MedSci Enrolment Help (1 Viewer)

kmk

HSC
Hey guys. I recieved a late round offer for medsci@unsw which ive accpeted but its the enrollment part thats confusing me.
Looking throo the online handbook, the 1st yr planner and the yellow science booklet they sent me, ive come up with the following subjects that ure advised to do >> BABS1201, CHEM1031, MATH1031

1) ANAT1521 is not offered and SCIF1111 (which is apparently compulsary) is only in S2, (1st yr planner) why is that? or do i have to enrol in these?

2) Are u only meant to do 4 subjects that comprise 24 credit points per semester? eg babs, chem, maths, scif >> whas the deal with general edu?

3) You get a choice of electives right? so only one is allowed, maths is an elective so in the end would my timetable be comprised of chem, babs, scif and maths?

4) I got a mid band 5 mark for chem in the hsc, but i'm thinking abt doing fundamentals becos of the 'easier' content, would doing this have restrictions in the future?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
1) This year is really strange. They meant to offer ANAT1521 in S1, but I don't know what happened. And SCIF1111 is meant to be a 6 UOC offered in S2 only(replacing the previous two 3 OUC subjects that I had to do). So as you can see, they have changed it this year so everything is a bit messy.

2) Yes, 4 subjects per semester. You don't do Gen Ed until second and third year IF SCIF1111 is actually running this year. They MAY go back to the old structure and make you do SCIF1110 (3 UOC) and ONE Gen Ed (3 uoc) in S2.

3) You can do maths as an elective, or COMP, PHYS, HPSC or PSYC.

4) Higher chem and fundamental chem are very similar. It won't make much of a difference to anything if you do the higher or the fundamental one. Generally, you get better demonstrators/tutors for Higher Chem, but you might have to learn a bit more materials in Higher. So it's up to you really.

kmk

HSC
hey thanks for ure reply.
yeah, it is so messy and confusing. so to sum this up and make it straight;
Students are only enrolling for semester 1 right?

*ANAT1521 is only for the 2nd semester (as put by the faculty when i rang them) so this is out of the question and + the catalogue search errors it if u try to find it.

*Although SCI1111 is quoted to be in the 2nd semester (1st yr planner), it is compulsary for medsci students to do it, so i will be enrolling in this.

#So when uve FINALLY enrolled, u should have for example a S1 timetable consisting of BABS, CHEM, SCI1111, and ONE elective from either maths, philosophy, comp and psych?

I wasnt able to go to the advisary day on the 29th as the offer was made on the 31st. >< I'm deciding between higher chem/fundamental chem and the elective. I'm not a computing, physics person so its either maths1031 and psychology. Would anyone be able to help me choose between these subjects in terms of content, interest, possibilty of gaining strong marks?
Much appreciated, thanks

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Correct.

As to your elective, if you are good in English, then choose Psyc. It requires reports writings but soemtimes the lectures can be boring. Do maths if you're a maths person! But how good the course is depends on whether you get a good lecturer or not... Both are pretty similar in difficulty - MATH1031 has less assessment tasks but more contact hours (6 compared to 5 for Psyc)

kmk

HSC
hey thanks survivor39 uve been great help!
ive done as much as i could so far and i'm just arranging a favourable timetable BUT i'm still in a mess with choosing between maths(1031) and psychology. i was told by the stud.sci centre that maths is stongly advised. i'm not excellent at maths but ok at it. Psychology on the other hand seems quite interesting but as u said u need to be good at english. i got a high band 5 mark for english in the hsc but i wanted to know, would the exams for psych be essay writing etc? becos i dont think id be able to stand it. maths exams would just be the good ol questions right?

