Medical Science?!?!?!?!!??!?!?!?! (1 Viewer)

kido525

HSC
Im thining of Doing MEDICAL SCIENCE at UWS but i dno which campus to choose i live in the south western region and i have a choice between THE CAMBELLTOWN CAMPUS, OR THE HAWKESBURY CAMPUS cambelltown campus seems more old fashion and looks boring but hawksbury looks livelier i dno im just speaking my mind if ne1 who has been to these campuses and knows the atmosphere around them may u please leave ur opinions on which would be best????

Also How is the Penrith campus??

kido525

HSC
natstar said:
Didnt you want to do Engineering?

I havent been to either of the campuses, but from photos the Cambelltown campus is more modern, why the Hawkesbury campus is of a more rural farm like setting becuase much of the ag type subjects are there. If you live in the sth western region your probably better off going to cambelltown.

Penrith campus is pretty good. One of the most populated campuses

yea thx heaps nat that made my choice much easier...

Well its just down to engineering or medical science cambelltown seems closer and convenient while penrith would require some travel , i feel alittle down for my hope to make it into civil engineering UTS but some people said engineering cutoffs will raise by heaps like 82-88 >< and the 2005 uai was 75.0 and i thought i had hope when i done the multiple criteria questionairre which should have gave me more chance awwww ><

But hey theirs always that Transfering option if i try my hardest

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Hawkesbury campus is sometimes a pain in the ass to get to by transport (trains). But its a good campus, its actually really good to study in because its out in nowheresville. Its a rural setting like nat said, because mainly environmental and agricultural subjects are taught there.

kido525

HSC
Cape said:
Hawkesbury campus is sometimes a pain in the ass to get to by transport (trains). But its a good campus, its actually really good to study in because its out in nowheresville. Its a rural setting like nat said, because mainly environmental and agricultural subjects are taught there.

ahhh i see thx for the replies i hav now gained a beter insight as to which campus i should take into consideration

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
i'm doin med sci, at hawkes....izzorite, but for med, campbelltown has more resources, but in the end it's the same course, so chose where it would be more comfortable for you, considering travel n stuff.

kido525

HSC
sparkl3z said:
i'm doin med sci, at hawkes....izzorite, but for med, campbelltown has more resources, but in the end it's the same course, so chose where it would be more comfortable for you, considering travel n stuff.

yep i think im sticking to cambelltown i live in the south western region

So do u know what we are gonna expect with medical science , it sure looks good at first glance and im already interested , wat majors can we do?

kitty28

Hey, I'm doing my second year B Med Science (Biomedical Science major) at Hawkesbury next year.
The course so far has been interesting but the first year consisted of mostly general science units (just as many other science degrees are). Second and third year units are more specific to the major that you choose.

There are three majors offered for those starting Medical Science in 2006:
* Biomedical Science
* Medicinal Chemistry (only offered at Campbelltown) and
* Human Bioscience

The UAI cut-off for Med Sci at Campbelltown is usually a few points higher than at Hawkesbury.

Also, Campbelltown has some units which are not available at Hawkesbury. I'll most probably be doing a few as electives at Campbelltown in my third year - e.g 300324.1 - Pharmacological Chemistry.

kido525

HSC
Eowyn said:
Hey, I'm doing my second year B Med Science (Biomedical Science major) at Hawkesbury next year.
The course so far has been interesting but the first year consisted of mostly general science units (just as many other science degrees are). Second and third year units are more specific to the major that you choose.

There are three majors offered for those starting Medical Science in 2006:
* Biomedical Science
* Medicinal Chemistry (only offered at Campbelltown) and
* Human Bioscience

The UAI cut-off for Med Sci at Campbelltown is usually a few points higher than at Hawkesbury.

Also, Campbelltown has some units which are not available at Hawkesbury. I'll most probably be doing a few as electives at Campbelltown in my third year - e.g 300324.1 - Pharmacological Chemistry.

oh wow these majors are like new to me i havent heard of em with a medical science degree are work opportunities easy to find and what would be our approx annual salary , can we work our way up to being a pharmacist or optomotrist or thats a completely different route????

L

LaraB

just as a side point - those interested in medicine related fields - keep in mind there is the traditional chinese medicine course - not sure if that's the actual name but its something to that effect..

its not at uws as such as far as i can gather - its a colleg affiliated with uws - but there should be some info on it somewhere on the uws site if you're interested in the more alternative/traditional medicine courses

kitty28

kido525 - I'm not really sure how easy it is for Med Sci graduates to find work opportunities and what the average annual salary is. Try looking in the Job Guide 2005 - http://www.jobguide.dest.gov.au/
Med Sci can lead you to a career in medical research for private companies and hospitals or you can use it as a stepping stone to pursue a degree in Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Opotometry, etc. UWS doesn't offer any of these courses but I think there will be a new medical school in UWS starting in 2007.
If you wanted to become a Pharmacist, for example, you could either complete 1 year at uni AND have at least a GPA of 6 (Distinction) or higher and then apply to transfer to another uni that offers Pharmacy. OR you could complete a full degree with at least a distinction average and then apply. There are also other requirements such as the STAT test and sometimes an interview.

Here is some info from the Job Guide:

Employment Opportunities:
Most medical scientists work in the health industry, especially in hospitals. There are also employment opportunities in universities and research organisations. Limited opportunities also exist in the private sector. There is a relatively stable employment base in the public sector because of government responsibility for monitoring, testing and maintaining health standards.

It is a large occupation with very good employment prospects. Factors that may affect employment include the number and type of tests required to research, diagnose and treat diseases and the incidence of new diseases.

