Memorise Syllabus? (1 Viewer)

eternalsoul6

Chronic Crammer (><)
HSC
Well im preparing for the hsc for next year and am getting a head start in the holidays :) ,

Since i dont really have a studious background i'm slightly overwhelmed by HOW i should be studying.
As i do each dot point of from the syllabus would it be worth memorising the syllabus itself?, like the sections and their titles and then each dot point as i go along?

some advice would be appreciated ASAP!

eternalsoul6

Chronic Crammer (><)
HSC
sorry to be posting here again but could someone please post some light on my question?!?!?!?!??!

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
Memorising syllabi, IMHO, is counter productive. Instead, ask yourself,

If this syllabus dot point was given to me as a 7 marker in the final HSC examination, am I able to give a 7 marker response?

If you believe you can, write the response down, and ask your teacher/peers/ppl on BoS for their opinion.
If you can't, read through text books, ask your teacher/peers/search BoS forum/ask BoS ppl for answer, until you can give a 7 marker response.

ibewatto

HSC
in my subjects at least it appears learning the syllabus and the themes associated with the course is imperative. my teachers have given me countless examples from past papers where the question is a direct quote from the syllabus thus knowing wat points are underneath each part helps you answer it correctly

but also i agree with the previous comments you need to know skills also, dot points wont help in everythin

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Well, sometimes the questions in the exam are direct from the syllabus. So learning the syllabus dot points is a good idea. However, i think that it would be more productive to not just memorise the dot point, but also answer the dot point, where possible. If you need help with the dot points, try my draft notes.

twilight1412

HSC
dont memorise but know of them
in 7 mark questions its rarely just the one dot point its refering to
you need to look at the topic as a whole and say
'oh ye i can see how they can link these 4 dot points together to make a 7 mark question'

so studying and making notes for every single dot point will get you nowhere

eternalsoul6

Chronic Crammer (><)
HSC
Ok, so basically this is my mind set for studing chem

1. Go over the dot points and memorise the information under every dot point

2. Do past papers and questions from text books ----> which will inculde calculations and answering questions with graphs :p

I didnt mean just ONLY MEMORISE THE DOT POINTS but would like reassurance that 70% of the job is to study the syllabus and 30% is doing questions!

@me121

LOL already have those notes, thx again anyeways

king.rafa

HSC
N/A
thats hella stupid. get a book like silberberg's chemistry and learn off that

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
But why not memorise the syllabus dotpoint answers? This is what I'm planning to do in the year 11 preliminaries. In lessons, teachers go through each dotpoint and write notes for each of them. If the dotpoint answers are already memorised, therefore it's basically revision and gets more easily into your head, therefore being more prepared for the topic tests and exams. Did anyone else do this and could say if it was beneficial or not? Thanks.

Edited:

I'm planning on recording my dotpoint answers and reading them aloud. Does anybody else do this? When recorded, if you continously read your syllabus dotpoint answers aloud, does it help get more into your brain, instead of just looking at your notes or dotpoints and reading aloud? Thanks.

Last edited:

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Agree with anyone saying 'Don't memorise the syllabus!'. If this is what you mean when saying understand it then yeah, internalize it! Making it a certain or inevitable parts of life can help because we tend to always remember things that exist as a certain like the Earth is globe- but not sphere-shaped. Or acids are sour, stingy, able to change litmus paper red then it's *hell yeah* simpler to remember.

Of course as many say, answer the questions is the main point. Look at the criteria for the band 6 papers last year and get some info from that. Besides, to get a perfect score, the more important thing is to put something very you into the paper. i.e. Answering with diagram smartly, using tables correctly, giving tight arguments when facing questions like 'discussing, assessing, evaluating' in the most appropriate way, providing a bit of extra info (not necessary from the syllabus) with relevant use to support your argument is welcome. Still have to keep in mind extra info is essential, not based on biased judgement. Get these extra info when you do research on st. That's the point of doing research.

I read many answers from the texts book for questions worthing 6-7 marks but their statements are not quite relevent to what they then prove. So, using smartly the right 'adjective' has a persuasive effect.

I shut up now.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Undermyskin, answer my question as well, as your probably the only person that is viewing this thread :D (including me as well).

king.rafa

HSC
N/A
ul understand jack by going by rote off syllabus. get a book and understand the concepts not just memorise. go beyond the syllabus so then ul have a knowledge thatl make the questons seem easy

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
Forbidden. said:
Also you need to learn certain skills like interpreting and drawing graphs rather than rote-learn syllabus dot-points.
heyy forbidden how did you go in HSC chem?

eternalsoul6

Chronic Crammer (><)
HSC
king.rafa said:
ul understand jack by going by rote off syllabus. get a book and understand the concepts not just memorise. go beyond the syllabus so then ul have a knowledge thatl make the questons seem easy
Yes but to understand and forget is a WASTE OF TIME, ofcourse when your memorising your going to be understanding the information.

So in an exam when a question is presented it will be easier to pinpoint the location of the dot point, the topic and perhaps section its from making it a SHITLOAD easier to answer the question.

IM NOT SAYING JUST MEMORISE THE THEORY WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT THE HELL YOU'VE JUST LEARNT.

yeeshu

HSC
omfg get over it...stop posting and wasting ur time and start actually studying...:D

Evilo

HSC
xiao1985 said:
Memorising syllabi, IMHO, is counter productive. Instead, ask yourself,

If this syllabus dot point was given to me as a 7 marker in the final HSC examination, am I able to give a 7 marker response?

If you believe you can, write the response down, and ask your teacher/peers/ppl on BoS for their opinion.
If you can't, read through text books, ask your teacher/peers/search BoS forum/ask BoS ppl for answer, until you can give a 7 marker response.
+1

technically they cant ask a question outside the syllabus.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Nah there is no point memorising the syllabus. The thing the should pay attention to though are the verbs at the begining of each point (especially in the sciences), ie analyse, account, compare, evaluate etc. There is a glossary of key terms at the begining of the syllabus with the meanings of all of these words. Apparently one of the biggest mistakes people make is answering the qu wrong. For example if the syllabus point is compare, they will ask you a compare qu in the HSC exam. And if you just state information about the two things you will not get the marks, as compare means 'state similarities and differences'. You , however, do not have to memorise the actual points, or order they are in or anything. That will just be a waste of your time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)