Media Uni? (1 Viewer)

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
It depends on what you wanna do. But with media, it's more about what you do (like what media related things u doin outside of uni? Are you getting your writing out there?) then where you went to uni.

nicole

Hey goodtogo, you go to macquarie yeah? Do you know what their reputation is with journalism and media courses? Im thinking of doing international communication or bachelor of media in writing but i dont know if that sort of a degree would get me anywhere with journalism. Any idea?

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Yep, I go to Club Mac! I also work there.

Yeah the Media - Writing is quite popular. It teaches more than just journalism though (unlike the UTS degree), it touches on various media formats. It's not aimed at just journalism students though. If you know you DEFINATELY only want to work in journalism, you'd put the UTS one before this. With this one, you can take your writing any where...

The B International Communication is a pretty new undergrad degree at Macq. High cut-off last year (94.15). I think there was a new department created to cater for this degree...it looks like a winner (pretty unique degree). Again, not just for those with interests in journalism. If you are interested in international relations, cross-cultural issues, as well as writing...this looks like a rad degree!

If you come to Macq, you get a shot at an internal transfer into a combined law degree. It should be easier for you with your highish UAI (I think u said you'll probably be just short of the cut-off). The transfer is calculated by 50% UAI and 50% first year uni marks.

Remember, a LOT of journalists have just an Arts degree, or a law degree...getting into the journalism degree of your dreams is not the be all and end all.

Come tomorrow (Jan 5th) to Macquarie's Advising Day if you have any more queries. Or contact the Departments:

Department of Media - 9850 8786
Centre for International Communication - 9850 7931

Congrats on your awesome UAI, and I hope you are happy with whatever offer you will be made. :)

Cheers,

*Jun*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)