Merit and Entry Scholarship Email (1 Viewer)

avro

HSC
Did anyone get the email? I got rejected :(:(

Did anyone get placed on the wait list or whatever? If so, what faculty? And congrats!

And anyone else who got rejected: we can all be sad together :(

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I have an interview for mine.

Hugs guys, you guys are so smart you might get high enough ATAR for auto ones and such!

rosemcc

HSC
I got shortlisted!! (got my email this morning)
I'm applying for the science faculty. Does anyone know what my chances are like? How many people are shortlisted and don't get it? And how do they differentiate between who gets merit and who gets entry?

EDIT: also - I thought the science faculty did interviews but my email says nothing about an interview...?

avro

HSC
I think 2 for access, and possibly 2 or 3 for merit. Not too sure how many get shortlisted. Even though my extra curriculars were very good (state champ debater etc etc) I applied for the Arts faculty which encompasses a bucket load of degrees, like International and Global Studies and Media and Communications. I'm disappointed, but I knew there would have been a TONNE who applied for that faculty with the same extra curriculars as myself, and also with the same competitive grades.

Congratulations to all :)

avro

HSC
2 or 3 refer to how many people get the respective scholarships. Its a very small number in comparison to the applicants.

rosemcc

HSC
only 2 or 3?? So I basically have no chance..? I thought it was 10/15ish per faculty...

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
I think 2 for access, and possibly 2 or 3 for merit. Not too sure how many get shortlisted. Even though my extra curriculars were very good (state champ debater etc etc) I applied for the Arts faculty which encompasses a bucket load of degrees, like International and Global Studies and Media and Communications. I'm disappointed, but I knew there would have been a TONNE who applied for that faculty with the same extra curriculars as myself, and also with the same competitive grades.

Congratulations to all :)
I've heard its quite hard to get a merit scholarship from the Arts faculty.

thekooldude

HSC
I got shortlisted!! (got my email this morning)
I'm applying for the science faculty. Does anyone know what my chances are like? How many people are shortlisted and don't get it? And how do they differentiate between who gets merit and who gets entry?

EDIT: also - I thought the science faculty did interviews but my email says nothing about an interview...?
I got this exact same thing as well :)

avro

HSC
I know someone who received the Entry scholarship for the Architecture faculty in 2011. She was one of two. There was five whom received the Access. I'm guessing 7 per faculty.

Yeah Omnipotence, I have heard that too. But oh well, not to worry. I'd rather it go to someone who shines or desperately needs the money!

avro

HSC
The only consolation LHS is that you know that your extra curriculars and science achievements were great, and even if you unluckily don't manage to get it (fingers crossed though), you'll know that you'll be working among some really talented students too if you decide to go to Sydney, and that is a good thing! :)

rosemcc

HSC
A while back I found a 2012 Science faculty awards night brochure and it looked like there were about 11 names under merit winners and 15 for entry... Not sure what it's like for other faculties though. I thought they would give out more...
I reaaalllyyy need this!!

SoresuMakashi

HSC
Sad. And I thought I had a good chance with an ATAR estimate of ~99.

Although now that I mention it, I didn't actually bother to say anything about that on my application.

neontiger

HSC
I know someone who received the Entry scholarship for the Architecture faculty in 2011. She was one of two. There was five whom received the Access. I'm guessing 7 per faculty.

Yeah Omnipotence, I have heard that too. But oh well, not to worry. I'd rather it go to someone who shines or desperately needs the money!
The smaller faculties give out very few scholarships, some only give ~10. Science gives out ~20. Arts gives out ~20. The Business School gives out many more because they've got a lot of corporate backing (I think that's the reason) - I think this year they gave ~40.

I have friends who are spectacular individuals... ATARs in the 99's, lots of extracurriculars and high aspirations... And some of them didn't even get shortlisted for Arts/Science/other faculties. You have to be really, really, really, really amazing to get one (especially in Arts!) - so congrats to those who got shortlisted!

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
The only consolation LHS is that you know that your extra curriculars and science achievements were great, and even if you unluckily don't manage to get it (fingers crossed though), you'll know that you'll be working among some really talented students too if you decide to go to Sydney, and that is a good thing! :)
Thanks avro, still nice to know I was in the hunt! Why do only some science people have interviews? Are interviews only for merit opposed to entry?

rosemcc

HSC
Thanks avro, still nice to know I was in the hunt! Why do only some science people have interviews? Are interviews only for merit opposed to entry?
Are you doing science and got an interview? I'm trying to figure out why my email didn't mention one...

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Are you doing science and got an interview? I'm trying to figure out why my email didn't mention one...
Yeah, I'm not sure why not science have interviews, maybe you are auto through or will have to have it once ATARs are out? Perhaps it depends on the specific science course.

thekooldude

HSC
we need to wait til ATARs are out and if u have 95+ ATAR then u'll be asked for an interview

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)