Medicine/Science good idea??? (2 Viewers)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I'm going to be honest with you - I don't think med is right for you. It seems like you are getting caught up in the prestige of doing an MBBS or perhaps friends and family have swayed your opinion. I have no idea what is involved in med, but i doubt you will get very far at all before you have to touch organs. As others have said, look into stuff like radiography, biomedical enginering etc. But then you aren't doing "med" so are you even that interested in the medical field, you even mentioned that you don't want to limit yourself to med and i've never heard anyone say that before! Just going off what you've said and looking at your subjects Electrical Engineering or possibly Mechatronics springs to mind.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
I'm going to be honest with you - I don't think med is right for you. It seems like you are getting caught up in the prestige of doing an MBBS or perhaps friends and family have swayed your opinion. I have no idea what is involved in med, but i doubt you will get very far at all before you have to touch organs. As others have said, look into stuff like radiography, biomedical enginering etc. But then you aren't doing "med" so are you even that interested in the medical field, you even mentioned that you don't want to limit yourself to med and i've never heard anyone say that before! Just going off what you've said and looking at your subjects Electrical Engineering or possibly Mechatronics springs to mind.
I don't think that it's right to say that it isn't for him. It's up to him. If prestige is a main factor, so be it. After all, you want to live a solid lifestyle.

Johnstan

Sickunt overload
HSC
Uni Grad
leave OP to decide what is right for himself.
what's wrong with that? he's working for his marks, he has the right to choose what degree/uni he wants to go to, regardless if prestige is a factor.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I don't think that it's right to say that it isn't for him. It's up to him. If prestige is a main factor, so be it. After all, you want to live a solid lifestyle.
leave OP to decide what is right for himself.
what's wrong with that? he's working for his marks, he has the right to choose what degree/uni he wants to go to, regardless if prestige is a factor.
Almost everyone in this thread is thinking the exact same thing. His job prospects will be severely impacted on if he is squeamish or finds organs disgusting and that's presuming he sticks with medicine until he graduates. I'm not sure what the deal is with post grad medicine/GAMSAT but most universities have interviews if you wish to get into medicine straight after HSC and i'd say it's likely that people who arent really enthusiastic will be weeded out early on there. I'm not attacking the OP or anything but it really seems like an after thought since they aren't doing UMAT this year. I can be squeamish at times and because of that i've known for many years that anything in the medical field would be a bad idea.

Oh and i've just realised that this thread is kind of old and OP isn't even active on here anymore.

HSC
The reason why, unlike other occupations, medicine is one of those things where you can tell peeps to f-off if they're shit is because:

1) med places are controlled, taking a place of someone who might do a better job than your lazy, un-motivated arse is no coo'
2) it's a social investment. The gov, doctors and hospitals (society in general) places a lot of time and effort into training you, both in uni and out. They expect a return on that investment in the form of a good doctor. If you're just doing it for some shitty reason that won't keep you motivated or keen for the job 10 years down the track, then it's a waste of effort and money.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)