Medical Science or Advanced Science? (1 Viewer)

ocatal

HSC
Which of these provide the best pathway to medicine? And if not medicine, which has the best career opportunities? I've heard that advanced science generally has better career opportunities. What do you think? :)

Xt

HSC
N/A
Consider looking into the Med Sci (Adv) or Sci (Adv) @ UWS, or Med Sci @ UNSW since they offer lateral entry into their undergraduate medical program (you want to maximise your chances).

TBH I think Sci(Adv) and Med Sci offers similar, if not the same, career opportunities. Basically the majors on offer are the same, except in Medical Science you are restricted to Medical Science Majors (Pharmacology, Pathology, or Anatomy etc). Unless your looking at a mathematics, psychology, or geology majors (which are typically offered in a Sci Adv degree and have better career opportunities) you may want to consider doing a Medical Science degree since they offer you a taste of all the medicine subjects and you can gauge if you want to do medicine from there or not. This information is for UNSW btw.

ocatal

HSC
Consider looking into the Med Sci (Adv) or Sci (Adv) @ UWS, or Med Sci @ UNSW since they offer lateral entry into their undergraduate medical program (you want to maximise your chances).

TBH I think Sci(Adv) and Med Sci offers similar, if not the same, career opportunities. Basically the majors on offer are the same, except in Medical Science you are restricted to Medical Science Majors (Pharmacology, Pathology, or Anatomy etc). Unless your looking at a mathematics, psychology, or geology majors (which are typically offered in a Sci Adv degree and have better career opportunities) you may want to consider doing a Medical Science degree since they offer you a taste of all the medicine subjects and you can gauge if you want to do medicine from there or not. This information is for UNSW btw.
Yeah I find the Medical Science majors more interesting so I think I'll stick with Medical Science. Thanks for the answer! :)

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
UWS Medical Science (Adv), but I heard that UWS Adv Science is more flexible in terms of choosing units!
Why UWS over any other uni? Because it is easier to get into med at UWS through the Adv Science/Medical Science Adv pathway. It lowers your GPA expectation to 5.5 (from 5.75) and you need like a Umat score of ~80, or even as low as 75 to be considered for an interview. However, this may vary according to your cohort size and the intensity of competition. Only around 6 students get selected for an interview via this pathway. (6 from 3-4 campuses of Medical Science Adv/Science Adv students).

Last edited:

ocatal

HSC
UWS Medical Science (Adv), but I heard that UWS Adv Science is more flexible in terms of choosing units!
Yep thanks for the advice! Will definitely consider it :)
Yeah I've heard about that entry scheme at UWS. Sounds a lot easier than the UNSW Medical Science scheme but I'm sure the competition compensates for that haha.
Hmm would you know about how difficult it is to get into postgraduate medicine at any uni in general?

Last edited:

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Yep thanks for the advice! Will definitely consider it :)
Nws :)
UWS pathway is far easier than UNSW pathway.
However, the competition is still intense. It is relatively easy to maintain a GPA of >5.5 in the course (almost everyone in the courses meet the threshold), it just comes down to the UMAT to select those students for the interview. Once you get selected for the interview, you get treated just like any other candidate.

Edit: Feel free to try something different if you're not sure/confident about this pathway. I assure you that a GPA of 5.75 is achievable in any degree, as long as you're good in that. It all comes down to the Umat :/

Good luck!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)