medical science questions :) (1 Viewer)

mike12345678

HSC
hey ppl i have a few questions

1) i did 3 unit maths in hsc and achieved a 94 in 2u and 45/50 in 3u and i need to pick my level of maths for the course. Should i choose the fundamental maths and do extremely well in it or the normal maths level and probably struggle a little? i also have the same problem for biology chemistry and physics.

i there any sort of scaling involved in these subjects or anything of this sort. i am trying to maximize my WAM/GPA so that i can transfer into medicine.

2) do i do a major in the first year or is this only for the final year? how does this work?

3) i am considering majoring in anatomy and histology or physiology and wanted to know which subjects would be helpful for this.

4)what is mblg?

thankyou

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
1) Bridging courses are available but studying fundamental units of those subjects is kind of the same deal.

2) You don't need to decide on a major now (first year) but you will need some idea because certain units in second and third year will require certain prerequisites."

3) Apparently it is essential to have 12CP of BIOL/PSYC - but stick to the B Med Sci structure/study plan and here is the pathway to the anatomy and histology major/units through Med Sci: http://sydney.edu.au/medicine/anatomy/current-student/units-study/bmedsci-pathway.php . There is one for Physiology as well.

4) MBLG is Molecular Biology - a mixture of biology and chemistry in one and many people who only have a biology background but not a chemistry one will find this unit difficult but put in the effort to keep up and you will surely pass.

o0ohouseo0o

HSC
1 - you should be fine with regular, I got similar marks to you - 46/50 in 3U and 95 in 2U and did fairly well in regular maths (credits and distinctions). As far as I know there isn't much scaling
2 - you major in 3rd year, but you might need to do certain subjects in second year for some majors
3 - Have a look here for which subjects are recommended for which major
4 - Molecular Biology and Genetics. Goes into DNA, amino acids, things like that, it's a fairly difficult subject but it is compulsory for medical science

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
If you got 45/50 for Extension 1 Maths, you shouldn't have any problems with normal maths units.

mike12345678

HSC
THanks for all your answers.
One thing no answered was if there is any type of scaling involved in picking more difficult subjects. Ie fundamental compared to normal conpared to advanced. If not wouldnt it be better to pick the lower level maths to get a better wam/gpa

mike12345678

HSC
THanks for all your answers.
One thing no answered was if there is any type of scaling involved in picking more difficult subjects. Ie fundamental compared to normal conpared to advanced. If not wouldnt it be better to pick the lower level maths to get a better wam/gpa

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)