media and cultural studies (1 Viewer)

somechick

HSC
N/A
im in year 12 and i was wondering what media and cultural studies is like because its one of my top preferences. I didnt go to that open day thing so anyone who does it can shed some light? I know the general jist about popular culture but how are your experiences?

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
Does anyone do this?
Or does anyone know the exact requirements of the degree because the undergraduate section of the website which shows the course requirements doesnt state what subjects are needed at 200 level. It has the 100 level prerequisites and the 300 level options but that is it.
If anyone can help, thanks.

Also on this note, if you are not enrolled in the degree because you cant transfer until you have completed specific subjects, can you just ignore the subjects that you are required to do for your current degree and just enrol in the ones you will require for the one you want to transfer into? So basically im doing a Bed, can i not do any education subjects and just do the media and cul ones until mid year next year or will my enrolment be suspended if i dont do my required subjects.

haha i bet i made no sense.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
http://www.international.mq.edu.au/study/undergraduate/areas_coursedetails.asp?cse=319

It says "sample only" then lists "core units" so take of it as you will.

For the first year, you will do CUL100, MAS104, MAS105, as theyre the core units for all media courses. And taking from that page, it looks somewhat similar, except less speciality.

Media itself is quite good from what i've found.

Cultural Studies is an academic wank off, so if you like post-modernism in year 12, and the whole "critically analyse every little thing" then its for you.

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
Thanks for that.

Im glad that thats only a sample study program else i may as well be doing bmedia in writing.
After reading up on it a bit, ive realised there are no core 200 level units, just that you have to do 8cp cul and 6 cp mas and you choose those based on what strand you are doing at 300 level. So like just have to ensure that you choose subjects in second year that will let you do your chosen subjects in 3rd. It appears to be a really flexible degree, with only 1st year having core units. Well 3rd sort of does but you choose a strand to follow.
Haha wanky subjects are great, i tend to go better at that shit as it lets my head flow the way it does in day to day life. Education just isnt working for me and ive done media before so that was all good.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Ahh ok, what degree you doing? You looking to transfer ?

cpjeeves

Totally dibble!
HSC
N/A
AsyLum said:
Cultural Studies is an academic wank off, so if you like post-modernism in year 12, and the whole "critically analyse every little thing" then its for you.
Exactly. Although I was pretty ok with that kind of stuff in Year 12 and CUL 100 was much worse than that for me, I hated it (might have been that the people in my tut group pissed me off though).

Some people get really into it though, so hopefully you'll enjoy it if that's what you do next year.

cpjeeves

Totally dibble!
HSC
N/A
My tutor was Helen K-something (I can't remember her surname, it was Greek and complicated).
There were some okay seeming people in my tut, but a few of them were really immature, especialy while doing Sexuality &Gender and after watching M. Butterfly. I mean it's Cultural Studies, the most artsy-your-conventions-and-values-are-merely-constructions subject there is, and we get private school girls shrieking with disgust at the thought of gay people. I just found it frustrating.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Haha oh dear, i had an ok tutor group, hated my tutor though, she seemed to hate me :(

Yeah i sat behind some girls who would be "omg, this is so hard to get and ogm gayness? wth"

And to think these kids got good UAI's *shakes head*

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
haha YAY that will be a bundle of fun.

I'm currently doing education asylum but yeah looking to transfer but cant do so until ive completed all the 100 level units so next semester and the next after that but ill do 2nd year subs at the same time plus most of my electives will be counted for from the last 1 1/2 years so ill only have 2 years left.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Ahh, awesome, yeah i really enjoyed MAS104, hopefully 105 wont be too bad next sem

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
Hey when did you transfer anyway?
Because to get into media from arts or whatever, didnt you have to have already completed the 100 level media and cul subs? Because thats what i got told to not even put in an application for a mid year transfer because i wont get it and to wait till ive done the subjects.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I did it through UAC, at the end of the year, the cut-off was like <85 so i got a clean transfer.

HSC
N/A
Cul100 is a migrane, that's all I can say. I have issues with it.

I also had a greek tutor, (Maria Giannocopolous I think) and she was pretty good, the tute group was also pretty good (had cul100 itself been good then it would have been good all round... will stop saying "good" now).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)