Media Article: School Leaving Age 18 (5 Viewers)

boris

Banned
HSC
Anyway, some stats on denistry in Australia.

I know NSW wide there is a dire shortage of Dental Therapists (the ones you see at the school clinic), and they've introduced this 1300 number which is a fucking pain in my ass because the waiting list is 200 kids long and there are no dentists to fill the positions. Angry parents it does make for.

South Eastern Sydney 88.97
Northern Sydney 67.72
Southern (including Wagga Wagga) 27.41
Mid Western (including Orange and Bathurst) 25.22
Greater Murray (including Albury) 25.10
Far West (including Broken Hill) 21.02
Macquarie (including Blue Mountains) 16.53

* no of dentists per 100,000 of population (2004)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
boris said:
I'm confused about what you're saying.

Are you saying more places need to be made available, or that there are enough places and its popularity has driven the UAI up to a point where it isn't accessible to a wider range of students?
I'm saying that there are 10000000000000000 kids who want to do med, but if the problem is as you say it is, then we need more med places rather than incentives to fill the existing ones (which is what you initially suggested).

boris

Banned
HSC
Oh, okay, I get you.

Yeah, I agree. I'm not sure what the status is on places, and there definitely needs to be more places made.

On a similar note, I'm not entirely convinced that getting 100 in your UAI because you didn't leave your bedroom for 18 months will make you the best doctor, and it's a shame that the limited places that are available are monopolised by people who are more interested in the prestige than the job.

'OH MY GOD MY PARENTS WANT ME TO BE A DOCTOR SO I HAVE TO BE A DOCTOR'

Forget medicine positions then, but I stand by the idea of incentives for allied health and nursing because positions in either field aren't overflowing with candidates.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
the profession cares more about maintaining its prestige and status (Read: pay) than having enough doctors

shame they call themselves an "association" rather than a "union", the Libs might've done something about it then ;)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
boris said:
On a similar note, I'm not entirely convinced that getting 100 in your UAI because you didn't leave your bedroom for 18 months will make you the best doctor, and it's a shame that the limited places that are available are monopolised by people who are more interested in the prestige than the job.
Yeah agreed, and I think it's also a shame that the cutoff for things like teaching and nursing allows in a bunch of people who could not care less about the job, who are doing it because "it's all I got into" or "it's easy" etc etc. I've met a few people in my degree who think this way and it makes me angry. One of the most important professions there is (okay, I'm biased :D ) and it's filled with some very unpassionate people. Sad.

boris

Banned
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
the profession cares more about maintaining its prestige and status (Read: pay) than having enough doctors

shame they call themselves an "association" rather than a "union", the Libs might've done something about it then ;)
Moar like NSW Health is a sack of falling down fucking shit that nobody wants to work for because there are no resources and if staff get abused it's okay because we have to appease the scum of society.

No wonder everybody is going overseas :(

boris

Banned
HSC
Well instead of luring new blood, NSW Health has proposed $6000 to retired nurses, or those who have left the profession. They've retired mang, I don't know why we can't make it more accessible and pretty to younger people, rather than paying florence nightingale's corpse to come back.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
boris said:
Anyway, some stats on denistry in Australia.

I know NSW wide there is a dire shortage of Dental Therapists (the ones you see at the school clinic), and they've introduced this 1300 number which is a fucking pain in my ass because the waiting list is 200 kids long and there are no dentists to fill the positions. Angry parents it does make for.

South Eastern Sydney 88.97
Northern Sydney 67.72
Southern (including Wagga Wagga) 27.41
Mid Western (including Orange and Bathurst) 25.22
Greater Murray (including Albury) 25.10
Far West (including Broken Hill) 21.02
Macquarie (including Blue Mountains) 16.53

* no of dentists per 100,000 of population (2004)
yes they are not offering enough places . because i know someone who got UAI 97 and still did not get into dentistry.

boris

Banned
HSC
me121 said:
yes they are not offering enough places . because i know someone who got UAI 97 and still did not get into dentistry.
CSU starts Denistry next year? (or 2010)
They've proposed;
Bachelor of Dental Science

(40 student places per annum, commencing in Orange)

and

Bachelor of Oral Health (Therapy/Hygiene)

(20 student places per annum, commencing in Wagga Wagga)

The undergraduate programs would accommodate a total of 60 new students per annum. In total, the program would accommodate 240 students over five years, graduating 20 dental hygienists/therapists (after three years) and 40 dentists (after five years).

bassistx

HSC
40 dentists? That's not good enough.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been under the impression that each course can take 300 students?

boris

Banned
HSC
bassistx said:
40 dentists? That's not good enough.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been under the impression that each course can take 300 students?
40 dentists a year I think for a small university is pretty fucking good actually. Unfortunately these 40 dentists a year won't come to fruition for another 6 years. It comes down to bad management over the last 15 years and a lack of foresight into a growing population and a growing demand for health professionals.

I don't know where you got the figure of 300 students from, but it certainly isn't the case at CSU.

bassistx

HSC
boris said:
40 dentists a year I think for a small university is pretty fucking good actually. Unfortunately these 40 dentists a year won't come to fruition for another 6 years. It comes down to bad management over the last 15 years and a lack of foresight into a growing population and a growing demand for health professionals.

I don't know where you got the figure of 300 students from, but it certainly isn't the case at CSU.
Lecture halls hold around 300 students so therefore there are 300 places available. That's what I've been told.

bassistx

HSC
Btw, the school leaving age in Italy is 19. I should've mentioned that when I said everybody has a degree and there's high unemployment.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
That's fucked up what the government is doing i think it should be 16 not 18, just imagine being stuck with dumb retards, that would bring them down, back in school, those who drop out in year 10, without going further to Year 11,12 are mostly stupid retards or typical crackhead kids, bullies, bogans, junkies...most had ended up having children by the time everybody else finished Year 12. :p

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
The greater the number of people with a particular qualification, the less that qualification becomes a guarantee the holder knows anything about its content, therefore the less it is worth
The truth of that statement decreases as time goes on.

Why? Ageing population. Less kids, but MORE demand for the things kids do (trades, professions, everything, looking after the increasing old population).

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
chicky_pie said:
That's fucked up what the government is doing i think it should be 16 not 18,
a) No-one cares what you think
chicky_pie said:
, just imagine being stuck with dumb retards, that would bring them down,
b) I dont need to imagine, im stuck with you.

chicky_pie said:
those who drop out in year 10, without going further to Year 11,12 are mostly stupid retards or typical crackhead kids, bullies, bogans, junkies...most had ended up having children by the time everybody else finished Year 12. :p ,
c) very Accurate description of yourself.

boris

Banned
HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
Yes, and the lecture hall at my campus holds 40.
...OMG DO YOU MEAN THERE WILL ONLY BE 40 TEACHERS GRADUATING FROM UOW?!

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Wouldn't it be funny though if there was only 1 teacher per 1000 students in the state, only a small fraction of the population got regular education, and teachers got paid at least 120k? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)