Medicine? (1 Viewer)

__candy

HSC
N/A
I'm just wondering at USYD why is

Medical Science/Medicine/Surgery assumed knowledge is only Mathematics or Mathematics extension 1 only. UNSW Medicine is only atleast English Standard (band 4 only) someone please explain.
And
What is UMAT? What's expected to be in it?

tennille

HSC
Maybe you should ask this in the University of Sydney forum. They are more likely to know. :)

HSC
-the UMAT is a written test that assesses non-academic personal qualities. someone who's interested in doing the UMAT - > medicine can expand on this because i can't.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
UMAT assesses things like your interpersonal skills, logic skills, communication skills, basically stuff the HSC doesn't directly test you on but is 'necessary' for a career such as a doctor.

As for the different requirements, different unis may have different course requirements. That's usually a choice the universities make depending on what they feel is needed for each particular course.

I_F

Last edited:

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
__candy said:

Medical Science/Medicine/Surgery assumed knowledge is only Mathematics or Mathematics extension 1 only. UNSW Medicine is only atleast English Standard (band 4 only) someone please explain.
And
Full course requirements: http://www.science.usyd.edu.au/fstudent/undergrad/course/com-scimed.shtml

The careers guide (dont rely on it) assumes that you are going to do standard or advanced english since english is compulsory so they dont bother putting english assumed in and because hardly anyone does esl these days.

The program which you are talking about is the combines Medical Science/MBBS is the same program that i want to do UAI cut off 99.95(2005) 10 places and is a 10 year combined degree.

UMAT(University Medical Acceptance Test): The UMAT is a psychometric aptitude test for entry to specific Medical, Dental, Pharmacy, Oral Health, Optometry, Physiotherapy and Health Science courses. It's a test with IQ test questions, challenging puzzles, personal responses to situations eg you have to tell your patients parents that their child has died. http://www.icarus.edu.au/UMAT/index.htm

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
interesting.... my iq is 125 :D
Medical Science/MBBS sounds interesting...and so competetive...i wouldn't bother...
So what's the uai cut off for medicine at USYD or UNSW in 2006?

75 or 99!

HSC
__candy said:

And
my bro did UMAT and got into med UMat is jus like genral knowledge quiz they jus wanna see if u have a really gud common sense they'll ask u stuff on how well u can read emotions...rotational symmetery and finisign certain shpes inside a number of shpes...its not crazy hard buh it is sumfin u need to practice i guess...and i dont know bou ur first question lolz

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
yoakim said:
Medical Science/MBBS sounds interesting...and so competetive...i wouldn't bother...
the UAI cut offs in careers guides etc are normally for the med interview. Medicine entry depends on your UAI, UMAT score and interview score these are added up to determine whether you are eligible for the medicine course. Generally the UAI cut off for an interview at UNSW 2005 was 95, Usyd 99.952005, UNCLE 93.8 2005, UWS 92.8 2006.

Last edited:

flowergrl

HSC
yoakim said:
how did you get your IQ??? is it free? on this random internet quiz, my IQ was 75

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Dont rely on those free online iq tests i got 121 on one of them after guessing everything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)