Media/Comm Unit selection assistance? (1 Viewer)

Vuki

HSC
Hey,

Need a bit of help in picking units for this whole Media/Comm business :).

Figured this out so far:

Year 1

Semester 1

Media Major Pre-Req MECO1003 6cp Principles of Media Writing
Arts or Economics (Soc Sci) Major LNGS1005 6cp Structure of English
Arts or Economics (Soc Sci) Electives ENGL1000 12cp University English
Arts or Economics (Soc Sci) Electives ARIN1000 History and Theory of Informatics

Semester 2

Media Major Pre-Req MECO1001 6 cp Introduction to Media Studies
Compulsory unit of study ENGL1005 6cp Language & Image
Arts or Economics (Soc Sci) Major LNGS1002 6cp Language and Social Context
Arts or Economics (Soc Sci) Elective ENGL1015 6cp Inventing Modernity

Is that all A OK and sounds ok? There's no Arts Informatics in Semester 2 of Year 1, but I would continue doing that in year 2 -->, and i'm pretty happy for Linguistics to be my major...

I'm just not sure if this all gels right...Lastly, to be eligble for the 20% discount (up-front payment) do we have to pay it on the day of enrolment?

Last edited:

I-Jester

Intergalactic Jester
HSC
All good except that Intro to Media Studies is now Australian Media Studies and only runs in semester 1 and principles of media writing only runs semester 2.

Also - Arts Informatics subjects are only available to students doing the Arts Informatics degree (its shit - i know)

Finally - yes, you do have to pay on enrolment day to get the 80% discount.

Hope I haven't thrown a spanner in the works - look at the 2005 arts handbook on the sydney uni website. I might see you on Tuesday.

Vuki

HSC
I'll be able to pay, that's ok....That does suck abotu arts informatics....Either way with the Media/Comm major part, there is no choice at least for the first year right, that'll all be automatics?

Out of curiosity IJ - what units are you going to be doing?? And anyone else who's doing this course

I-Jester

Intergalactic Jester
HSC
The Media/Comm major part is pretty much unchangeable throughout the course I think. They've structured it so the only MECO unit we're eligible to do alternate semesters.

And just because you asked so nicely, I will be doing:

1st semester:
Australian Media Studies
Australian Politics
Economics as a Social Science
and this last one i'm not so sure about... either a History unit (probably the new 20th century politics and culture one) or an English one (University English or Inventing Modernity probably)

2nd semester:
Principles of Media Writing
Power in Society
Economy and Policy
Language and Image

At the moment, it's pretty subject to change :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)