Medicine at Monash Or Melbourne Uni? (1 Viewer)

Callan Lowe

HSC
Hey everyone,
I'm aiming to do medicine, and if I can't get into the bachelor of medicine/surgery at Monash i'm wondering if it's better to do post grad medicine at Melbourne Uni or Monash? If anyone is doing these courses or knows anyone with experience, please give me a yell
Cheers!

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
Hey everyone,
I'm aiming to do medicine, and if I can't get into the bachelor of medicine/surgery at Monash i'm wondering if it's better to do post grad medicine at Melbourne Uni or Monash? If anyone is doing these courses or knows anyone with experience, please give me a yell
Cheers!
Im no expert in grad med but ill just offer my 2c.

Nobody really knows how good the new Doctor of Medicine program at Melbourne Uni is since the first batch still haven't graduated. If you want to do grad Med at Monash, you will be studying at the Gippsland campus in Churchill meaning your living away from home in a rural town. May not be appealing to some people.

ultraman8

Banned
HSC
N/A
I wouldn't suggest post grad unless you have monies and time to spare. Otherwise it's not worth it.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
One could argue its exactly the same.

B Med Sci (Undergrad Degree), followed immediately by mbbs = 7 years

MBBS, then do 1 year B Med Sci (Research for med) = 7 Years

Even if you don't do the B Med Sci (Med) / Honours for med, its 6 years, whereas post-grad gives you an extra degree in addition to your mbbs - very useful in internships, residency applications (provided the undergrad degree is medically orientated - med sci, anatomy, pathology, etc)

Unless if you're rich - Bond would get you there in 4.5 years, but crappy education really by that uni as said by drs in qld.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Unless if you're rich - Bond would get you there in 4.5 years, but crappy education really by that uni as said by drs in qld.
I'd have to disagree with that. It might not be the Uni's fault but the students themselves. The content and curriculum of every medical school is tightly monitored by the AMA and all pass with flying colours.

Post grad med isn't that much more of your life in the grand scheme of things if it means getting into your dream career.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
One could argue its exactly the same.

B Med Sci (Undergrad Degree), followed immediately by mbbs = 7 years

MBBS, then do 1 year B Med Sci (Research for med) = 7 Years

Even if you don't do the B Med Sci (Med) / Honours for med, its 6 years, whereas post-grad gives you an extra degree in addition to your mbbs - very useful in internships, residency applications (provided the undergrad degree is medically orientated - med sci, anatomy, pathology, etc)

ur forgetting the places that do it in 5. 2 years can mean quite a bit of difference. 1 year of salary vs 1 year of paying 9k in HECs. difference = up to 70k.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
pumping doctors out in less time and less money sounds fabulous, but undermines the unseen factors of what might make a good doctor in the future. I would think there's a reason why the undergrad course has traditionally been 6 years, and should not be as short as post-grad.

Refer to the April medical observer mag, many graduates are aware (70ish %) that their pharmacological knowledge is way below what they should really know as an intern.

Last edited:

ultraman8

Banned
HSC
N/A
Why would you waste another 2 years of your life when you could be making 1mil+ a year. I say just graduate as a doctor.

ibbi00

HSC
Why would you waste another 2 years of your life when you could be making 1mil+ a year. I say just graduate as a doctor.
No doctor/surgeon earns that much unless they've been working for a significant number of years...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)