• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Medicine in 2009 (1 Viewer)

partelephant

Monkey on a Rock
HSC
.blank said:
Just a question: what non-academic things do you need to do (e.g leadership, sports) to get into med? Are you at a disadvantage if you aren't a prefect and haven't represented your school in any sport? I'm looking at Usyd (combined med) but I'd appreciate UNSW info as well.
To be perfectly honest, from what I've heard, the USyd interview is basically a screening test for psychopaths i.e. you don't need to have done anything really. From what I've heard like 20 out of the 22 people interviewed this year got offered places - not sure how reliable this information is though.

As for non-academic stuff, you don't necessarily have had to been involved in formal leadership positions I don't think - as long as you can demonstrate instances where you have demonstrated those qualities. Of course its much easier if you've constantly been in a position of leadership but a lot of people can show that sort of stuff in everyday life. I personally found it very easy to talk about myself in the UNSW interview because I'd been in a lot of leadership positions/team situations.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
partelephant said:
To be perfectly honest, from what I've heard, the USyd interview is basically a screening test for psychopaths i.e. you don't need to have done anything really. From what I've heard like 20 out of the 22 people interviewed this year got offered places - not sure how reliable this information is though.

As for non-academic stuff, you don't necessarily have had to been involved in formal leadership positions I don't think - as long as you can demonstrate instances where you have demonstrated those qualities. Of course its much easier if you've constantly been in a position of leadership but a lot of people can show that sort of stuff in everyday life. I personally found it very easy to talk about myself in the UNSW interview because I'd been in a lot of leadership positions/team situations.
I'm sure the attrition rate for the interviews are much higher then that and it's not a psychology test, it's a MMI format interview where different people will ask you different things.

355 people were interviews for 229 places so i highly doubt that most of them were offered placed.

rooeys2

i like to laugh =)
HSC
nice thread =)
im interested in doin medicine im doin these subs
adv eng
maths ext 1
maths ext 2
bio
chem
and im droppin legal cuz i got like 73% in my 1st assessment
i dont think the umat courses are worth that much money, but i bought like loads of stuff from different coachn places, and im just goin to do the papers and stuff, i think theyv helped alot so far =)
also i have a question, im just starting to organise a work placement at a hospital but its gona waste like 1 week of school, so wood it be worth it? i heard work experience wood be useful at interviews and the application form, so yea..any ideas? thanks!

rooeys2

i like to laugh =)
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
do a week and see if u can even stand the lifestyle :p
lol did you do work experience at a hospital? if you did how was it and did it help in the interview?

im sorta worried about my scores so far after my first hsc assessment, i screwed up my math ext1 real bad here are my scores:
math ext 1 76% (prob ranked realiii low, we hav about 70-80 doin it)
math ext 2 78% prob my best so far, 4 or 5th not sure out of 60
adv eng 87% dno my rank but its outa 160ppl
bio 95%
chem -- havnt got it bak yet hopefuli it went well
what do u guys think? is this a bad start to yr12 considerin im aimin for med? im reali let down by my 3unit math

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
rooeys2 said:
lol did you do work experience at a hospital? if you did how was it and did it help in the interview?

im sorta worried about my scores so far after my first hsc assessment, i screwed up my math ext1 real bad here are my scores:
math ext 1 76% (prob ranked realiii low, we hav about 70-80 doin it)
math ext 2 78% prob my best so far, 4 or 5th not sure out of 60
adv eng 87% dno my rank but its outa 160ppl
bio 95%
chem -- havnt got it bak yet hopefuli it went well
what do u guys think? is this a bad start to yr12 considerin im aimin for med? im reali let down by my 3unit math
The interviewers may ask you, what perceptions of medicine do you have and you could answer it from the experience you've gained from your work exp, etc. They could ask you if you have had work exp and why you want to do med and how committed you are, i guess work exp is a good way to show that your greatly interested, etc.

Study hard ^^, you still have 3/4 to do theres still alot of room for improvement.

tgre.2001

HSC
Hey all hope is not lost if u don't get a uai of 95 to do med.
U can always get into medical science which will prepare u for med - but u will need to get distinctions.
Minimum UAI requirements for Medical science at UWS is from 62-65 (depending on what campus u choose - Hawkesbury or Campbelltown); and for ANU is 90.
My advice is don't give up hope if the front door is locked. Good luck with the HSC :)!

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
tgre.2001 said:
Hey all hope is not lost if u don't get a uai of 95 to do med.
U can always get into medical science which will prepare u for med - but u will need to get distinctions.
Minimum UAI requirements for Medical science at UWS is from 62-65 (depending on what campus u choose - Hawkesbury or Campbelltown); and for ANU is 90.
My advice is don't give up hope if the front door is locked. Good luck with the HSC :)!
Almost all of your info is outdated. Uni's such as Usyd reccommed that you do any undergrad degree to get into med, you have to remember 2 sections of the GAMSAT is based on writing and critical thinking while 1 section is based on 1st year chem and bio and yr 12 physics. You don't have to do med sci/bio med sci unless your at Umelb to get into medicine post-grad. There is not a min figure of 95 accross the board it really depends on the applicant and what position their applying for.

The minimum you need is credit average 5.5 but obtaining higher marks is advisable as a good GAMSAT and interview mark does not always guarentee entry.

Minimum UAI for Med Sci at UWS is 70.05Campbelltown/70.25Hawkesbury; ANU is still 90.

