• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Med/Dent at Griffith? (1 Viewer)

marcusibby

HSC
N/A
Hi guys, just wondering what the catch is with Griffith? With the only requirements being a 99.60 ATAR for Med and a 99.10 for Dent, why aren't people just flocking to Griffith? The cutoff for Dent is especially low (relative to other courses of its calibre of course), so what's the catch? I understand the last two years are full fee, but even then, walking out with a 150k debt doesn't sound THAT bad considering even an entry-level dentist can very comfortably earn that in a few years.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
It's mostly about the passion but half the people are sometimes in it just for the money which makes me angry.

Yes you are right an entry-level dentist can start earning a pretty good salary once they graduate and find a suitable job.

Medman

HSC
Entry level dentist can earn 100k a year. But urban jobs are far and few in between.

HSC
Because not many people get 99.1 or 99.6?
Also the 150k debt is a lot.
I don't think you're going to be earning big $$$(150k) during your first year of work. And you're not going to be repaying your debt through a large lump sum payment because you need money for your needs. The 150k debt is a lot, and will take years to repay.

emilios

HSC
Because not many people get 99.1 or 99.6?
Also the 150k debt is a lot.
I don't think you're going to be earning big $$$(150k) during your first year of work. And you're not going to be repaying your debt through a large lump sum payment because you need money for your needs. The 150k debt is a lot, and will take years to repay.
I'm not attempting to downplay the mark, but at the same time people with ATARs of 99 and UMATs upward of 80th%ile getting turned down is such a trope in the medicine world. It seems like the money is the main deterrent here, and I guess it might mean a few more years of living with your parents and living frugally but if it's what you want to spend the next 40 years of your life doing then it's worth it.

Medman

HSC
The debt is nothing compared to the renumeration. The real issue is people aren't willing to move interstate or they don't get the marks.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
What was your academic story in getting into such a prestigious course Medman?

Medman

HSC
What was your academic story in getting into such a prestigious course Medman?
Nothing special worked semi hard for it and practiced. Asked for help from doctors and dentists to help shape my responses. I was still kind of cocky about the interview thinking I could do it alone but I got smashed when a famous neurosurgeon ripped into my response. Life lessons are best learnt by making mistakes. So after that I begun practicing properly and changed my answers to the suggestions of the surgeon. Even during the interview I had a feeling one of the interviewers was slightly racist or put on an act just to throw me off. It worked pretty well because my mind went blank. I've been through the hard yards so that my students don't need to go through what I did. "You live and you learn." I hate people who are not progressive in their learning and perspectives. You miss out on so many opportunities if you have tunnel vision.

Along the way have learnt a lot and I think I've learnt the most during my medicine years then before. My view on this world is so different now it's crazy.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Nothing special worked semi hard for it and practiced. Asked for help from doctors and dentists to help shape my responses. I was still kind of cocky about the interview thinking I could do it alone but I got smashed when a famous neurosurgeon ripped into my response. Life lessons are best learnt by making mistakes. So after that I begun practicing properly and changed my answers to the suggestions of the surgeon. Even during the interview I had a feeling one of the interviewers was slightly racist or put on an act just to throw me off. It worked pretty well because my mind went blank. I've been through the hard yards so that my students don't need to go through what I did. "You live and you learn." I hate people who are not progressive in their learning and perspectives. You miss out on so many opportunities if you have tunnel vision.

Along the way have learnt a lot and I think I've learnt the most during my medicine years then before. My view on this world is so different now it's crazy.
Wow, you've certainly come so far in your academic career, since your graduating from med this year are you going to start looking for some work km hospitals and specialize later on?

Medman

HSC
Wow, you've certainly come so far in your academic career, since your graduating from med this year are you going to start looking for some work km hospitals and specialize later on?
Already got work at Blacktown hospital if I pass my exams. I'm looking to go into part time GP and hopefully start a business or maybe purely business depending on how things go. Definitely will keep teaching students because I really enjoy it!

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Already got work at Blacktown hospital if I pass my exams. I'm looking to go into part time GP and hopefully start a business or maybe purely business depending on how things go. Definitely will keep teaching students because I really enjoy it!
Would you give keep doing what you are doing by helping students pursue medicine with interviews and possibly umat help within the next 2-3+ years medman? [emoji4] if you are I will definitely keep in touch with you because you are a legend!

Medman

HSC
Would you give keep doing what you are doing by helping students pursue medicine with interviews and possibly umat help within the next 2-3+ years medman? [emoji4] if you are I will definitely keep in touch with you because you are a legend!
Definitely for the interview I will be. Not too sure how my skills brush up on the UMAT because I haven't looked at it for a while but I still remember quite a few techniques I used to answer the questions. They are difficult questions especially in section 1. Cheers I'm a long way away from being a legend but I do what I can :)

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Definitely for the interview I will be. Not too sure how my skills brush up on the UMAT because I haven't looked at it for a while but I still remember quite a few techniques I used to answer the questions. They are difficult questions especially in section 1. Cheers I'm a long way away from being a legend but I do what I can :)
And I gotta tell you that you do what you do very well!

bangladesh

HSC
1-They usually get in somewhere else.
2-You need a GPA of around 6.7/7 to get a CSP place otherwise you'll end up with bonded after you finish your degree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)