medicine (1 Viewer)

fruitpunch

HSC
So I'm considering postgraduate medicine.

What are the ways to do medicine through an undergraduate degree at usyd.

I heard you can do the UCAT next year how does that work ?

Leadmen4y

HSC
U can do any bachelor + gamsat, gpa is a hurdle I believe gamsat is the real deal. usyd doesn't require ucat btw

Jojofelyx

HSC
So I'm considering postgraduate medicine.

What are the ways to do medicine through an undergraduate degree at usyd.

I heard you can do the UCAT next year how does that work ?
1. Get 99.95 (or if youre E12, that cut off is lowered to 99.5, but youll still need 99.8+ to be competitive) for USyd.
2. Interview prep, so you can nail USyd.
As mentioned above, usyd doesnt need ucat.
3. Med Students Online is your best bet with these sorts of questions. Its pretty much BOS, except, obviously, solely med focused.

icycledough

HSC
If you want specific advice, this thread on MSO --> https://medstudentsonline.com.au/fo...entry-questions-and-general-discussion.35929/, should have answers to any question. I should also point out that their interview format isn't like other universities ... I believe on that thread, a current USYD medicine student said it's more of like a group discussion. It does have the best ratio of interviewee to medical offer ratio, about a 2/3 chance, but you should definitely not take it for granted and still prepare as you normally would.

icycledough

HSC
what if I was to transfer to UNSW for medicine ?
UNSW has a lot of different pathways for medicine, however, I don't believe they have a post-graduate program. I would recommend reading this --> https://med.unsw.edu.au/study-us/un...-apply/local-applicants/special-entry-schemes, which mentions the 4 different pathways available. Note also that UNSW doesn't allow for current medical students from other universities to transfer (unless there are very unique extenuating circumstances).

icycledough

HSC
yeah after starting an undergrad degree
If you want to transfer having started an undergraduate degree, it depends on how long you've completed a degree for, which will dictate what they look for. So < 0.75FTE (less than 3/4 of a semester at university, 1st year) means they will consider only your ATAR. However, anything > 0.75 will consider a best of ATAR or GPA (HOWEVER, ATAR has to be a minimum of 96 and WAM has to be a minimum of 70). Also note that although 96 is just the minimum, in reality, a competitive ATAR would be around 99.5+

Again, it explains it in more detail here --> https://med.unsw.edu.au/study-us/un...ow-apply/local-applicants/selection-interview

fruitpunch

HSC
If you want to transfer having started an undergraduate degree, it depends on how long you've completed a degree for, which will dictate what they look for. So < 0.75FTE (less than 3/4 of a semester at university, 1st year) means they will consider only your ATAR. However, anything > 0.75 will consider a best of ATAR or GPA (HOWEVER, ATAR has to be a minimum of 96 and WAM has to be a minimum of 70). Also note that although 96 is just the minimum, in reality, a competitive ATAR would be around 99.5+

Again, it explains it in more detail here --> https://med.unsw.edu.au/study-us/un...ow-apply/local-applicants/selection-interview
oh ok thanks that helps a lot

ezOolong

HSC
Hi I just wanted to add that if you’re eligible for E12, you don’t really need to achieve any higher than the cutoff to be more competitive because once you’re in the interview pool, the selection is 100% on the interview (or more like written assessments) performance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)