Graduate medicine is a great option at many uni's, also try transfering but some med schools such as UA and Monash don't take non-standards.

partelephant

Monkey on a Rock
HSC
Wooz said:
I'm sure the attrition rate for the interviews are much higher then that and it's not a psychology test, it's a MMI format interview where different people will ask you different things.

355 people were interviews for 229 places so i highly doubt that most of them were offered placed.
When I was talking about USyd and 20 out of 22 people getting in, I was referring to the school leaver entry program which I assumed the person asking the question was also referring to as they also asked for info about UNSW. The statistics you refer to and the MMI format is only for Grad Entry at USyd.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
partelephant said:
When I was talking about USyd and 20 out of 22 people getting in, I was referring to the school leaver entry program which I assumed the person asking the question was also referring to as they also asked for info about UNSW. The statistics you refer to and the MMI format is only for Grad Entry at USyd.
My bad, misread and thought it was grad med not the School leaver combined entry.

tgre.2001

HSC
Wooz said:
Almost all of your info is outdated. Uni's such as Usyd reccommed that you do any undergrad degree to get into med, you have to remember 2 sections of the GAMSAT is based on writing and critical thinking while 1 section is based on 1st year chem and bio and yr 12 physics. You don't have to do med sci/bio med sci unless your at Umelb to get into medicine post-grad. There is not a min figure of 95 accross the board it really depends on the applicant and what position their applying for.

The minimum you need is credit average 5.5 but obtaining higher marks is advisable as a good GAMSAT and interview mark does not always guarentee entry.

Minimum UAI for Med Sci at UWS is 70.05Campbelltown/70.25Hawkesbury; ANU is still 90.

Graduate medicine is a great option at many uni's, also try transfering but some med schools such as UA and Monash don't take non-standards.
I'm starting Med Sci in Semester 2...Not sure which campus I should choose yet (campbelltown/hawkesbury)...the uai ddn't really affect me as mine was higher than the minimum...At the moment, my only concern is which campus is more preferrable - any thoughts?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Depends really where you live, Ctown has better facilities, more electives for med sci. You can come to Hawkesbury if you really wana see me!!! :) Also the Hawkesbury cohort have to spend 3 saturdays at Ctown doin cadaver disections and pracs. Also Ctown has more access to public and transport and shops while Hawkesbury is a uni campus in the middle of 4 sheep paddocks. Bah..Bah....

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Wooz said:
Depends really where you live, Ctown has better facilities, more electives for med sci. You can come to Hawkesbury if you really wana see me!!! :) Also the Hawkesbury cohort have to spend 3 saturdays at Ctown doin cadaver disections and pracs. Also Ctown has more access to public and transport and shops while Hawkesbury is a uni campus in the middle of 4 sheep paddocks. Bah..Bah....
u made going to Hawkesbury so tempting.. :|

where is that campus tho?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
u made going to Hawkesbury so tempting.. :|

where is that campus tho?
1hr 20 mins west of the Sydney CBD, north-west of Sydney near the blue mountains.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
rooeys2 said:
i did one day.. at concord..
i did lik 1 week in pharmacy
and i did lik 1 week in dentist..

its can just get dull i guess... i counted that i have seen 400+ patients to date.. :(
its pretty boring someimes

tgre.2001

HSC
Wooz said:
Geez...Hawkesbury sounds really boring :(! But I live closer to Hawkesbury and it is most likely that I'll be going there...
I want to do Human Physiology in my 3rd year, but it's only available at Campbelltown, do u think I can get a transfer?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
tgre.2001 said:
Geez...Hawkesbury sounds really boring :(! But I live closer to Hawkesbury and it is most likely that I'll be going there...
I want to do Human Physiology in my 3rd year, but it's only available at Campbelltown, do u think I can get a transfer?
Yeh, it's pretty much automatic your course advisor will prob let you go to Campbelltown in years 2 and 3 to do whatever.

mattbray

HSC
UAI in 2008: 96.15

UMAT in 2008: 237 (sum of percentile ranks) or overall percentile of 81

Deferred BA/LLB @ ANU to retry for MBBS (resitting the UMAT, doing MedEntry)

Aiming for Bmed @ UNCLE, UNSW or Monash.... is that UAI too low?

Also does anyone know about MedEntry's Canberra workshops and when we need 2 register by.... I need to find some ppl to sign up with so as to get the 3-person discount!

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
mattbray said:
UAI in 2008: 96.15

UMAT in 2008: 237 (sum of percentile ranks) or overall percentile of 81

Deferred BA/LLB @ ANU to retry for MBBS (resitting the UMAT, doing MedEntry)

Aiming for Bmed @ UNCLE, UNSW or Monash.... is that UAI too low?

Also does anyone know about MedEntry's Canberra workshops and when we need 2 register by.... I need to find some ppl to sign up with so as to get the 3-person discount!
Your UAI is fine for UNCLE and UWS since their threshold bases systems, why didn't you list UWS? Also, you mean your 2007 UAI and UMAT score. You won't stand a chance getting an interview at UNSW with a low uai you should consider starting uni and using your gpa 50/50 uai split, but that rules you out for Monash.

The Uai is alright for Monash but yeh you need to get a UMAT raw mark of 250-260+ with your uai, please consider doing a few subjects through tafe or oten, since your just deferring.

Book with two friends before the workshop date and you should get in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)