meningococcal (1 Viewer)

mandalay

cortigiana onesta
HSC
i was just wondering... can meningococcal be passed on through family members? e.g. can you get meningococcal if u share food/drinks with a relative?

thanks

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
mandalay said:
i was just wondering... can meningococcal be passed on through family members? e.g. can you get meningococcal if u share food/drinks with a relative?

thanks
I'm quite sure that the disease doesn't discriminate between different relationships.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/meningococcal_g.htm#Is meningitis contagious

Is meningitis contagious?

Yes, some forms of bacterial meningitis are contagious. The bacteria are spread through the exchange of respiratory and throat secretions (i.e., coughing, kissing). Fortunately, none of the bacteria that cause meningitis are as contagious as things like the common cold or the flu, and they are not spread by casual contact or by simply breathing the air where a person with meningitis has been.

However, sometimes the bacteria that cause meningitis have spread to other people who have had close or prolonged contact with a patient with meningitis caused by Neisseria meningitidis (also called meningococcal meningitis) or Hib. People in the same household or day-care center, or anyone with direct contact with a patient's oral secretions (such as a boyfriend or girlfriend) would be considered at increased risk of acquiring the infection. People who qualify as close contacts of a person with meningitis caused by N. meningitidis should receive antibiotics to prevent them from getting the disease. Antibiotics for contacts of a person with Hib meningitis disease are no longer recommended if all contacts 4 years of age or younger are fully vaccinated against Hib disease (see below).

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yes

why do you think not? it might help us understand your question more

jennylim

HSC
possibly. but im just posting to fix up one of my little pedantic things. meningacoccal is an adjective...you can catch meningacoccal DISEASE. or meningitis...

lol soz bout that.

asscookie

dork.
HSC
Meningococcal is not supposed to be as contagious as cold/flu but if you come into contact with the saliva of a person with the disease (from eating their food, sharing utensils) then you potentially contract it.

Keen

MD
HSC
But it's a sudden onset disease, so you know, you should know whitin a day or two whether you've got it. And if you think you might have got it go to a doctor ASAP.
Just be careful.

Keen

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Yeah a guy that I work with just had a friend die from meningococcal.... he went to the hospital feeling ill, then 6 hours later he passed away. He was only 20. It was very sad.

Yeah it can be passed on to family members. If someone in your family has it then the whole family is supposed to be treated with antibiotics.

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
A friend of mine, who I met through my ex was 16 and had a headache at school. She went home and woke up 4 months later without her legs and limited use of her arms. I couldn't imagine anything worse. She is on dialysis 3 times a DAY!!! She fell pregnant unexpectedly and had to spend most of her time in hospital. She gave birth very very early and lost the baby after a few hours. Before she even got home from hospital her boyfriend had packed her bags and left. Asshole!!!

But anyway, meningococcal is a horrible thing and it can be so easy to catch, from anyone, including family

kaylz

HSC
tammer said:
A friend of mine, who I met through my ex was 16 and had a headache at school. She went home and woke up 4 months later without her legs and limited use of her arms. I couldn't imagine anything worse. She is on dialysis 3 times a DAY!!! She fell pregnant unexpectedly and had to spend most of her time in hospital. She gave birth very very early and lost the baby after a few hours. Before she even got home from hospital her boyfriend had packed her bags and left. Asshole!!!

But anyway, meningococcal is a horrible thing and it can be so easy to catch, from anyone, including family
you mean her boyfriend did her while she was had no legs?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)