg. resisted motion is pretty much all 3/4U integration).

Imagine if you did the HSC last year. There would have been 17 marks down the drain straight up because of mechanics. And just because last year was stacked with mechanics, doesn't mean this year won't be. Mechanics hasn't been a big part of an exam for a looong time, so it's pretty possible that it could be a big part again this year.

Just work on it, and if you absolutely can't get it, at least try to remember the basic stuff like resolving forces, because you're almost guaranteed to get a question asking you to resolve forces, and they are easy marks.

angelano33

HSC
Thanks for the reply!

Wow, that's a pretty big part of the exam!

I've only had two sessions with my teacher for mechanics, maybe I need to get more help. I can solve easier questions (e.g. Applying formulas to get "omega" etc) but for the more complicated one, I just don't get it.

It's probably because I didn't get physics in year 10 :( so it's even harder for me to understand ext 2 mechanics

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad

Thanks
Remember how to get a few marks here and there, the basic mechanics questions and do well in the rest of the exam. That may be enough for a B6 in MX2. Best aim for around 70% raw mark, if you'd like to scrape a B6.

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
It's probably because I didn't get physics in year 10 :( so it's even harder for me to understand ext 2 mechanics
Year 10 physics, dafuq.

If youre talking about one of the modules in Year 10 science (of which i remember nothing), then I can safely say that isn't why youre not understanding mechanics. My teacher told me of a student a few years ago, who was doing ESL like you, who struggled to understand the wording of mechanics questions, and subsequently did poorly. Do you find that component of the question difficult?

Last edited:

angelano33

HSC
Year 10 physics, dafuq.

If youre talking about one of the modules in Year 10 science (of which i remember nothing), then I can safely say that isn't why youre not understanding mechanics. My teacher told me of a student a few years ago, who was doing ESL like you, who struggled to understand the wording of mechanics questions, and subsequently struggled. Do you find that component of the question difficult?
Hmm more like I don't get the connections between the different forces and the particle and how to find the answer by using the given values

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Many talented students find Mechanics easy. At the same time, many good students find it hard, for a variety of reasons, many of which I know why.

If any of you out there needs a tutor just for your Mechanics, I believe I can help. I can make many of the critical concepts easy to understand. That is the key difference.

So, if you want me to help you, please PM me to book a few lessons.

Last edited:

braintic

HSC
N/A
and also considering you're aiming for 98 to 99 atar, maximising how well you do in 4u maths is critical. :D
Um, not really true. A mark of 90 in Ext 2 puts you on track for an ATAR of 99.5.
For anyone already around the E4 area in Ext 2 Maths, the marginal value of extra marks is greater in other subjects.

mreditor16

HSC
Um, not really true. A mark of 90 in Ext 2 puts you on track for an ATAR of 99.5.
For anyone already around the E4 area in Ext 2 Maths, the marginal value of extra marks is greater in other subjects.
Yep agreed!

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
OP; I wasn't very strong with mechanics but you show be able to do the first few parts and get say 3/6 as opposed to 0/6

angelano33

HSC
OP; I wasn't very strong with mechanics but you show be able to do the first few parts and get say 3/6 as opposed to 0/6
Yeah that's probably what I'm gonna do, it's just that I was worried the rest of the question and the other harder parts of the mechanics questions might pull me down :) thanks tho

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
Yeah that's probably what I'm gonna do, it's just that I was worried the rest of the question and the other harder parts of the mechanics questions might pull me down :) thanks tho
But just remember that you've only had 2 lessons on mechanics. A lot of kids are in the same position as you. When my teacher taught me mechanics, I didn't have a clue what was going on, so I put heaps of effort into it after the trials. I ended up getting 14-15 of the 17 mechanics marks in the HSC. Keep at it and it will just click for you.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
If I were you, I would dedicate time or even money on a good tutor who can explain mechanics to you properly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)