Memoirs of a Geisha (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm about to read the book as well... because the movie seems big, and it was on cover of Time. I prefer to read before watching- although, with P&P, I did it the wrong way round >_>

stazi

Nightman
HSC
pffft why would u read a book when it's out as a movie?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
(This is perhaps why our literacy levels and language skills are deteriorating)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
(This is perhaps why our literacy levels and language skills are deteriorating)
as is our ability to detect sarcasm ;)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Oh I see. Apologies, it's just that with some people on this forum you can't be too certain!

I suppose if in doubt there is this lovely icon :rolleyes:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
with me of all people, you should realise 40% of my posts = trolling
50% to sarcasm
and the last 20% to being a dick.
which leads to -10% for being normal.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
stazi said:
with me of all people, you should realise 40% of my posts = trolling
50% to sarcasm
and the last 20% to being a dick.
which leads to -10% for being normal.
Sigg'd.

kiteblood

HSC
I disliked it. Mostly because of the overwhelming sense of claustrophobia and tedious pace. Chapters seemed to pass by without anything actually happening. The whole 'Chairman' fantasy was frankly ridiculous, making it painfully obvious that despite Golden's historical/cultural knowledge, he has no idea what it feels like to be a Geisha, or a young girl, for that matter.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
I feel that a dynamic plot is not a prerequisite for a decent novel.

Character driven stories can be just as (if not more) compelling without too much actually going on.

kiteblood

HSC
I'll agree with that, of course. There's a difference between a quiet pace and a tedious one. I didn't feel Golden's characterizations were strong enough to support the former.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
Character driven stories can be just as (if not more) compelling without too much actually going on.
Catch 22 is probably one of those books.

winterfall

HSC
Oh I loved this book... realistically written, except for the ending where you get the impression Golden just wanted to kill of Nobu...

Lexie1001

HSC
i didn't want to read this book cos it looked a bit boring, especially since its historical fiction so probably isnt that accurate of the time. but then my friend gave it to me for my birthday so i had to read it! it was good in some bits but got boring sometimes, it took ages for stuff to happen and i didnt see where the plot was going. i also agree with kiteblood about the chairman....her whole fantasy with him really got on my nerves and then the ending seemed a bit unrealistic when it turns out he's been in love with her all along.

HSC
N/A
Yes, the entire motivation for Chiyo/Sayuri to become a Geisha was to meet the Chairman. The 'romantic' aspect of the plot just didn't cut it for me. It was weak and so unrealistic that I couldn't really empathise with her desire to be with some old guy :/

And I have to say that the ending ruined the book for me - too rushed.

The best part of the book was the whole Hatsumomo rivalry and bitchiness.

Just_a_Second

HSC
It was an interesting read but the main character was too delusional to be all that likeable. I was really pleased for the most part of the book when I thought she wasn't going to end up with the Chairman, I thought it was realistic. When she did end up with him I was really hacked off.
It think it is stupid how the introduction leads you into thinking its a real story and the girl was a real person. What the hell?

HSC
I watched the movie before reading the book. And I found the that book was really good. So i suggest reading it =]

shyr

HSC
i truly enjoyed the book. i was captivated by the story but was totally disappointed by the movie. it was far from what i expected.... i especially hated the part when Sayuri does her so-called coming-out dance.

T

Testpilot

The book may have been good but there was been controversy over it, as the person it is based on claims that a lot of it has been made up.

But then again, who cares, its not a biography.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)