Medicine Offer Dilemma - Seeking Advice (1 Viewer)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Hey, I'm currently overseas visiting family and I just found out that I have recieved a provisional med offer from UQ. Unfortunately the letter reached my house in NSW quite late (family in Aus has let me know right away about any important uni information) leaving me roughly a single day in which to accept/decline the offer.

My question is this: can I accept the offer now only to turn it down later should I get an offer for UNSW medicine (not out until 18th Jan)? or rather, is this the way people would usually go about things?

The main issues are that I can't make an informed decision about the UQ med program until the NSW UAC offers come out and that I don't want to jeopardise my chances with UNSW (I am aware that UAC and QTAC are separate but I did give UNSW permission to communicate with other universities).

I'm going to be calling both universities in an hours time to try and clarify the situation but I thought I'd ask you guys what you thought as well. Thanks in advance.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
you should accept it. if you get a UNSW offer, you can withdraw from your UQ offer without any penalty.

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
yep, definatly accept - then if you get UNSW, withdraw it - they will have enough people in their wating list so they will not mind.

kathjs

HSC
I had the same dilemma yesterday, I called UAC and they promised me that there was no possible way that accepting UQ could change UNSW. So I accepted. Queenslands at the bottom of my list, but at least i've got something now.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Although you did sign that form stating med schools can communicate with each other about whether you have received an offer from each school etc.

btw, hi kath :)

Last edited:

Hurri

HSC
ummm i thought that one (from Umelb i think) is only to tell other schools that a offer has been made and not accepted.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
The medical schools don't change their selection schedules (ie ranking table) based on how many offers are granted to a particular student in another school. Accept it, and withdraw later if you need to.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Hurri said:
ummm i thought that one (from Umelb i think) is only to tell other schools that a offer has been made and not accepted.
unsw has that form also. who knows what they do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)