Memorising (1 Viewer)

TombRaider_Fan

What is the best way to memorise efficiently???

I do all the content based courses and i really need assistance on this area.

Thanks!!!!!

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Do you mean ROTE learn?

because it varies with different people. I can't abide learning by rote, it's the slowest way to learn. I'd rather not memorise an essay and just use points in an exam...that way you can compose a fresh response to the question being asked. if you try to memorise specific english essays answering one type of question, you run the risk of being totally screwed if you get a question that is so far removed from what you've memorised that you can't adapt it to the question.

when I'm forced to memorise, I surround myself with the text. I read it onto a tape and then listen, stick quotes up on the other side of the shower screen, practise typying out paragraphs. All are pretty time-consuming, but it also depends on your own innate ability to remember.

also, summarising into points and drawing mind maps won't help you remember word for word, but they'll give you a good idea of how what you're learning fits together. This works particularly well with subjects like chemistry, physics, business studies and the distinction courses. t's also good to draw a skeleton structure every essay response you memorise (if you choose to do this) for English, and have extra points you can use to expand on what you've written if you're required to.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
... the only essays i memorised were for english ... if you write the essays yourself memorising a 40 minute essay should take no more 4 hours (unless your memorising someone elses work in which case its alot harder) ... read through the text (/essay) at least three to four times ... and then write it out once while looking at it ... and then sleep ... do this at least once more time ... and on the day of the exam you should be able to write it all out ...

memorise a few other quotes and ideas ... just incase the question does not entirely suit your content ... memorising should be avoided at all costs and used as a last measure only ... thats my opinion though ...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
For HSC english, word for word i memorised the 4 essays in one week, by everyday, continually writing and writing them, to the point where I didnt need to refer back to anything while writing

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by MinAi
For HSC english, word for word i memorised the 4 essays in one week....
It took me practically a whole week to memorise my economics essay and that was like 3 pages typed!!!
Maybe I should begin by first cleaning out cobwebs in my brain...

Sarah

HSC
N/A
i didn't really memeorise whole essays though what i did do was memories good sentences from essays.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by utopian731
I would hardly recommend rote learning stuff, expecially in English, it was the downfall of many of my friends
not if you do no work during the year ...

InfiniteQ

Solitary
HSC
Originally posted by Orange Juice

umm dont mean to be dumb or anything but whats rote?
It's sort of when you're not really understanding what you're learning but you're doing it parrot fashion... I hope I explained right.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
For me I just practised a broad range of different essay q's for english and kept doing it until I could get them done in 40 minutes (which I found extremely difficult but still managed).

What you do have to memorise is the techniques of each of your texts and what each one is generally about. But memorising heaps of essays defnitely isn't the way to go. Although I did memorise one and could then modify that as much as I needed to the question (as long as you had to write an essay not in a different genre, thats why I practised genre writing too).

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Ultimate
What you do have to memorise is the techniques of each of your texts and what each one is generally about. But memorising heaps of essays defnitely isn't the way to go. Although I did memorise one and could then modify that as much as I needed to the question (as long as you had to write an essay not in a different genre, thats why I practised genre writing too).
It depends on the person I guess
coz what I did is memorize/rote learn 1 general essay for each module and 1 for the area of study (4 in total), which covered every aspect I deemed necessary, and was broad enough to adapt to different text types. If people plan to do that however, they must have an in-depth understanding of the texts, and what they are actually writing, coz of the uncertainty of the text types (module B from the 2002 for example)
I ended up with 92 for the exam, so I guess my method worked to a degree..

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
The markers aren't stupid. Remember, they are English teachers (often senior ones at that) that have just taught a class the same content as you are writing about. They know exactly when someone has adapted a prewritten essay to one in an exam and don't look upon it very kindly. The don't like wafty generalisations. They are looking for insightful, to-the-point discussions that stays on-topic. Just memorising essays is dangerous. It is far better to learn your texts back to front and know their themes and persuasions. If you know your texts well that is probably even easier than trying to adapt a prewritten essay that the markers will not be very impressed by.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
I memorised all my essays for the trials and the HSC, and it turned out to be a great help. Not because I didn't know enough to make up an essay on the spot, but because I have trouble sticking to time limits...I felt much more comfortable having an essay that i KNEW I coild write in 40 mins.

I think memorising an essay is OK-as long as you make it flexible. Figure out some paragraphs you could take out if they make you refer to an unseen text or something like that, and once you've memorised it, practice adapting it to different text types and questions. And it's probably best not to bother memorising an intro or conclusion-make that bit very specific to what is actually being asked, but have a few swish sounding quotes up your sleeve to pull out if needed.;)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by YEAR11
The markers aren't stupid.......that is probably even easier than trying to adapt a prewritten essay that the markers will not be very impressed by.
The markers mark to guidelines, if u meet the criteria, u get the marks - or at least it should be that way

and I guess the markers liked my prewritten essays then

schwang_thang

just make categories under the themes within the text

under each heading, make a few points on the main aspects of these themes. keep it short n sweet.

4 each point, assign a quote (if it's good), that helped me rmb my points

dont go overboard n rmb 2 many quotes (like me...i think i rmbed over 50 quotes 4 julius caesar n ended up filtering them in the exam n only using abt 20), just pick the absolute best ones that apply the most.

keep ur notes succinct, my eng notes were abt 10 pages altogether...n then read them over n over again until theyre stuck in2 ur head. i still have john donne quotes runnin around my head 'thy beams so reverend n strong, why shouldst thou thinke?...' ;)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
As stiffe twin compassess are two...for I...never shall be free...except u ravish mee...to warme the world..thats done in warming us...and makes me end..where I begunne.

Why havent I forgetten this already? :rolleyes:

Anyway, that was a bit of my technique there...I used to make different quotes into sentences..dunno if thats harder or easier for ppl to remember though..

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by MinAi

The markers mark to guidelines, if u meet the criteria, u get the marks - or at least it should be that way

and I guess the markers liked my prewritten essays then
read the notes from markers on the Board website. They say quite clearly that they don't appreciate (most-yours may have been adapted very well) prewritten essays as they are often off-topic and try and manipulate the questions to fit the essay instead of the other way around.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by YEAR11

read the notes from markers on the Board website. They say quite clearly that they don't appreciate (most-yours may have been adapted very well) prewritten essays as they are often off-topic and try and manipulate the questions to fit the essay instead of the other way around.
it depends - if your planned essay is really really specific, then you could easily be stuffed because you cant really adapt it ... but if its pretty general, then it should not be hard to adapt it ...

memorising is one skill, i guess, and adapting is another ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)