Memorising Essay.. (1 Viewer)

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Ok so I have written up my 1400 words essay but my question is how will I memorise it perfectly? My essay's in 2 weeks from now and we got 1 hour to complete it so any strategies/advice from others who have done it would be helpful since this is my first time doing an eco essay in timed conditions (we were going to do one for our yearly but it got changed to an assignment due to covid... [of course]). I can't bring any form of notes in so its just pure memorisation.

Cheers everyone.

vishnay

God
HSC
Ok so I have written up my 1400 words essay but my question is how will I memorise it perfectly? My essay's in 2 weeks from now and we got 1 hour to complete it so any strategies/advice from others who have done it would be helpful since this is my first time doing an eco essay in timed conditions (we were going to do one for our yearly but it got changed to an assignment due to covid... [of course]). I can't bring any form of notes in so its just pure memorisation.

Cheers everyone.
make ur essay into a bunch of palm cards and read them out to yourself initially looking at the cards and then eventually start looking away until you can read it aloud without looking at the palm cards

try and regurgitate from memory after u finish and only look at the palm cards when u need to

this is honestly best strat i found for memorising and it helps if u do like maybe 2 paragraphs a day so u dont overload urself with info

ghudshifjhwijnc

HSC
N/A
i like to first separate my essay into paragraphs and then i type the first line and read it in my head and then type that line without looking and once im done i try remember the 2nd line and once i think that i fully memorised it i retype both the 1st and 2nd. lol u will be fine 2 weeks is literally plenty of time fr

icycledough

HSC

Cheers everyone.
1400 words to memorise? That's crazy ... I used to struggle memorizing 900-950 English essays, so fair play if you can memorise it. Makes sense why you have to start memorizing it nice and early.

Hiheyhello

HSC
i like to first separate my essay into paragraphs and then i type the first line and read it in my head and then type that line without looking and once im done i try remember the 2nd line and once i think that i fully memorised it i retype both the 1st and 2nd. lol u will be fine 2 weeks is literally plenty of time fr
omg plenty of time is an actual understatement

wait till u reach the hsc and ur memorising like 10 essays in 5 days
i meant that’s like TOTALLY not me…

like fr it’s so possible, i envy you with ur two weeks

cossine

HSC

Cheers everyone.
Read out loud. Should not be too hard.

nourished.

HSC

Cheers everyone.
If the exam question has already been given, then memorising a perfect essay would be ideal. However, if it hasn't already been given, I'd suggest you make essay skeletons or dotpoints instead.

Nonetheless, here's a weird tip for memorising your essay: write down how many sentences are in each paragraph, and what the first and last words of each sentence are. This will help jot your memory a lot whilst you're in the process of memorising it.

milsk8

HSC
looked up 'memoriser' on google to help u memorise your essay, helped me heaps!
(it basically gives u the first letter of every word to help you memorise it by writing it down.)

sab13562

HSC

Cheers everyone.
I tend to summarise each paragraph into simple dotpoints which are easy to memorise, because essays are written formally.
So like instead of: In 2020, Australian spent a 200 billion australian dollars stimulus package in response to covid to maintain economic growth and unemployment, which are two key economic objectives, I do this instead:
  • 2020 --> 200b stimulus --> covid --> EG and U/E
I find it much shorter and easier to memorise this way. Hope that helps!

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Yep, fully memorised my 1300-1400 word essay and I can complete it in an hours time with a minute to spare (too risky for my liking but it is what it is). Thanks everyone.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Thanks to everyone here, I was able to write about 2 booklets in about 45-50 mins and get 100%. I ended up doing multiple practice essays where I incorporated everyone's techniques such as these.

I tend to summarise each paragraph into simple dotpoints which are easy to memorise, because essays are written formally.
So like instead of: In 2020, Australian spent a 200 billion australian dollars stimulus package in response to covid to maintain economic growth and unemployment, which are two key economic objectives, I do this instead:
  • 2020 --> 200b stimulus --> covid --> EG and U/E
I find it much shorter and easier to memorise this way. Hope that helps!

read a paragraph first. write it out a few times without looking. make sure you remember the starting of each line and the rest should come to you.

If the exam question has already been given, then memorising a perfect essay would be ideal. However, if it hasn't already been given, I'd suggest you make essay skeletons or dotpoints instead.

Nonetheless, here's a weird tip for memorising your essay: write down how many sentences are in each paragraph, and what the first and last words of each sentence are. This will help jot your memory a lot whilst you're in the process of memorising it.
make ur essay into a bunch of palm cards and read them out to yourself initially looking at the cards and then eventually start looking away until you can read it aloud without looking at the palm cards

try and regurgitate from memory after u finish and only look at the palm cards when u need to

this is honestly best strat i found for memorising and it helps if u do like maybe 2 paragraphs a day so u dont overload urself with info
Best part was that this preparation did not consume time from my other subjects and I had plenty of time to ace them. I would've probably brute forced this memorisation and still hit a 20 but it would've affected my time in other subjects :)

Would recommend this thread for any students memorising an essay for an upcoming exam/assignment

sab13562

HSC
Thanks to everyone here, I was able to write about 2 booklets in about 45-50 mins and get 100%. I ended up doing multiple practice essays where I incorporated everyone's techniques such as these.

Best part was that this preparation did not consume time from my other subjects and I had plenty of time to ace them. I would've probably brute forced this memorisation and still hit a 20 but it would've affected my time in other subjects :)

Would recommend this thread for any students memorising an essay for an upcoming exam/assignment
Glad that helped 😊 And congrats for the great achievement!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)