• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Medical Science (2 Viewers)

Collin

HSC
N/A
I'm not even doing BMedSci.. or else my post would of been ':uhoh:'.

:p

saves.the.day

HSC
well.. there was a post some time ago.. a little searching should bring it up where it stated some persons sister did med sci and finished it and is now working in mitre 10 as a checkout person.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by saves.the.day
well.. there was a post some time ago.. a little searching should bring it up where it stated some persons sister did med sci and finished it and is now working in mitre 10 as a checkout person.
Maybe she only got a Pass average. Of course Lab/company wants studetns with HD and D average...Who wants people with a Pass/credit average?? pfft
Same goes for all other courses.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by xiao1985
MBBS = Medicinæ Baccalaureus, Baccalaureus Chirugiæ
in english: Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery

thanks lexi for the translation =)
Damnit Xiao, stole my thunder!

One of my lecturers came up with this neat little equation to answer any and all questions about BMedSci, anywhere.

BMedSci = B.GAMSAT

Where GAMSAT is the Graduate Australian Medical Schools' Admissions Test. Case in point.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Lolz@ lexi..

yer if ure not dedicated to do a PhD, postgrad etc in med sci.. its pretti much wat u do for a sci degree but more medical..

medicine is like med sci but with actual ppl.. (cept path..then ure a doc that just delivers results :D)

med sci is a realli compact degree with heaps of flexibility but in Oz.. sadly research isnt that high in priority/prestige compared to europe and US..
It allows u to go far if ure motivated and interested.. i kno 2 PhD's in the field and they ARE successful and love it..

some of my tutors and lecturers are medical science grads.. and they do very interesting work

Last edited:

Collin

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lexicographer

One of my lecturers came up with this neat little equation to answer any and all questions about BMedSci, anywhere.

BMedSci = B.GAMSAT

Where GAMSAT is the Graduate Australian Medical Schools' Admissions Test. Case in point.
Until 2005 at USYD.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lexicographer
hahaha!! =p

soz lexi... but i mentioned the source and included in my bibli.... so you can't say i am plagerising =p

Collin

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by saves.the.day
WHat happens after 2005?
A criteria of distinction average for your Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Medical Science undergraduate degree is the prerequiste replacement over the GAMSAT exam for entry into MBBS.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by JKDDragon
A criteria of distinction average for your Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Medical Science undergraduate degree is the prerequiste replacement over the GAMSAT exam for entry into MBBS.
I don't know why they even do a science degree to get into med. Just do an Arts degree and do Postgrad med instead. It is cheaper in terms of HECS and easier and more interesting subjects to choose from.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Well science is just slightly more relevant to medicine than Arts.. just a little bit lol. :p

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Well science is just slightly more relevant to medicine than Arts.. just a little bit lol. :p
But who fucking cares about relevance? People who got into first year med from high school didn't do a science degree beforehand anyway! What difference does it make if they did an Arts degree before gaining entry to Med?

Collin

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Survivor39
But who fucking cares about relevance? People who got into first year med from high school didn't do a science degree beforehand anyway! What difference does it make if they did an Arts degree before gaining entry to Med?
Who fucking not cares about relevance? :rolleyes:

Who do you think gets a headstart in coursework, someone who undertook undergraduate Science, in which chances are they would of done quite a few subjects related to the field of medicine, or someone who just did.. Arts.

Have some common sense.

jay2000

Highest Member
HSC
Does that mean anyone who has a distinction average will be accepted in? Well, i mean the top however many people from BMedSci and nothing else is taken into account?

Collin

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by jay2000
Does that mean anyone who has a distinction average will be accepted in? Well, i mean the top however many people from BMedSci and nothing else is taken into account?
Well there is an interview to aid the slicing off of the lower distinction averagers', since chances are there will obviously be more distinction averagers than the amount of spaces available. Then they'll also be students with undergrads who didn't do BSc or BMedSci, who WILL need to undertake the GAMSAT exam, so it's still overall very competitive.

jay2000

Highest Member
HSC
ah...dentistry has a slightly lower entrance requirement...right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)