Medicine at UQ (1 Viewer)

prime-factor

HSC
Hello. I was wondering if anybody here is currently studying Medicine at UQ?.
What do you think of the Uni, how is the course?

Also if anybody is planning/aiming to study medicine at UQ from queensland?

lionking1191

HSC
Hello. I was wondering if anybody here is currently studying Medicine at UQ?.
What do you think of the Uni, how is the course?

Also if anybody is planning/aiming to study medicine at UQ from queensland?
Well I'm taking arts next year as my provisional dual degree, and will start med in 2011.

The course is a graduate program as you probably know so it's 4 years, shorter semester breaks and possible less elective subjects. UQ is G8/U21 so quite decent in terms of research and lecturer quality, but its criticism is probably the tutor>student ratio as it has quite a large cohort (300~).

prime-factor

HSC
Cool. That sounds like it will be very interesting :).
Thanks for the reply. What sort of OP did you get?

lionking1191

HSC
Cool. That sounds like it will be very interesting :).
Thanks for the reply. What sort of OP did you get?
OP1/99.50, but they also have a bonus point system where if you can get a maximum of 5 bonus points by doing subjects of LOTEs, and Maths C (4u maths)

prime-factor

HSC
WOW!, Congratulations:).
I do Maths B, Maths C. Biology. Chemistry. Physics and English
So I am hoping that the extra points will help maximize results.\

What was your strategy to excel so well? What subjects did you study?

lionking1191

HSC
WOW!, Congratulations:).
I do Maths B, Maths C. Biology. Chemistry. Physics and English
So I am hoping that the extra points will help maximize results.\

What was your strategy to excel so well? What subjects did you study?
ohh congrats you only need an ENTER of 98 to be past the OP hurdle for provisonal entry! based on this year's figures you won't need too high a UMAT either, i heard people with as low a raw marks in the 160s who got in - and that's first round :confused:

my HSC subjects were 3u maths (maths B equivalent?) 2u maths (A?), english adv, modern history, economics and physics - not very geared towards medicine so i'l probably need bridging courses later. i don't think our systems are quite the same so im afraid i can't give u help u in the respect

prime-factor

HSC
Okay :) .
That's good news. Only thing is there are only about 100 Commonwealth positions available where I am in Brisbane , which I think means a guaranteed place + fee payment help. Also, from the 40,000+ OP people, 640 +/- (1-5) got an OP 1. Which is about 1-2%. What do you think about this figure?

lionking1191

HSC
Okay :) .
That's good news. Only thing is there are only about 100 Commonwealth positions available where I am in Brisbane , which I think means a guaranteed place + fee payment help. Also, from the 40,000+ OP people, 640 +/- (1-5) got an OP 1. Which is about 1-2%. What do you think about this figure?
i think they increased the intake this year by another 50, which might explain the massive drop in UMAT threshold from 178 to 16x. just work hard on getting that OP1/98, the rest will take care of itself. all the best with the year ahead and hope to see you next year! :D

dr pete

HSC
yea i'm from qld and hopin to do either medicine or dent at UQ '10.:headbang:
good luck to all u. does anyone know where they do UMAT in brisbane?:confused:

Trev

stix
HSC
I have several friends currently doing medicine at UQ. They all love it. It's quite full on - two days a week they have 11 hours, the other days are probably around 5-6. From first year they start clinical at Herston. I know one that was accepted into medicine pre-grad (when they only had 50 places), you must complete a science degree in 2 years with a GPA over 5.0 (credit average) in order to continue onto your spot in med (I think he had a 6.85ish GPA). Others did GAMSAT, getting scores of 66, 68 and 72. As long as you've already completed a degree and graduated with a GPA above 5.0, the selection process no longer involves an interview but you are ranked by your GAMSAT score and offered a position from that.
So yeah, that's all I can think of at the moment. Hope it helps.

dr pete

HSC
yea everything's helpful. it's really good to hear that they like it because i used to be keen on doing engineering but then i heard so many bad comments about it and i found out why firt hand wen i did work experience. as for entry pathways, i'm hoping i can get a place in the provisional quota though, so i wont need to do GAMSAT though, but thanks heaps mate.

dr pete

HSC
just a question re clinical placements in ur final two years which i suppose would be applicable to all med school, do u get paid for these clinical placements or are they unpaid?
also how much time would you spend doing clinical placements during these times?
do u still have lectures, etc?

dr pete

HSC
also i read in UMAT 2009 info booklet that UQ is offering 150csp's for 2010. is this more/less or the same as for this year?

MSELIM2

HSC
So does this mean if you don't get a UAI of 98 or higher getting in is impossible ??
I am starting to loose hope :(

dr pete

HSC
you need at least an OP1 or equivalent. i think UAI 98 is equivalent to an OP1. also UQ has a bonus rank system where if u do advanced maths, lote or a uni subject you get 2 bonus ranks which could be the difference between an OP2 or OP1.
hope that helps

Trev

stix
HSC
I think unless you get at OP1 or 99.00+ UAI you will not have a chance of getting into med at UQ undergrad. You have ALOT better chance of undergraduate med at Newcastle or UNSW. My friend was accepted into UNSW med with a UAI of ~91.50. She just went well in the interview and had marks of 98, 94 and 96 in the UMAT.

Panda1

HSC
I just got my umat results for 2009, not too great,

S1: 48
S2: 52
S3:75
Overal 175
Percentile: 86

I know that the minimum cut off for each section is 50 raw score. Does that mean I do not have a chance to get into UQ provisional med at all? Just because of my two points in section 1?

istheturkeyout

HSC
I just got my umat results for 2009, not too great,

S1: 48
S2: 52
S3:75
Overal 175
Percentile: 86

I know that the minimum cut off for each section is 50 raw score. Does that mean I do not have a chance to get into UQ provisional med at all? Just because of my two points in section 1?
is UMAT really that hard? and yeah.. you don't get in cause of the two points.. i went to a workshop at UQ for UMAT this year and that's what they say... i'm assuming your a girl cause according to them... section one is more leaning towards the male, then the second section is emotional and stuff which is great for the girls and the last section is spacial and finding patterns... anyway, i hope that they have changed it so you could at least get in... i've been told that the interview is also a major part inthe sorting process...

good luck

DistantCube

HSC
dr_pete, you don't get paid for any clinical placements at any time during the degree.

Re. patient contact; you do get some patient contact right off the bat. In 1st year, depending on your clinical coach, you might go once every couple of weeks to see real patients - otherwise you practice on each other and actors. In 2nd year, you see real patients once a week with your clinical coach, and then you are required to do some additionally yourself. The last two years are of course completely clinical.

/current MBBS

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)