Medicine (1 Viewer)

highshill

HSC
I really want to get into medcine but the problem is that i dont know the steps you have to take to become a doctor/surgeon (university couses), i have tried googling it up but got more confused and i even asked my teachers at my school but they had no idea either can someone gove me a step to step guide on how to become a doctor i an very confused right now with all the different stories everyone is telling me.;)

Jaxxnuts

HSC
N/A
I really want to get into medcine but the problem is that i dont know the steps you have to take to become a doctor/surgeon (university couses), i have tried googling it up but got more confused and i even asked my teachers at my school but they had no idea either can someone gove me a step to step guide on how to become a doctor i an very confused right now with all the different stories everyone is telling me.;)
um...it really depends on the uni you plan to study at med for

Usyd med is 99.95 and is a combined 7 year degree course.

UNSW is based of UMAT, interview and ATAR and is a 6 year course

WSU is same to UNSW and is a 5 year course

(Please correct me anyone if I am wrong)

captainneuro

HSC
First of all, great teachers for not being able to help with that. Anyway, if you want to do med straight out of high school, steps are
achieve competitive atar (usually 98-99)
apply for umat (takes place a week or two before school trials time - well it did acc to my school's trials time anyway) (Also note not all unis require umat)
if successful in both, get invited for an interview.

If not successful straight out of high school
do a different course
apply for med (retake umat) during first year uni (avg mark has to be high) - if successful go from there
If not successful again, graduate from course and apply for postgrad med
Postgrad med path is same except you don't take the umat test, you instead do the gamsat (which many say is harder - 6hr exam opposed to umat 3)

Last edited:

captainhelium

water enthusiast
HSC
Oh, that's a shame that your teachers don't know. I'm not that knowledgeable on it either since I'm not doing medicine directly next year but I'll write down what I remember about the process.

There are two 'pathways' for getting into Medicine. There is an Undergraduate pathway and a Postgraduate pathway. The Undergraduate pathway means that after High School you go straight into Medicine. The Postgraduate pathway means that you do a university degree first and then you transfer into Medicine. I think that some universities that offer Undergraduate pathways have different requirements. I'll talk about the UNSW undergraduate requirements since that's the one I know best.

Undergraduate Pathway into Medicine for UNSW:
- Requires a very competitive ATAR (Apparently the median ATAR for UNSW Medicine students in 2016 or 2015 was like 99.6 or something like that)
- Requires a competitive UMAT score. The UMAT is essentially a 3 hour test you need to take to be considered for Undergraduate Medicine. It occurs around school trials (July) and it focusses on your logical reasoning/problem solving, understanding people emotions and non-verbal reasoning (i.e. finding patterns in shapes).
- Requires a good interview. You'll be offered an interview once your UMAT and Estimated ATAR are released if they are high enough. Once you actual ATAR is released and it's good, you'll be offered a second interview.

Other undergraduate medicine universities I think include University of Newcastle, Western Sydney University, and James Cook University. I think they have different requirements to UNSW. For example, I think in University of Newcastle, you need a score of at least 50 in each section of the UMAT to even be considered.

Postgraduate
- You do a degree first
- You do the GAMSAT (6 hour test) and then you transfer to Medicine once you finish your other degree. Your average University mark must also be high as well.

Also, note that if you get an ATAR of 99.95, USyd may give you guaranteed entry into Postgraduate Medicine without doing the GAMSAT. You still have to do some other degree first though. And you also need to do well in their interview before being offered this 'special guaranteed entry' into their Postgraduate Medicine program.

Yeah I know, Medicine looks really demanding to get in but just believe that you can do it :) Hopefully my information was correct lol.

Last edited:

Kat92

HSC
Oh, dear I am rather alarmed that your teachers could not help with this or direct you to a careers advisor.

Okay, so presuming you are set on becoming a surgeon on the following would apply:

1. Sit the Undergraduate Medicine and Health Sciences Admission Test (UMAT)
2. Use your ATAR or previous degree with a GPA credit average for application to UAC
3. Sit med interview, PQA, MSA at desired uni if you are competitive enough from points 1 and 2.
4. Redo UMAT if not succesful out of school and do 1 year of Uni with good GPA if ATAR not good enough, or do GAMSAT (requires a completed uni degree) depending on what uni for med you are applying to.
5. Med school for 5-6 years
6. Royal Australasian College of Surgeons: RACS for 3-4 years. You may undertake a Masters in Public Health or Anatomy etc to be more competitive into trying to gain college acceptance. Exams- written and practical in your college. College studies often done during what's called your PGY years after med school where you do different rotations as an Intern JMO, Resident surgeon under guidance.
8. ??Advanced Fellowship training 3-4 yrs (someone correct me here as I don't know for surgeons if they do basic then advanced training to become a fellow)

Also, there is a step by step diagram somewhere on here or if you google that shows a process of becoming a Dr as well. Furthermore, sites like medstudentsonline are helpful in regards to further questions of this nature.

