Medical Science ... which UNI ? =D (1 Viewer)

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
Joined
Dec 26, 2006
Messages
1,347
Location
Sydney
Gender
Male
HSC
2007
hey hey guys.
was wondering , would you be able to tell me which uni`s ( in NSW ) have med science .. and which ones would be the best ones to go to ?

um at the moment , i know of :
UOW , USYD , UNSW , UTS , UWS

help would be appreciated =D
 

liverpool3k

Banned
Joined
Mar 28, 2006
Messages
272
Gender
Male
HSC
2006
I suggest you check out the uni websites. Which you appear to have done... so, kudos.

As to which would be best, a Go8 uni is a safe bet.
 

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
Joined
Dec 26, 2006
Messages
1,347
Location
Sydney
Gender
Male
HSC
2007
liverpool3k said:
I suggest you check out the uni websites. Which you appear to have done... so, kudos.

As to which would be best, a Go8 uni is a safe bet.
Thanks bunches , liverpool3k ! :)
 

fernando

Poo
Joined
Jul 21, 2004
Messages
839
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
N/A
i'm pretty sure MAQ has it, but i think UNSW would be pretty good.
 

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
Joined
Dec 26, 2006
Messages
1,347
Location
Sydney
Gender
Male
HSC
2007
oh does MaQ have it too ? i thought maQ was an accounting or whatever based uni .. so i didn't check xD
 

sladehk

le random
Joined
Jul 26, 2004
Messages
1,001
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
2006
i hear usyd and unsw is good for med science
 

rusty_rouge

Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2004
Messages
154
Location
Sydney
Gender
Female
HSC
2005
I did first year med sci at USYD - hated it - its maths, biology, physics and chemistry for a year! And let's not forget the molecular biology. Friends continuing say it's 'alright', but they're not sure where it's going a lot of the time.

If I had to start again (and wasn't doing medicine), I'd have picked Med Sci at UWS, because I like their resources, and they get straight into the interesting stuff the first year :)

Hope that helps - kinda...
 

wind

Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2004
Messages
213
Gender
Male
HSC
2004
rusty_rouge said:
I did first year med sci at USYD - hated it - its maths, biology, physics and chemistry for a year! And let's not forget the molecular biology. Friends continuing say it's 'alright', but they're not sure where it's going a lot of the time.

If I had to start again (and wasn't doing medicine), I'd have picked Med Sci at UWS, because I like their resources, and they get straight into the interesting stuff the first year :)

Hope that helps - kinda...
Why would you want to get into the thick of things when you still haven't covered the basics? You need a foundation before you can start building.


Anyways, UNSW is where it's at.

I go there so no bias at all :p
 

rusty_rouge

Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2004
Messages
154
Location
Sydney
Gender
Female
HSC
2005
Haha, coz that year was hell - it felt really irrelevant and nitpicky. Most people don't choose med science because they love maths - gosh, so much maths....
 

wind

Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2004
Messages
213
Gender
Male
HSC
2004
Yeah I know what you mean though.

First year was all over the place lol.
 

Sparcod

Hello!
Joined
Dec 31, 2004
Messages
2,085
Location
Suburbia
Gender
Male
HSC
2006
The threadstarter is spoilt for choice! Med science is offered everywhere!
 

Survivor39

Premium Member
Joined
May 23, 2003
Messages
4,467
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
2003
Yep - Medical science or biomedical science is pretty much offered at any university.

And yes, first year is quite boring, but you need the basics to go on. For me, I found biology useful because the fundamentals of the medical sciences are biology-related. However, some degrees require you to do physics, which is less related. Chemistry is sort of in between but I think even without chemistry, I think I would have been fine. As to maths, hmm.. not really..

The point is, they just want everyone to be on a level playing field from second year and start the interesting stuff, like how bacteria and viruses causes diseases, the human anatomy, DNA structures etc.

