Med students with UAI <99.7..still hope. (1 Viewer)

nandayo

ismist
HSC
Harriet Alexander Higher Education Reporter
July 5, 2006

PAULA NORAMBUENA, who has dreamt of being a doctor since she was seven, would not have made it into medicine if she had applied a year earlier.
Her University Admissions Index score of 96.9 in her HSC was well below the previous cut-off for medicine of 99.7.

But Ms Norambuena happened to finish school in time for a new system of medical student selection at the University of NSW, which chooses them on the basis of interviews as well as exam marks.

She is now in her fourth year and at the forefront of a new wave of students, upon whom educators have pinned their hopes for a generation of communicative, motivated and engaged doctors. The interview process ensures that students who are not interested stay out.

"Every staff member I met, every teacher, they said that they were interested in us and that we were like a different breed," Ms Norambuena said.
Already it seems the experiment is paying off.

Rakesh Kumar, a pathology professor who has interviewed the students every year since the system was introduced, said the 2003 intake was markedly different from its predecessors.

"What's perfectly clear is that we now have students who are much more willing to get engaged in the learning process. They're much more willing to ask questions and get involved.

"It's done us some real good in getting active, interested, good communicators, [who are] just as bright."

The students are asked about their childhood and their interest in medicine.
Sometimes interviews reveal candidates who are not interested in medicine at all but under pressure from their parents to apply.
He remembered one boy who had revealed within three minutes that he did not want to study medicine, while his mother was sitting outside the interview room.

"He was very happy to be in an environment where he could explain that he wasn't really interested in this at all," Professor Kumar said.
Research from Newcastle University, which pioneered the combined marks-interview selection process, showed that students chosen on this basis were more likely to perform well than those chosen solely on marks.

Sydney University, which only teaches medicine to students who already have another degree, will begin a new interview process next year. Each candidate will face eight interviewers, spending 10 minutes with each, and will be asked to argue a position on various health policy issues.

David Tiller, a professor in medicine who tested the system last year, said the aim was a more consistent selection process. But he could not guarantee those chosen would be better doctors.

"A lot of people would like the interview to [predict] whether they're going to be a good doctor or not, and we can't tell," Professor Tiller said.
"What we can gauge is whether people will do well in the course. Can they think on their feet? Do they think about doctors in society? Do they have an ethical background? Can they decide what's honest and dishonest?"

End Quote...interesting..

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
well if you want med at uncle, 98+ would be sufficient. unsw seems to be a real snobhouse when it comes to med.

Tuna

HSC
N/A
blackfriday said:
well if you want med at uncle, 98+ would be sufficient. unsw seems to be a real snobhouse when it comes to med.
Not true, a person who got a little over 95 got into med at unsw from class '04.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
yeh josh went to my high school and he by geez he deserved it because he was more than just a nerd. but thats an isolated case, an outlier even.

Tuna

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
Pft, med's for fags.
You're absolutely right on this one. Your words are made of gold. Next time if you see a medical professional, tell them that they are fags. They'll consider your opinion at a great depth, moreover, have the best treatment available for you.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Tuna said:
You're absolutely right on this one. Your words are made of gold. Next time if you see a medical professional, tell them that they are fags. They'll consider your opinion at a great depth, moreover, have the best treatment available for you.
Given I've only had to see a doctor once in the last three or four years to get a prescription for a minor ailment which I could have diagnosed myself and gotten the antibiotics without wasting the government's money on such medical professionals, I don't think it's going to be much of a problem. :)

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
blackfriday said:
above 90 and a good interview and your in

garbagedump

HSC
N/A
Given I've only had to see a doctor once in the last three or four years to get a prescription for a minor ailment which I could have diagnosed myself and gotten the antibiotics without wasting the government's money on such medical professionals, I don't think it's going to be much of a problem.
I'm sure u'd want to see the doctor more often but due to ur trollish appearance and the stench that comes up ur arse most possibly coz u squashed someone, leads to the unfortnate incidence of you being chucked out of the medical centre.

Tuna, he's just jealous...trolls cant be doctors for pretty obvious reasons ;)

Last edited:

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
withoutaface said:
Given I've only had to see a doctor once in the last three or four years to get a prescription for a minor ailment which I could have diagnosed myself and gotten the antibiotics without wasting the government's money on such medical professionals, I don't think it's going to be much of a problem. :)
I'll consider your opinions valid when you can give yourself a quadruple bypass. Your choice of local or general anaesthetics.

And if you are somewhat unlucky in that endeavour, I shall really take my hats off to you when you perform an autopsy on yourself and come up with cause of death.

garbagedump

HSC
N/A
you should seriously reconsider considering the fact that you're still doing the hsc and trolling on this forum. seriously where do you find the time?
btw "your" in that context is spelt "you're"

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Too bad we still have a shortage of doctors

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
AsyLum said:
Too bad we still have a shortage of doctors
yep but alas the govt is almost doubling the places available..
but they arent unbonded CSP places :(

they are bonded or full fee..

according to AMA and AMSA as of last week.. the option for getting out of the bond may soon disappear with the govts legal eagles.. and graduates will be fucked.. :)

lala2

Banned
HSC
I heard it wasn't so much the uni places as the lack of educational medical hospitals willing to take in interns after graduation. Is this true?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Templar said:
I'll consider your opinions valid when you can give yourself a quadruple bypass. Your choice of local or general anaesthetics.

And if you are somewhat unlucky in that endeavour, I shall really take my hats off to you when you perform an autopsy on yourself and come up with cause of death.
I'll be dead and honestly not give a shit why.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Calm down everyone

Focus on the thread-starter's topic.

If you have a problem with any member, use the Report Bad Post button (located on the bottom left of the user's post or use the Contact Moderators Forum by starting a thread and linking to the problem.

No you do not have the right to troll wherever you like

And yes you can minimise trolling through moderators, which is done anonymously and dealt with asap.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
yep but alas the govt is almost doubling the places available..
but they arent unbonded CSP places :(

they are bonded or full fee..

according to AMA and AMSA as of last week.. the option for getting out of the bond may soon disappear with the govts legal eagles.. and graduates will be fucked.. :)
Actually there are more CSP spots coming. Monash grad med. Wollongong grad med. UWS Med. And the other schools like la trobe and deakin.

Antler

Custom User Title
HSC
Monash's new undergrad spots are all full fee apparentley. The Medsocs are also trying to shut down the new places across Australia until the government can guarentee there will be enough space at teaching hospitals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)