Here is the link to info on a career as a Medical Scientist:

http://jobguide.thegoodguides.com.au/text/jobdetails.cfm?jobid=146

Last edited by a moderator:
L

LaraB

just something i've noticed a lot of people keep bringing up -

DO NOT BASE YOUR COURSE CHOICE ON PROBABILITY OF "X" SALARY BASED ON AVERAGES!!!!!

you have no way of knowing what jobs people took and why... eg if a uni has 10 law grads with an average salary of $90k but another has 10 with an average of $70k... it may make the 2nd uni look less 'worthy' and make the course appear less 'worthwhile' - however, if half the tsudents at the 2nd uni are doing legal aid or pro bono work by choice, and the rest are all earing 100k+ it suddenly changes your perception..

add to that that some unis are older and some courses at some unis are older which impacts the success of graduates..

plus - neva mind the fact that you shouldn't base your career choice solely on money:p

kido525

HSC
natstar said:
What career do you want to actually look at doing? Engineering and medical science are quite different.
I heard u can do a COmbined B Engineering and B medical science?

L

LaraB

kido525 said:
I heard u can do a COmbined B Engineering and B medical science?
well..what you heard isn't important - what's important is if its in teh UAC guide and if UWS says they offer it..

here's the link for all current/2006 undergrad. courses: http://www.uws.edu.au/studyoptions/australian/undergraduate/courselist#5

if it's not there then its not offered...

as far as i can see there is no such course at uws... you may be thinking of another uni?

kido525

HSC
Eowyn said:
kido525 - I'm not really sure how easy it is for Med Sci graduates to find work opportunities and what the average annual salary is. Try looking in the Job Guide 2005 - http://www.jobguide.dest.gov.au/
Med Sci can lead you to a career in medical research for private companies and hospitals or you can use it as a stepping stone to pursue a degree in Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Opotometry, etc. UWS doesn't offer any of these courses but I think there will be a new medical school in UWS starting in 2007.
If you wanted to become a Pharmacist, for example, you could either complete 1 year at uni AND have at least a GPA of 6 (Distinction) or higher and then apply to transfer to another uni that offers Pharmacy. OR you could complete a full degree with at least a distinction average and then apply. There are also other requirements such as the STAT test and sometimes an interview.

Here is some info from the Job Guide:

Employment Opportunities:
Most medical scientists work in the health industry, especially in hospitals. There are also employment opportunities in universities and research organisations. Limited opportunities also exist in the private sector. There is a relatively stable employment base in the public sector because of government responsibility for monitoring, testing and maintaining health standards.

It is a large occupation with very good employment prospects. Factors that may affect employment include the number and type of tests required to research, diagnose and treat diseases and the incidence of new diseases.

Here is the link to info on a career as a Medical Scientist:

http://jobguide.thegoodguides.com.au/text/jobdetails.cfm?jobid=146

THis is such a great reply and advice : i would like to thank you for ur time in helping me and teaching me the options available if i wanted to advance to a higher uai course i am currently on a stumbling block choosing between medical science or civil engineering both have good career options and are interesting in my piece of mind i still have like a few weeks to make a decision and choose a course which could be my future career , engineering seems more demanding and requires much more mathematical stuff as far as i know and the pass rate seems to be low but civil engineering seems to be fairly better off then the other engineeing courses , with medical science i could use it as a stepping stone if i wanted to pursue a dream in pharmacy for e.g. this would be such awonderful career if i made it this far, thus right now i have the most important decision as to what course i should choose the subjects i done in yr 12 were standard english, 2 and 3unit maths but i dropped 3u halfway midyear, physics, chemistry and ancient history i got a uai of 68.55 but i would only consider engineering and medical science at UWS for the time being i put civil engineering as my first preference at UTS which requires a uai cutoff of 75.0 (2005) and i did the multiple criteria questionaiire which should help so right now im on a stumbling block between the 2 if ne1 else has nemore advice or personal opinions about the 2 choices please post it here .......

i sincerely thank you everyone who has helped me make my decision a wise choice as this would help not only me but also those who are in the same boat as me thx ^^

kitty28

kido525 said:
THis is such a great reply and advice : i would like to thank you for ur time in helping me and teaching me the options available if i wanted to advance to a higher uai course i am currently on a stumbling block choosing between medical science or civil engineering both have good career options and are interesting in my piece of mind i still have like a few weeks to make a decision and choose a course which could be my future career , engineering seems more demanding and requires much more mathematical stuff as far as i know and the pass rate seems to be low but civil engineering seems to be fairly better off then the other engineeing courses , with medical science i could use it as a stepping stone if i wanted to pursue a dream in pharmacy for e.g. this would be such awonderful career if i made it this far, thus right now i have the most important decision as to what course i should choose the subjects i done in yr 12 were standard english, 2 and 3unit maths but i dropped 3u halfway midyear, physics, chemistry and ancient history i got a uai of 68.55 but i would only consider engineering and medical science at UWS for the time being i put civil engineering as my first preference at UTS which requires a uai cutoff of 75.0 (2005) and i did the multiple criteria questionaiire which should help so right now im on a stumbling block between the 2 if ne1 else has nemore advice or personal opinions about the 2 choices please post it here .......

i sincerely thank you everyone who has helped me make my decision a wise choice as this would help not only me but also those who are in the same boat as me thx ^^
No problem - glad I could help.
Just use these next few weeks to relax and decide what YOU really want. In the end if you feel that engineering or medical science or another course, is the right course for you, then do it. Don't let anyone stop you to pursue what you want to do.
Good luck for the uni offers and feel free to ask any more questions...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)