Medicine Paths at UWS? (1 Viewer)

AYOtecno44

HSC
Ok so basically I've been looking at ATAR's and what you need to get to the UMAT and I don't think I'll be up to standard. So i was wondering if I were to go to UWS, what would I have to do in order to be applicable to take the medicine course? I've herd things such as doing courses for a year and then transferring to medicine, is this possible? If so can it be any course? How well do I need to be doing in a course to be eligible to do this? Any and all advice as to how I can get into a medicine course other than through the regular ATAR would be helpful

nottellingu

HSC
You can do any course at uni and transfer.
If you live in the GWS area ull need an atar or 93+ OR a credit avg as well as a umat score of s1 + s2 + 1/2 s3 139.5 (although this may vary year to year) and then you get an interview.

Once you get an interview its 1/3 umat score and 2/3 interview score.

The ATAR or GPA is only a threshold.

If you don't live in the gws then you'll need 95+atar of credit avg and the umat score with the weighting comes to 150.

AYOtecno44

HSC
Ahhh ok so with the option of transferring from a course, what GPA do I have to have? And whats that equivalent to in terms of a percentage?

nottellingu

HSC
Ahhh ok so with the option of transferring from a course, what GPA do I have to have? And whats that equivalent to in terms of a percentage?
A credit average for uws, a credit avg is = to 65 WAM at unsw and i think its the same at uws.

nottellingu

HSC
precisely, nevertheless you need an adequate UMAT (89th percentile I suppose would do the trick) in order to be considered in the first place!
Yeap, more than half the med hopefulls will be cut by late september!

AYOtecno44

HSC
In terms of pathways, their is only one course that can grantee you a medicine interview at UWS and that would be the B science (Advanced Science) program.

It's not hard to get in 95.5 ATAR at campbelltown and you would need a gpa of at least 5.5, which is not hard either. but what you need to put your mind to is the UMAT.

The top 6 UMAT scores will be offered an interview; afterward it will be up to the interview.

good luck
When you say guantee me an interview, would I still need to score well on the UMAT?

And also when you say I need a gpa of at least 5.5, does that require me to complete the whole 3 year course? Or just 1st year?

AYOtecno44

HSC
you will be ranked based upon your UMAT and the gpa in 1 yr only
Would I not also be able to undergo the same process in another course other than advanced science? One such as nursing or psychology perhaps?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)