just another question, how many kids do medsci per yr?.. 150? 100?
i realised the cutoffs for medsci at unsw and usyd have risen and fallen respectively. UNSW went up from 85 to 89 and USYD went down from 94 to 91.
Obviously its to do with the med program for medsci students at unsw. i was wondering if u could recieve a consistent buch of Ds and HDs as i'd like to try for the med but ultimately transfer to other degrees like pharm

cerebaton

HSC
Hey I just noticed something regarding Maths 1031. It says in the handbook that we must complete PHPH2201 and PHPH2101 by the end of Stage 3. However, the only way to do these courses in the first place is to complete 6 UOC Level 1 MATH(not including MATH1041). Would this mean that if we wanted to major in Pharacology or Physiology, that we would need to complete MATH1031 in S1 this year? Sorry if that sounded a bit confusing but right now my elective is HPSC1100 and right now I'm having some doubts =/

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
cerebaton said:
Hey I just noticed something regarding Maths 1031. It says in the handbook that we must complete PHPH2201 and PHPH2101 by the end of Stage 3. However, the only way to do these courses in the first place is to complete 6 UOC Level 1 MATH(not including MATH1041). Would this mean that if we wanted to major in Pharacology or Physiology, that we would need to complete MATH1031 in S1 this year? Sorry if that sounded a bit confusing but right now my elective is HPSC1100 and right now I'm having some doubts =/
Yes, if MATH1031 is the prerequisite for PHPH2201 and 2101, then you MUST do MATH1031 in S1.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
kmk said:
i was told by the stud.sci centre that maths is stongly advised. i'm not excellent at maths but ok at it. Psychology on the other hand seems quite interesting but as u said u need to be good at english. i got a high band 5 mark for english in the hsc but i wanted to know, would the exams for psych be essay writing etc? becos i dont think id be able to stand it. maths exams would just be the good ol questions right?
The psychology final exam consists of 130 multiple choice questions - which is quite demanding. I remember I almost fell alseep when I got to about Question 70. :D Since there are 800 students, there is no way they will give you essays to write in t e final exam with so many to mark.

Maths.. well, it's just maths... How else can they ask you about integration??

kmk said:
just another question, how many kids do medsci per yr?.. 150? 100?
i realised the cutoffs for medsci at unsw and usyd have risen and fallen respectively. UNSW went up from 85 to 89 and USYD went down from 94 to 91.
Obviously its to do with the med program for medsci students at unsw. i was wondering if u could recieve a consistent buch of Ds and HDs as i'd like to try for the med but ultimately transfer to other degrees like pharm
There are about 160 students each year enrolled in Medical Science at UNSW. To be eligible for the Med program after your BMedSc, you need to be one of the top 15 students in Med Science at the end of Stage 2 (Year two).

A HD average is definitely not impossible. You just need to study consistently.

kmk

HSC
hey cerebraton, yeh thas the thing with the maths elective, its considered to be an 'essential base' for science. uve got a similar taste to me, id also like to major in pharmacology/physiology and looking at ure links its deemed a prerequisite so id advise doing maths. >> I talked to the stud.sci.centre a couple of days ago and the lady i asked was basically trying to convince me to do maths as she says it is strongly advised etc. although im not great at maths i'll just try to do the best i can, hopefully for a D av!!

yeh thanks again survivor39. ive decided to do the maths over psych as u can u see. ive still got a problem choosing between the chem. its so stupid and i cant make up my mind. chem fundamentals would seem easier but i read that it would scale differently to ure gpa than chem1031 cos its 'harder.' although i like chem and did OK in it, i'm liking the chem fundamentals. i'm assuming there would be ppl like me in chem fundamentals. would u suggest anythign? i need to make my bloody mind up

and for the med program, if theres 160 kids and they only choose 15 from 2yrs, umat +interview, thas is incredibly HARD.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
kmk, as for CHEM, the fundamental one has 1 more lecture per week than the higher version, but 1 hr less lab per week. Do you like more theory or more practical work? If you like more theory, then choose fundamental. People who do Higher are compensated for better scaling, so they are NOT disadvantaged from doing Higher by getting a lower mark.

kmk

HSC
hey survivor39. ahh ok thas good to noe. i'm heading towards choosing fundamentals. if i got a band 6 in chem, which i didnt, then id probably have more confidence but what the hec. i'll try and go rip up fundamentals for now. i think id like the lectures than the labs so i'll c how it turns out. any chem level is a prerequisite for the programs id like to take up so its all good now.
thanks for ya help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)