Mendels Second Law HELP =/ (1 Viewer)

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
hey everyone... has anyone done Mendel's Law for the blue print of life?

well the second law is this: the law of independant assortment, which states that each pair of factors [chromosomes] sorts out independently of other pairs at gamete formation...

i dont get it... does any understand it?

ellipsis

HSC
Check with your teacher before you properly listen to what I say, but I think we don't need to know the 2nd law any more, because it relates more to the results using dihybrid crosses and in the new syllabus we only have to cover monohybrid crosses - I think] .

But anyway, from what I understand it goes like this:

The first law says that each person has 2 factors for one characteristic (two genes for the one phenotype).

So I'll use the example of black hair. Say you have Hh, that means you have the dominant gene H - so you have the black hair, and also the recessive h - which just bums around and does nothing. So you have 2 genes for the one thing.

You also have freckles Ff. ( F being the dominant have freckes one, f being reccesive useless one).

Now if your cells are creating gametes (splitting up via meiosis to become sperm/eggs) then each of these cells has Hh, Ff and when they split, each will get one of the two hair genes, and one of the two freckle genes. But when they split, there is no way to tell which goes where - each pair of factors sort out independantly of others.

So the 2 sex cells (actually 4 because of mitosis first, but meh)
could each end up with a h & f, a H & f, a h&F or a H&F, you don't know which H/h will pick which F/f

Essentially, it just says, that there is no way of telling what they'll do, they do it indepently - its not like they buddy up and both the dominants (H and F) will go off together. His experiment showed this because there was no obvious pattern of anything buddying up, it appeared random.

The problem with his 'law' (and also prolly why I think they trashed it from the syllabus) is that for some genes there is a pattern, but only some - mostly related ones, so if it was a gene for black hair and a gene for curly hair then they might buddy up when dominant.

Hope this helps :D . I tend to ramble and use vague terms (like buddy) but hopefully we don't need to know any of it anyway.

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
Originally posted by ToOhEyZ
hey everyone... has anyone done Mendel's Law for the blue print of life?

well the second law is this: the law of independant assortment, which states that each pair of factors [chromosomes] sorts out independently of other pairs at gamete formation...

i dont get it... does any understand it?
heloooo
mendel's laws aren't there in da syllabus nemore......
i reckon u shud get a copy of the new syllabus soon.....

ellipsis

HSC
The first one is.

And anyway, the better understanding you have of how genetics works, the easier you'll find everything. Thats why I bothered to learn the 2nd one - plus I find genetics interesting anyway.

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
Re: Re: Mendels Second Law HELP =/

Originally posted by elizabethy

heloooo
mendel's laws aren't there in da syllabus nemore......
i reckon u shud get a copy of the new syllabus soon.....
hahahahah yeah i figured that... i just looked at the syllabus last night... but it doesnt hurt knowing it i guess.

thanks ellipsis for your help! you made things clearer for me :D your a life saver - thanks dude :cool:

mannnnndy

chocoholic
Originally posted by ellipsis

The problem with his 'law' (and also prolly why I think they trashed it from the syllabus) is that for some genes there is a pattern, but only some - mostly related ones, so if it was a gene for black hair and a gene for curly hair then they might buddy up when dominant.

The reason for black hair & curliness being linked is because the genes for hair colour and curliness are on the same chromosome. So when the chromosomes split up, the black colour and the curliness genes stay together and so the child that inherits this chromosome has black curly hair (providing that black curly hair is dominant). Genes which show a pattern of occuring together eg. hair colour & eye colour, are said to be 'linked' because they occur on the same chromosome.

I just wanted to clear that up so you dont write something incorrect in an exam:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)