media studies 2u religion PLZ help!! (1 Viewer)

mz del piero

hi, i was just wondering if anyone could help me out about a religious website/or something like the 'god hates fags' site. ive searched the internet for hours and yet im struggling to find something for my assessment.
if any one could help it would be really appreciated:D

juventino

Juventus For Life
HSC
Well your resources don't just have to be 'god hates fags' , you can also consider the abc's site (I hate the abc to death). But those idots have a lot of religious shows. Just talk about what they discuss, views they have and also how often the show is broadcast.

Plus at the site you get the list of shows on radio too.

Juventino

santaslayer

HSC
also.....from wot i've been told...a certain percentage of ur articles must be original copies i.e..newspapers, articles, magz,opinion letters.etc...try and check out smh for them

mz del piero

Originally posted by snapperhead
whats the actual assessment? ie what are you actually looking for so we can help?
thanks for the reply...here are the questions off my assessment...
Examine how religion uses print and electronic media to propagate a point of view...
and
Analyse the impact of print and electronic media treatment on some religious persons, groups or traditions...

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
there was a thread earlier that may be of help for this...
you have to decide if you are going for the "supportive or against" type of argument first (re what type of eg's for eg the godhatesfags website as a -ve or buddhanet.net as a +ve) but a balanced POV would obviously be better in the long run. Let me know via here as I have a list of -ves that may interest you that I have used in class before- some may even still be current. Could probably point you towards some +ves as well, again, just let me know as I have to go find them!!!

ssssonicyouth

phonic booth
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by mz del piero
thanks for the reply...here are the questions off my assessment...
Examine how religion uses print and electronic media to propagate a point of view...
and
Analyse the impact of print and electronic media treatment on some religious persons, groups or traditions...
you should find an evenhanded thing as well and make the point that some religious media outlets attempt to present issues objectively

ignoring one side of the argument isn't as good as looking at both :cool:

mz del piero

there was a thread earlier that may be of help for this...
you have to decide if you are going for the "supportive or against" type of argument first (re what type of eg's for eg the godhatesfags website as a -ve or buddhanet.net as a +ve) but a balanced POV would obviously be better in the long run. Let me know via here as I have a list of -ves that may interest you that I have used in class before- some may even still be current. Could probably point you towards some +ves as well, again, just let me know as I have to go find them!!!

hey, thanks for the advice...ive got articles tha r both negative and positive so i guess im looking at the neutral argument to get both points across...if you have anything that i can add to my findings it would be greatly appreciated....im mainly struggling to find a negative sided website

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
stick with the hate sites (try rickross.com to find these) and they should give you that "unbalanced" POV that shows one of the most "popular" use of religious media. Again, make sure that it is a balanced view (which Im assuming as what you gave was straight from the syllabus!)
As was said, it really depends on what you are trying to get at........
this
analyse the impact of print and electronic media treatment on some religious persons, groups or traditions...
sortof allows you to go the one sided route if you wish as does the other point
examine how religion uses print and electronic media to propagate a point of view... but it really is referring to a "+ve use because of the use of the word "religion" (as opposed to wacky, screwed up psycho group with religious leanings!!)

Hope this helps.
SH

Last edited:

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
if you were told aussie sites for an assignment, I would stick with the advice (for the HSC is another thing if past papers are any guide)(youre at Westmead right? Di Cronin is in charge there isnt she? If so, use her as she knows her stuff!! As does the Assis. REC there -I dont know her maried name.........grr!!!)
some "positives" off the top of my head include
buddhanet.net (it is aussie)
cathtelecom.com
catholic.org.au
anglican.org.au (?? I think)
the salvos have a website (salvos.org.au??)
also try sydney city mission and hillsong as well
ALOT OF INDIVIDUAL CHURCHES ALSO HAVE SITES WHICH CAN BE USED (have to look for these one yourself as there are too many)
*sorry about the caps*

Negatives can be found if you try some of the cultwatch sites and search by country-(I think rickross.com and cultwatch.com (??) allow this). There was a white supremacy group based out of Adelaide (I think they were linked from stormfront.org/net/com- cant remember which one!)
Guess you have to define/decide what "propagates a POV" really means. Is it just "advertising" their beliefs or is it using media to push or show their beliefs to be right...
Again, all this is off the top of my head so sorry if some of the URLs are wonky or dont exist!!
SH
BTW happy b'day!

Last edited:

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
mmmmmmm. external markers for an internal assessment give me the heebee geebee's as they sometimes have their own agenda!!
As far as I know, the syllabus does state Australian media as "primary" (dont have a syllabus to hand so Im probably wrong on this one) but its almost accepted that you should focus on "Australian stuff" where possible- pity Aussie stuff doesnt always exist in this context! Or isnt recognisable when it comes to web media as most Aussie sites dont use the .au prefix!

I HSC marked with Di (this narrows my ID down to 6 other ppl) and I also have attended some inservices she has run on Judaism. Your assistant REC is an old friend of mine who I have not seen since uni + I have been to Westmead a couple of times for various things!!!

sez_04

HSC
some "positives" off the top of my head include
buddhanet.net (it is aussie)
cathtelecom.com
catholic.org.au
anglican.org.au (?? I think)
the salvos have a website (salvos.org.au??)
also try sydney city mission and hillsong as well
ALOT OF INDIVIDUAL CHURCHES ALSO HAVE SITES WHICH CAN BE USED (have to look for these one yourself as there are too many)
*sorry about the caps*

Negatives can be found if you try some of the cultwatch sites and search by country-(I think rickross.com and cultwatch.com (??) allow this). There was a white supremacy group based out of Adelaide (I think they were linked from stormfront.org/net/com- cant remember which one!)
I am doing a media assessment as well and this info is VERY helpful! thanks a lot

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
not a problem- contact me via here if you need anyother help or want to bounce ideas off me.......
(contact details in profile)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)