Memorising for Trials (1 Viewer)

oly1991

HSC
i have pretty much finished all my essays for trials.

the only problem i have, is that im not sure if i should memoreise them or just know the main points? And also, should you memorise your thesis or make up a thesis in the exam room that suits the question?

opinions please?

Venetiad

HSC
IMO you shouldn't memorise your entire essays. Why? Stress is probable, overworking when you probably wouldn't need to, Revise elsewhere? but the biggest

Your probably going to just spit out that essay when you get in there. If the marker sees through your work, they probably won't like it much.

You should (IMO again) try to memorise a few (3?) common thesis and one really powerful thesis. But ofcourse, if the question doesn't relate to those you've mentioned your going to need to come up with one. You should most probably take the one you make in the room over the one that was premade, but this can be argued. There +/-s for each.

christoffpow

HSC
i have pretty much finished all my essays for trials.

the only problem i have, is that im not sure if i should memoreise them or just know the main points? And also, should you memorise your thesis or make up a thesis in the exam room that suits the question?

opinions please?
Ok. I disagree with the post above but then again.. I SUCK AT ENGLISH. badly. You should see my other post titled 'i hate english' in the same forum

Anyways what im doing is memerising all of my essays/writing pieces... so..

1. Creative writing
2. Belonging essay
3. Module A
4. Module B
5. Module C

Try to remember the main points... But i just find it easier to remember the whole essay. Remember though... If you do memerise theres one disadvantage.

They can give you a question (and most likely will) that is different to the question the essay you memorised responds to. Best way to overcome this... Is write an extremely general essay that responds to a very general question..

You can also write a general essay, but change around your introduction/conclusion in the exam to suit the question. Pre-written essays memorised, with the intro/conclusion changed to adapt to the question, usually recieve around band 5.

You can also write a pre-written general essay (make sure everything is basically techniques/quotes > example > effect), change the intro/conclusion to suit the question, AND when mentioning the effect of a technique, relate it back to how it conveys the question. People who do this.. get band 6.. coz they take on a more integrated approach..

Venetiad

HSC
Ok. I disagree with the post above but then again.. I SUCK AT ENGLISH. badly. You should see my other post titled 'i hate english' in the same forum

Anyways what im doing is memerising all of my essays/writing pieces... so..

1. Creative writing
2. Belonging essay
3. Module A
4. Module B
5. Module C

Try to remember the main points... But i just find it easier to remember the whole essay. Remember though... If you do memerise theres one disadvantage.

They can give you a question (and most likely will) that is different to the question the essay you memorised responds to. Best way to overcome this... Is write an extremely general essay that responds to a very general question..

You can also write a general essay, but change around your introduction/conclusion in the exam to suit the question. Pre-written essays memorised, with the intro/conclusion changed to adapt to the question, usually recieve around band 5.

You can also write a pre-written general essay (make sure everything is basically techniques/quotes > example > effect), change the intro/conclusion to suit the question, AND when mentioning the effect of a technique, relate it back to how it conveys the question. People who do this.. get band 6.. coz they take on a more integrated approach..
General Essay!? Thats suicide. If they can't see any detailed knowledge of the text (and don't just story tell, thats just as bad) they will murder your marks.

Like I said before, but with a slight change; unless your going to correctly memorising a response to at least 75% of the questions they could possibly throw at you, memorising is generally a bad idea.

renny 123

HSC
General Essay!? Thats suicide. If they can't see any detailed knowledge of the text (and don't just story tell, thats just as bad) they will murder your marks.

Like I said before, but with a slight change; unless your going to correctly memorising a response to at least 75% of the questions they could possibly throw at you, memorising is generally a bad idea.
I think by general essay they mean an essay (still with all the specifics eg. techniques, quality analysis, adressing the concerns of the module) however just one without the linking sentences that you would probably add in the exam room to adress the question more clearly
For me, memorising my essays has always worked

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
general essay!? Thats suicide. If they can't see any detailed knowledge of the text (and don't just story tell, thats just as bad) they will murder your marks.

Like i said before, but with a slight change; unless your going to correctly memorising a response to at least 75% of the questions they could possibly throw at you, memorising is generally a bad idea.
+1

DanielOrlievsky

HSC
My school constantly ranks in the top 10 in the state, and 70 percent of our cohort achieve band 6's in advanced english. THe reason? We ALL MEMORISE ESSAYS. THERE IS NO OTHER WAY. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ESSAYS MEMORISED YOU ARE SCREWED, BOTTOM LINE.

jellybelly59

HSC
IMO you shouldn't memorise your entire essays. Why? Stress is probable, overworking when you probably wouldn't need to, Revise elsewhere? but the biggest

Your probably going to just spit out that essay when you get in there. If the marker sees through your work, they probably won't like it much.

