medical science...useless? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I've heard it occasionally....people saying that unless you use it to get into med/surgery there is not much use to do medical science...

What careers can one persue with a B med sci... Has anyone has issues with finding work after completing their course?

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
Dont always believe what others say. They wouldnt have med sci if it were useless, im pretty sure after completing it u can work in pathologies and also get into grad school of medicine.

perky4

HSC
Hakz said:
Dont always believe what others say. They wouldnt have med sci if it were useless, im pretty sure after completing it u can work in pathologies and also get into grad school of medicine.
correct!

gracie007

HSC
just do what you want to do! so many people on this board are concerned with future careers and making money...yes that matters but we are soo young! just pick something you reckon you'll enjoy! no matter what you do, if ur good at it, you will succeed.
i personally would love to do med sci as a degree because i just love learning about science in general/the human body/ how cells work etc etc in terms of the medical field, but i would never want to be a doctor!
everyones different

HSC
thanx for the reassurance guys...i think i wanted to be persuaded...

Yeah i too want to do it because it looks really interesting but i dont wanna be a doctor >< so it looks pretty good :) hope i get in
[even if my chances are slim XD]

krayzie_

HSC
Don't worry you will get in.

If your worried, check seek.com or other job sites and search laboratory positions - generally speaking they want a B.Science or any science degree since the cores are pretty much the same. However having said that I have seen alot of places advertising and they "don't" care about what Bachelor's degree you have - an example of this I saw quite a few times are they want at least Honours or a higher degree meaning masters or even PhD.

And from my opinion - people who say its useless don't have a brain. You should ask some people who is actually doing the degree in question and see if they think its useless. I don't think its that useless =D Cos I'm planning to major in Biomedical Science too =D

HSC
yeah i had a look and it does look like a lot of science degrees are put in the same bunch...oh higher degrees o_O hehe guess i shouldnt think so far ahead... ^^

Oh biomed that's pretty cool :D (its in one of my preferences) yeah i feel okay about my preferences because i've applied for b sci and biotech and the others at uts...and the first year is all pretty much the same subs give or take a few...so if i dont get a 80s uai i can transfer if i don't screw up that year...things are looking alright now *phew*

mewantcookies

HSC
N/A
im doing med sci now.... and its good! cause there's alot you can do with it.. and plus.. you can get into grad med easier cause GAMSAT is based on first year chem and bio.. and thats all you do in your first year really... my friends are doing GAMSAT in their second year... since its valid for 2 years.. and plus. you can always be a pathologist or work in a med lab in a hospital... and if you change your mind in becoming a doctor.. you can always do that too... he he... the teachers are great... some are humorous..

K

katie_tully

Technically you're not a 'pathologist', as pathologists are doctors. But yes, you can be a hospital scientist, you can work in pathology, you can work in research, you can work in health promotion, the list is endless.

i wouldnt be doing it if it were a useless degree.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
mewantcookies said:
im doing med sci now.... and its good! cause there's alot you can do with it.. and plus.. you can get into grad med easier cause GAMSAT is based on first year chem and bio.. and thats all you do in your first year really... my friends are doing GAMSAT in their second year... since its valid for 2 years.. and plus. you can always be a pathologist or work in a med lab in a hospital... and if you change your mind in becoming a doctor.. you can always do that too... he he... the teachers are great... some are humorous..
How can your friends do GAMSAT when they are not in their final year?

mewantcookies

HSC
N/A
they said its valid for two years... so if you get passed the exam and interview and they give you a place you can postpone it ... but its only valid for 2 years... and they are doing it in their second year just in case they dont get through the interview process then they can try again in their final year.. my friends have the knowledge to ace the exam... they are just worried about the interview...LOL

loser101

HSC
Hakz said:
only if u get a high enough GPA.

grad med schools dont give preferencial treatment to people who have done Medical Science. you are competing against everone else based on GPA.

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
Just throwing up another option as an example... You can do another degree afterwards which will give you an awesome edge e.g. law. As long as you like Med Sci and you can hold a credit-distinction average you can get into pretty much any other degree after it.

If you worried about money, there is this guy in Sydney who did MedSci followed by Law and now he gives expert evidence in cases where its needed. He charges a good $5000-10000 a report and $2000 per day for court appearance lol - that's only one avenue.

Like i always say, as long as you like what you do, your more than likely going to succeed.

loser101

HSC
theres also a guy who never even completed high school. he went on to become Prime Minister. so everyone here should just drop out, you may be a prime minister one day (true story)

:D

doink

Clone
HSC
Hakz said:
You're right, universities would not make a course in order to get money off all the people who couldn't get into medicine, for that would be greedy and business centric of universities.

It would be like implementing a system to give people required or assumed knowledge for degrees in a short amount of time when they really give little to no knowledge just to make more money... oh wait.

If you are willing to settle for not getting into medicine then you should have no trouble doing just BMedSci, another option is to always combine MedSci with other degrees, also dont look at the statistics that show that the majority of people who are in MBBS are from MedSci, the only reason that is is because everyone in MedSci wants to do MBBS however it really doesnt matter which degree you do undergrad as long as you can justify it and perform well in the GAMSAT

powerdrive

HSC
not everyone who does med sci gets into med, so yes med sci is useless

K

katie_tully

powerdrive said:
not everyone who does med sci gets into med, so yes med sci is useless
dude, medsc is only useless when you use it to get into med and fail
otherwise it's a kickass degree
gtfo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)