Last edited:

Kat92

HSC
There are two 'pathways' for getting into Medicine. There is an Undergraduate pathway and a Postgraduate pathway. The Undergraduate pathway means that after High School you go straight into Medicine. The Postgraduate pathway means that you do a university degree first and then you transfer into Medicine. I think that some universities that offer Undergraduate pathways have different requirements. I'll talk about the UNSW undergraduate requirements since that's the one I know best.

Undergraduate Pathway into Medicine for UNSW:
- Requires a very competitive ATAR (Apparently the median ATAR for UNSW Medicine students in 2016 or 2015 was like 99.6 or something like that)
- Requires a competitive UMAT score. The UMAT is essentially a 3 hour test you need to take to be considered for Undergraduate Medicine. It occurs around school trials (July) and it focusses on your logical reasoning/problem solving, understanding people emotions and non-verbal reasoning (i.e. finding patterns in shapes).
- Requires a good interview. You'll be offered an interview once your UMAT and Estimated ATAR are released if they are high enough. Once you actual ATAR is released and it's good, you'll be offered a second interview.

Other undergraduate medicine universities I think include University of Newcastle, Western Sydney University, and James Cook University. I think they have different requirements to UNSW. For example, I think in University of Newcastle, you need a score of at least 50 in each section of the UMAT to even be considered.

Postgraduate
- You do a degree first
- You do the GAMSAT (6 hour test) and then you transfer to Medicine once you finish your other degree. Your average University mark must also be high as well.

Also, note that if you get an ATAR of 99.95, USyd may give you guaranteed entry into Postgraduate Medicine without doing the GAMSAT. You still have to do some other degree first though. And you also need to do well in their interview before being offered this 'special guaranteed entry' into their Postgraduate Medicine program.

Yeah I know, Medicine looks really demanding to get in but just believe that you can do it :) Hopefully my information was correct lol.

Newcastle has changed to at least 60 or above for S1, at least 50 in S2 and at least 50 in S3. As they want students to have skills in assesing the problem learning scenarios that they hold in tutes.

A1P

HSC
Other undergraduate medicine universities I think include University of Newcastle, Western Sydney University, and James Cook University.
The undergrad med schools include UNSW, WSU, JMP (UoN/UNE), JCU, Monash, Adelaide, UTas, Curtin.

The graduate schools offering assured entry to school leavers include USyd 99.95, Melb 99.9 (or 99.0 for full-fee Med), Flinders 99.85, Griffith 99.80, UQ & UWA 99.0 plus good UMAT.

greenlemings

HSC
Hi, I need a bit of help. I would also thought I should post here since its recent and somewhat relevant rather than starting a new thread so we could have all the info on one thread for convenience.

I got low 90s this year for my atar (unfortunately 93/94) and am planning to do medsci at unsw or some science course for uni next year, doing the umat and then applying for medicine (so like the non-standard way to med). The aim is to have a high GPA/WAM or whatever and a high UMAT percentile to make up for my atar. Will I get a chance for medicine, considering my atar? I've heard that most atar requirements are high 90s.
I know different unis have different priorities, like some favour high atar, or a certain course like adv science or medsci, or high GPA, but I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

OkDen

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi, I need a bit of help. I would also thought I should post here since its recent and somewhat relevant rather than starting a new thread so we could have all the info on one thread for convenience.

I got low 90s this year for my atar (unfortunately 93/94) and am planning to do medsci at unsw or some science course for uni next year, doing the umat and then applying for medicine (so like the non-standard way to med). The aim is to have a high GPA/WAM or whatever and a high UMAT percentile to make up for my atar. Will I get a chance for medicine, considering my atar? I've heard that most atar requirements are high 90s.
I know different unis have different priorities, like some favour high atar, or a certain course like adv science or medsci, or high GPA, but I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks in advance.
Are you Rural or Socioeconomically Disadvantaged or ATSI??

captainneuro

HSC

Thanks in advance.
got a shot at uws med - 93 for gws peeps, 95 for non gws

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)