Medicine (1 Viewer)

Steph

Help!!
I wanna do B Medicine but I'm not sure which uni is the best one for it.
Any advice?

Kristy

"if you're more into self-directed learning, newcastle would definitely be the place to go, however if you prefer being spoon-fed your information, maybe you should consider UNSW"

- a current med student at newcastle told me this last week :)

btw, did you sit the umat? if so, what did you think?

Steph

umat? yup did that... all i know is i've never had to read so much in 55 mins (section 1)... section 3 was a shocker! i felt dizzy just looking at the lines!:D

Kristy

i know what you mean, steph! in section 3 i completely paniced. i think i only found the shapes in about half of them - the rest were educated guesses! :confused:

Steph

Hey at least you guessed!
I was stupid enough to leave out the ones I can't do.... Imagine, after all the years of guessing in exams, I forget to guess in the umat test! :(

Steph

How do you know that UNSW spoon-feed you information?

What do you think of BMed in Melbourne uni and MoOnash?

Kristy

i don't really know that for myself, it was just something a newcastle med student told me last week. sorry if i didn't make that clear :)

i personally like the sound of newcastle's program the best - it seems more innovative, and i like the community focus and structured tutorial groups.

i don't know much about melbourne and monash's programs, sorry - maybe their websites could provide you with that kind of info :)

Steph

Well, I've actually got the information for Melbourne (not Monash, though) and it sounds pretty good, but I don't know anyone who actually does Med now and certainly not anyone in Melbourne so I'm just asking around for opinions.. Thanks though
Are you planning to do Med yourself?

Kristy

i would love to, but whether or not i get in is another story!

where are you from, btw?

Kristy

wow, are you from overseas? i just meant what general area - you seemed interested in a lot of different med schools and i was wondering which ones you are closest to.

my family lives near newcastle, so i'm glad i like the way their course is structured!

Steph

Yup, i'm fron Hong Kong

Live in the North shore.. so I don't really know about the other uni's except sydney and unsw.

closest to? probably... unsw.. but can tell u here and now i'm not gonna get into that one.. do you know about its selection process??

lol - then i hope you get into Newcastle!

Kristy

thank you, steph - i hope you end up where you most want to be as well :)

as for UNSW, i was under the impression that their selection was much similar to newcastle's, but with a higher UAI cutoff? i know newcastle's is 93.8, but i thought UNSW was somewhere in the higher 96+ range?

maybe i am confusing it with something else, but it thought they did the UMAT and interview process as well :)

Steph

=)

nope for unsw, you need:
1) a resume
2) fill in an application form (not the type newcastle has.. but one that includes why you want to do medicine, personal qualities and so on)
3) umat
4) interview
5) 2nd rounds of interviews (not sure about this step)
in short, it's just such a hassle!

umm i think this year, your uai has to be 95+

Kristy

oh, i forgot about the resume and application! i didn't end up applying for UNSW - it's too far away to travel to, and i don't want to move too far away from my family if i can help it :)

second interviews? i'd never get that far! so did you end up applying?

Steph

yes i applied: but because i left it until the very last day before it was due, i just made up some answers & sent it off :D

so i'm not surprised if i'm not accepted!

Kristy

you never know, they might think you're brilliant! good luck with your application :)

btw, what subjects are you doing at school?

Steph

umm
english (duh!!)
maths ext 1 & 2
chemistry
business studies
ancient history
what about you??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)