You should (IMO again) try to memorise a few (3?) common thesis and one really powerful thesis. But ofcourse, if the question doesn't relate to those you've mentioned your going to need to come up with one. You should most probably take the one you make in the room over the one that was premade, but this can be argued. There +/-s for each.
lol memorising a thesis is worst then remembering a generic essay.. essentially your thesis should be addressing the question... that's what a line of argument is for.... to address the question but if you have a premade one your pretty screwed. It would be better off to have a generic and then adapt and create a new thesis around that.

as for memorising essays .... whatever floats your boat. but just remember even if you do just make sure you answer the question or GG.

renny 123

HSC
My school constantly ranks in the top 10 in the state, and 70 percent of our cohort achieve band 6's in advanced english. THe reason? We ALL MEMORISE ESSAYS. THERE IS NO OTHER WAY. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ESSAYS MEMORISED YOU ARE SCREWED, BOTTOM LINE.
I agree, if you dont have at least some sort of scaffold in your head, all your information is going to be all jumbled up in your mind and come out a mess

kcrocks

HSC
In the prelim course I did not memorise any essays, and my marks were around 17/20 on average.... Memorising essays has pushed my ranking up slightly, now averaging 18-19 /20 per essay.... A tip would be to write a long-ish essay, and that way you can exclude points that are irrelevant to the question.

cheese!

HSC
The markers hate pre-prepared memorised essays. If you change one sentence in every paragraph to suit the question it's blatantly obvious to them what you've done. Our teachers have told us how sick the markers get of it too.

It's better to memorise key quotes, thesis, etc and mould them to suit what's being asked. I've done that for every exam and assessment and I'm ranked 2nd in the year.

But I suppose if you want an average mark it is the easier option and I can see why people do it. :/

DanielOrlievsky

HSC
"But I suppose if you want an average mark it is the easier option and I can see why people do it. :/</SPAN> "

You obviously have no idea how the english system works. You are fed generic questions applicable to any basic essay you have prepared. You can write a fantastic essay leading up to the exam, memorise it and then ace the exam. I'm starting to see why the state does so badly in english, without memorising you can forget about band 6's and possibly even band 5's.

imsopostmodern

cool as a kuhncumber
HSC
memorise your main points, general thesis and structure. but dont memorise word for word as it puts you at high risk for writing your preplanned essay in the exam room, where it often doesn't answer the question they've given you sufficiently.

most of the time they'll give you a general essay, but there have been odd years where they ask for something a bit more specific and so many people screw it up

gurmies

Drover
HSC
"but i suppose if you want an average mark it is the easier option and i can see why people do it. :/</span> "

you obviously have no idea how the english system works. You are fed generic questions applicable to any basic essay you have prepared. You can write a fantastic essay leading up to the exam, memorise it and then ace the exam. I'm starting to see why the state does so badly in english, without memorising you can forget about band 6's and possibly even band 5's.
infamous

cheese!

HSC
You obviously have no idea how the english system works. You are fed generic questions applicable to any basic essay you have prepared. You can write a fantastic essay leading up to the exam, memorise it and then ace the exam. I'm starting to see why the state does so badly in english, without memorising you can forget about band 6's and possibly even band 5's.
Well I'll tell you how I go. ;) Thanks for pre-judging me! Much appreciated.

DanielOrlievsky

HSC
Seeing how you go in an internal trial exam in :) coffs harbour marked by your internal teachers means absolutely nothing :haha: lets see how you do in the hsc.

Fluorescent

Banned
HSC
The markers hate pre-prepared memorised essays. If you change one sentence in every paragraph to suit the question it's blatantly obvious to them what you've done. Our teachers have told us how sick the markers get of it too.
I am willing to bet most markers can't tell the difference. Essentially you would be talking about the same thing anyway and just adding in an extra line top and bottom of each paragraph that restates the question and BAM! You've got yourself a good essay

Seriously, even my tutor was like "memories or your screwed"

I think the common mistake people make when memorising is relying purely on the memorised essay. I think the best outset would be to memorise your key points/techniques/themes and your essay. Because if you're in a test and you have a mind blank about what goes where, your memory of your basic skeleton will help you wing it from there. It works for me anyway

Vandalism

HSC
Well of course you need to memorise SOMETHING.

Personally, just go for what works for you. I like to sum up my techniques, quotes, examples and a few generic thesis' and the rest of the essay I flesh out on the day so I can tailor it to the question.

It's all about finding what works for you. Memorising a whole essay would be too much for me. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)