Med or Combined Law more difficult to get into? (1 Viewer)

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
Were you forced to do Med or something?
let me tell u a little story...once upon a time my parents and i came here on a raft. we spent 30 days and 30 nights drifting in the pacific with little food and water. people got sick and people died and it was then and there that a i had one of those light-bulb-over-head moments and decided i wanted to b a doctor.

Revacious

o-o
HSC
N/A
Unis have access to your preferences. Generally, they view someone who is applying for both Law and Med as someone who is only interested in the prestige of a degree i.e. someone they don't want doing med.
im pretty sure uac handles that, and the unis dont see shit.

LordPc

HSC
im pretty sure uac handles that, and the unis dont see shit.
yes but unis know if you have been offered a spot in another course at that uni. so if you apply for both med and law at UNSW, then everyone at UNSW has access to that information. not the case if you apply for med at UNSW and law at USyd

rx34

HSC
University A can see which preference and course you placed University A at. However University B cannot see the courses and ranking of University A on the preference sheet.

Last edited:

bio_nut

HSC
I think in the interviews they often ask you what your backup is though.

Dosu

HSC
N/A
I think in the interviews they often ask you what your backup is though.
yes i was asked this at all my interviews. the correct answer is ANYTHING (gap year, adv science, year 13 etc) except anything containing the words "law" or "commerce". 3 guys from my school who didn't get into med ended up doing law/comm.

and how does combined law even come close to as hard to get into as medicine/dentistry? for medicine and dentistry, not only do you need a 99+ TER, you need a kickass UMAT score (which is an aptitude test - i.e. you cannot study for it) and an awesome interview. for combined law, all you need is a very good TER, and even then if you're willing to go to a non go8 uni you can get in with low 90's.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
yeh, u can definitely lie about ur backups. they really have no right to ask/know. in regard to the original topic, i still maintain that its debatable and really depends on which med or law school.
e.g.

UQ provisional entry, although it says u need 99, 94 atar would be sufficient coupled with a very very average UMAT score. they give 2 bonus ATAR points for doing their level of Maths C ~ maths ext2, 2 points for a doing a language for ur HSC and 1 point if ur studying an enrichment course at university.

same for Newcastle, 93 ATAR is sufficient coupled with a decent umat and interview.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)