Overall, I don't think it matters which uni you choose to do your Med Science degree, they all teach you textbook stuff. We all have to learn about T and B cells, bacteria, transcription and translation and their regulations, the metabolic pathways of biochemistry etc. so it really makes no difference which uni you go to, but it's really up to you how much you are willing to learn.

I hope this helps with your decision making.
 

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
Joined
Dec 26, 2006
Messages
1,347
Location
Sydney
Gender
Male
HSC
2007
Survivor39 said:
Yep - Medical science or biomedical science is pretty much offered at any university.

And yes, first year is quite boring, but you need the basics to go on. For me, I found biology useful because the fundamentals of the medical sciences are biology-related. However, some degrees require you to do physics, which is less related. Chemistry is sort of in between but I think even without chemistry, I think I would have been fine. As to maths, hmm.. not really..

The point is, they just want everyone to be on a level playing field from second year and start the interesting stuff, like how bacteria and viruses causes diseases, the human anatomy, DNA structures etc.

Overall, I don't think it matters which uni you choose to do your Med Science degree, they all teach you textbook stuff. We all have to learn about T and B cells, bacteria, transcription and translation and their regulations, the metabolic pathways of biochemistry etc. so it really makes no difference which uni you go to, but it's really up to you how much you are willing to learn.

I hope this helps with your decision making.
Thanks , survivor39.
That helped heaps =D
 

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
Joined
Mar 25, 2007
Messages
1,158
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
N/A
rusty_rouge said:
I did first year med sci at USYD - hated it - its maths, biology, physics and chemistry for a year! And let's not forget the molecular biology. Friends continuing say it's 'alright', but they're not sure where it's going a lot of the time.

If I had to start again (and wasn't doing medicine), I'd have picked Med Sci at UWS, because I like their resources, and they get straight into the interesting stuff the first year :)

Hope that helps - kinda...
That's exactly right. It's like doing the HSC all over again.
med sci at usyd is terrible

How'd you get into med?

trade you med sci for med...
:(
 
Last edited:

mis_0310

eumelio
Joined
Nov 18, 2004
Messages
6
Gender
Female
HSC
2006
I'm doing first year med sci right now, in usyd. And i agree.. it's quite.. torturous.. especially the prac hours.. 5 hours of MBLG and 3 hours of physics and chem (and bio in 1st sem).

I reckon if you want to, do med sci in a different uni.
most other ones get you started on human stuff from the beginning.
 

Survivor39

Premium Member
Joined
May 23, 2003
Messages
4,467
Gender
Undisclosed
HSC
2003
I think most unis are like that with first year med science, to help students with no previous background on chem/maths/bio. But everyone knows first year is the worst year of uni in terms of learning and teaching.

Recently UNSW introduced anatomy into first year MedSc, which was nice.
 

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
Joined
Dec 26, 2006
Messages
1,347
Location
Sydney
Gender
Male
HSC
2007
mis_0310 said:
I'm doing first year med sci right now, in usyd. And i agree.. it's quite.. torturous.. especially the prac hours.. 5 hours of MBLG and 3 hours of physics and chem (and bio in 1st sem).

I reckon if you want to, do med sci in a different uni.
most other ones get you started on human stuff from the beginning.
oh is it that bad ><
 

crystal_meth_au

New Member
Joined
May 7, 2004
Messages
20
Gender
Male
HSC
2004
im a third year student of the medical science dagree at charles sturt with my major in pathology so im slightly bias toward good ol CSU, but if you wanna do medSci in a NSW uni i strongly advise you to do it at CSU or UTS because the other degree's are not accredited by the australian institue of medical scientist and you may have trouble finding jobs as a scientific officer/hospital scientist, and more or less with an undergraduate degree thats what medsci enables you to work as.

you can get accredited with another dagree, but you have to do additional units via AIMS, and by the time you finish uni trust me you'll be over heamatology/biochem ect.

cheers

PS yes biomedical/medical/applied science (medical laboratory science) are all the same

DONT do it at ANU, we have soooo many medSci student from there TRYING to get into csu because apparantly its a joke at ANU
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top