media and communications (1 Viewer)

nik

at the moment, i'm doing my hsc, but i was looking at doing a ba in communications (media arts and production). Just wondering if anyone who was doing the course - or knows about it - could tell me what its like!!!! thanks

J

juzza

At it's core, it's a BA...

Depending on what you want to learn, it may or may not be for you. At it's heart its a BA, meaning lots of theoretical studies into Colonialism, post-modernism, marxism etc. The first year is 3 theory (discaplinary) subjects and 1 practical (professional) subject. This first year is common to ALL communications students. The course becomes more like a tradiotional film course from the second year, with only 1 cultural studies subject, 1 professional subject and some electives. You don't get to touch film until your second year. If you have some decent experience in production, you may find the first year a bit of a hard slog... But in the end, it's a well respected course with good industry links... and hey, it's in Sydney! I was offered this course this year but decided not to do it, as I was also offered a place at the Queensland College of Art in Brisbane. Their degree is a Bachelor of Film & TV Production (BFTPr), not a BA in Media Arts and Production (BACom).
Hope this is helpful. It was a hard choice for me, cos I wanted to stay in Sydney... but there you go. Anyone doing Media Arts this year? Would love to hear your thoughts... and what experience drew you to this course...

jizmiester

well in know im not staying in sydney this yr...ive been accepted into a very respectable communication course at CSU bathurst...apparently it is a great course with great industry links....il just have to see :) have u had a look at theatre and Media at bathurst?

nik

thanks so much for telling me what you guys are doing...there's a lot of stuff to take into consideration. i'm actually a drama student, so i haven't really touched a lot of the technical side of things. For work experience two years ago i went to Foxtel in Sydney because my dad's friends with Brian Walsh and squeezed me in. he did thie course and said that it was fantastic...so that's how i heard about it. But i'm really looking forward to it...

i haven't really looked at Bathurst, but i know two girls who were accepted in 2003 - they say that its brilliant...thanks for the tip!

colosus

HSC
Re: At it's core, it's a BA...

Originally posted by juzza
Depending on what you want to learn, it may or may not be for you. At it's heart its a BA, meaning lots of theoretical studies into Colonialism, post-modernism, marxism etc. The first year is 3 theory (discaplinary) subjects and 1 practical (professional) subject. This first year is common to ALL communications students. The course becomes more like a tradiotional film course from the second year, with only 1 cultural studies subject, 1 professional subject and some electives. You don't get to touch film until your second year. If you have some decent experience in production, you may find the first year a bit of a hard slog... But in the end, it's a well respected course with good industry links... and hey, it's in Sydney! I was offered this course this year but decided not to do it, as I was also offered a place at the Queensland College of Art in Brisbane. Their degree is a Bachelor of Film & TV Production (BFTPr), not a BA in Media Arts and Production (BACom).
Hope this is helpful. It was a hard choice for me, cos I wanted to stay in Sydney... but there you go. Anyone doing Media Arts this year? Would love to hear your thoughts... and what experience drew you to this course...

what sort of UAI did u need to get into queesnland College of Art in Brisbane.

J

juzza

QCA

Less than UTS... about 92.
But you must submit a portfolio first before they will consider you.

colosus

HSC
ok den . just curious since i only got in the early 70's and never applied to uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)