Medicine - UMAT and interview (1 Viewer)

SanjoyM

HSC
How hard is the UMAT and how hard is the Medicine university interview!
I have practiced some sample UMAT papers, and so far have achieved 90+.
What is the cutt off of UMAT scores to gain admission into Medicine?
UNSYD UNSW and UWS

hayabusaboston

HSC
UWS around 85, UNSW around 90, USYD around 95. Cutoff that is. But the interview is also very important, 100 umat and a screwed interview wont get you anywhere

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
UWS around 85, UNSW around 90, USYD around 95. Cutoff that is. But the interview is also very important, 100 umat and a screwed interview wont get you anywhere
UWS low 90's if non-GWS but they use their own scaling process and moderation process for section 3.
UNSW has a sliding scale for UMAT with the ATAR: http://www.med.unsw.edu.au/medweb.nsf/page/FAQ_local
Usyd: 99.95 ATAR + interview, lower ATAR for music med + performance, etc. http://sydney.edu.au/science/fstudent/undergrad/course/com-scimed.shtml#admission

SanjoyM

HSC
UNSW seems negotiable! Suppose I achieve 90% (raw mark), then I'll probably need 94-95 ATAR to gain admission into Medicine!
USYD - I heard that Usyd does not offer undergrad med courses anymore, unless its combined with other courses, such as arts!
What is the degree of difficulty of the interview? Some say its esay, others say its okay!?

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
UNSW seems negotiable! Suppose I achieve 90% (raw mark), then I'll probably need 94-95 ATAR to gain admission into Medicine!
USYD - I heard that Usyd does not offer undergrad med courses anymore, unless its combined with other courses, such as arts!
What is the degree of difficulty of the interview? Some say its esay, others say its okay!?
if u get 90 raw in the umat, u will be top 1 in aus.

if u mean 90percentile (top 10 percent), then u will need about 99 atar.

Blushii

HSC
The interview is not too difficult, given that you're a confident communicator with some degree of a social life, you are able to assess and resolve ethical dilemmas which you will undoubtedly experience should you enter a medical career and for some interviews, you've also got to have a good understanding of the world around us and the major news events/current issues and be able to argue your stance on such topics. Interviews will vary depending on from, whether it be a MMI type or just the regular panel type, but they usually cover the aforementioned topics.

SanjoyM

HSC
if u get 90 raw in the umat, u will be top 1 in aus.

if u mean 90percentile (top 10 percent), then u will need about 99 atar.
I'm just a bit confused! If I achieve 10%, then should the ATAR required to gain admission be less than 99?
UNSW states that 70 as a raw mark, requires an ATAR of 96, so 90 as a raw mark, will require even less?

SanjoyM

HSC
The interview is not too difficult, given that you're a confident communicator with some degree of a social life, you are able to assess and resolve ethical dilemmas which you will undoubtedly experience should you enter a medical career and for some interviews, you've also got to have a good understanding of the world around us and the major news events/current issues and be able to argue your stance on such topics. Interviews will vary depending on from, whether it be a MMI type or just the regular panel type, but they usually cover the aforementioned topics.
Thanks a lot! But, as you would know it is really hard to have a good understanding of the news/events, especially during HSC since you are literally bogged down with workload pressure and engrossed in studying? My cousin said they ask questions about ethics for UWS??
On What basis are we offered an interview? Is it on the basis of our ATAR and UMAT score?

Blushii

HSC
Interviews are offered on the basis of your predicted ATAR in conjunction with your UMAT results (and whether you've passed their threshold) and some institutions like JCU give an interview based on ATAR prediction + application, as no UMAT is required there. Griffith doesn't even offer interviews, you get a place so long as you satisfy the cutoff 99.65 for Nathan campus and 99.7 for GC campus.

SanjoyM

HSC
Interviews are offered on the basis of your predicted ATAR in conjunction with your UMAT results (and whether you've passed their threshold) and some institutions like JCU give an interview based on ATAR prediction + application, as no UMAT is required there. Griffith doesn't even offer interviews, you get a place so long as you satisfy the cutoff 99.65 for Nathan campus and 99.7 for GC campus.
I'm worried now! My principle never ever gives a predicted ATAR above 91? NEVER! Will that affect my chances of attaining an interview?
I mean, on what basis are the predicted ATAR's formulated?

Blushii

HSC
Yeah it will definitely affect your chance of attaining an interview offer! My prediction was 99+, I got a little lower, but it still allowed me to keep my foot in the door by actually doing well in the interview for it to compensate for my <99 ATAR.

What school/rank do you go to btw? My school rank was like 350's-400's and our principal gave us all pretty decent estimates. Predicted ATARs are usually determined through trial HSC results and over all subject rankings. I did really well in them so perhaps that's why, but I got sick for my real HSC exams, hence the lower ATAR.

SanjoyM

HSC
Yeah it will definitely affect your chance of attaining an interview offer! My prediction was 99+, I got a little lower, but it still allowed me to keep my foot in the door by actually doing well in the interview for it to compensate for my <99 ATAR.

What school/rank do you go to btw? My school rank was like 350's-400's and our principal gave us all pretty decent estimates. Predicted ATARs are usually determined through trial HSC results and over all subject rankings. I did really well in them so perhaps that's why, but I got sick for my real HSC exams, hence the lower ATAR.
I got to Parramatta High School - Partially selective! Rank: Top 200 in NSW!
My Ranks:
Advanced English - 1st
Extension English -1st
Ancient History - 2nd
Biology - 3rd
Chemistry - 4th
Music - 3rd
Extension English 2 - 1st

Are those good enough to formulate an ATAR of 99+? All in High band 5 and high band 6 range!

Blushii

HSC
I meant - formulate a Predicted ATAR of 99+ ? * Typo ^
I should think so, definitely! Unless your principal is being too harsh. I came first in all my subjects and easily got 99+ predicted.
I mean you don't necessarily need a 99+ prediction, but it does strengthen your chances obviously. If you get a killer UMAT but lower ATAR prediction e.g. 97 or so, you'd still get an interview offer...just take a look at UNSW's table for medicine UMAT and corresponding ATAR cut off.

SanjoyM

HSC
I should think so, definitely! Unless your principal is being too harsh. I came first in all my subjects and easily got 99+ predicted.
I mean you don't necessarily need a 99+ prediction, but it does strengthen your chances obviously. If you get a killer UMAT but lower ATAR prediction e.g. 97 or so, you'd still get an interview offer...just take a look at UNSW's table for medicine UMAT and corresponding ATAR cut off.
Thanks a lot!:)

ju5tin

HSC
I'll probably need 94-95 ATAR to gain admission into Medicine!
Sorry, the minimum possible ATAR you can have to be offered an interview AT UNSW is 96.00 and with that you need 100 percentile umat.

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC

Nice work :). What uni did you end up going to?

SunnyScience

HSC
May i ask the question, where can i find sufficient practice papers for UMAT? :)

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
I'm just a bit confused! If I achieve 10%, then should the ATAR required to gain admission be less than 99?
UNSW states that 70 as a raw mark, requires an ATAR of 96, so 90 as a raw mark, will require even less?
70 raw is 100%ile (i.e. top 1% of all applicants). if i remember correct, for 90 percentile (~59-60 raw), u usually need about 99 predicted atar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)