med interview content (1 Viewer)

vodkacrumble

shiftworker
HSC
I did a quick search, but excuse the laziness for not being very thorough.

I basically am curious what sort of questions/topics are discussed in the Newie medicine interview?
I remember chatting to a chick who started 1st year in 2004 and she said there were a few catch 22 questions.

eg: parents come to you with a child with DD and there is an experiemental treatment available that could either make the child's condition better or worse - but the child needs to undergo treatment now or it won't effective.
if you say you'd tell them to go with the treatment the child ends up worse, if you say not to go ahead it is discovered that the treatment would have worked but now it's too late.

thanks for any responses. i'm thinking of applying this year (to defer and start 2008). just have to work my booty off at uni this year and get my GPA up to 6.0/6.5

moz

Med Student
HSC
wa?
First of all you CAN most definitely defer medicine, i know people here at newcastle who have done just that. Faculty has no problem with it.

and gpa of 6.0/6.5?? if u've done 1 semester of a course u only need a Credit average, and if u've finish an undergrad degree u only need a "better than pass average" so dunno how a gpa translates into credits/distinctions/HD's... but i dont think u really need to lift a gpa to get into newy med? lol.

and yes they do ask that question, or a variation of it (these days its actually that your the doctor, not the parent, and u have to recommend it or not to them). and even better, after they say "ok so the patient's condition deteriorated" they then say "so 5 yrs later theres a new, completely different, experimental drug, with same probability of success as before, what do u recommend the patient does?"

they DO NOT CARE which option you chose each time, what they are looking for is your thought process. i.e. are you thinking about whats best for patient? did u say u'd get a 2nd opinion? did u check the literature and research the drug? what about other alternatives? how do i know this? cause i've asked the ppl who write the interviews lol, and asked ppl in my class who answered either way, theys till got in.

rest of newy interview is mainly why do u want to do med, and why do u think u'r well suited?

vodkacrumble

shiftworker
HSC
addressing a few things all in one go:

- yes, you can defer med for up to one year

- thanks for the info moz!! it's good that you said the stuff about researching the drug, getting 2nd opinion - i would probably have glossed over those sorts of points thinking they were just obvious and therefore don't need to be stated.
i want to get my GPA up (it's around a 5.5 now) just so everything looks good on the academic front. i'm into my 3rd & final year at UTS now (nursing - i know, i'm such a traitor to be even considering med!) and i would rather have better than 'better than pass average' :)

- yeah, everyone who wants to do undergrad med has to do the UMAT. that is the one thing i'm most confident with. i've done practice questions and they almost seem too easy. maybe the examples i've seen have been very easy ones compared to what's in the test. i have finally figured out the simple way to do that 'find the shape' section!

i'm going to have a crack at applying, but if i don't get in it's certainly not the end of the world (and consdering there are probably only about 10 spots for non-school leavers i wouldn't take it personally) i love what i'm studying now and as long as i'm looking after sick people i'll be a happy girl! :)

Last edited:

M_86

HSC
A good question is why did you choose med over law.
Its an important question.
O and the UMAT was easy except for the last ones.
The find a shape ones. OMG.
Everyone finds them hard but practice practice practice.

moz

Med Student
HSC
well theres no more fidn the shape questions... and as if you'd want to do law!!! med is so much more fun, what with the bodies, surgery and the all time 4 ultimate reasons to do Med, as listed by dr. Cox of scrubs... chicks, money, power and chicks...

and vodkacrumble, its actually HARDER for school-leavers to get in, far more have done 1-2 yrs uni, or are mature age. out of 128 spots, only about 25ish would be school-leavers in my class.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)