Merrylands Ps Test (1 Viewer)

bec3

HSC
I'm taking my ps next month at Merrylands and was wondering if anyone has gotten their ps here? Any idea on the test route?
Any tips?

Cheers

EDIT: My instructor said I don't have to indicate left when leaving a roundabout to go straight in merrylands as they're too small
Is that right?

Last edited:

User5555555

HSC
First off, congratulations on choosing the second hardest test location with a notoriously low pass rate (37%).

Fortunately for you, I did my test there in a manual and passed. It really depends which road they take you but I'll give you a rundown of the route I went (Guildford)
So first before the instructor gets in the car, they have to get you to indicate and press the brake. Once they're inside the car and talk to you, start adjusting your seat and mirrors so it shows them that you're getting prepared. Once you finish, you tell them 'I am ready to begin the test'.
When you go out, indicate for at least 5 seconds and learn forward to check both sides. For my examiner, my instructor told me he was extremely picky with head checks and even if you get a good score but fail one head check, you fail the test (I don't think that's allowed but okay).

So when you go along McFarlane road, keep left. Until he tells you to turn right, then change lanes. If its left, keep the left lane.

Now this is the part where I failed the first time: When you turn left, TURN INTO THE LEFT LANE, not into the outer one. I made that mistake and failed.

Remember: Every single road in Merrylands area near the station is a 40 zone. When you're the first car at the traffic lights, ALWAYS do a head check, make it obvious like lean forward and check both sides. It looks stupid but you have to.

After a while, they will tell you to turn right into a street where there is a Merrylands Police station. After this, all roads are 50 zones. They will tell you to go straight through two roundabouts before turning left, and then immediately turning right.

He will then lead you on, giving directions where to turn and do your manoeuvres (3 point turn/ reverse parking/kerbside stop). When you do your 3 point turn, it is important that you do all of your head checks properly, else, you will lose marks or fail the test. Same with Reverse parking.

On the Oxford Road/Hawksview road bridge, you must be careful to stay within the boundaries of the road. A friend of mine drove straight over solid lines and failed. Also watch your speed when you go over the bridge. What I did in the test was go 40 km/h and speed up a little bit whilst going up, but when I went down, I had my foot off the acelerator and started to change my gears down to 3 and 2 before maintaining 40 km/h. The rest of the test should be easy up to the 45 degree parallel parking which is mandatory. For 45 degree parking, you should know your steering wheel rotations and you'll be fine.

Re: EDIT
No, you do not need to indicate left while leaving a roundabout as it is not a multi-lane nor is it practical to do so.

Tips: Change your gears smoothly, don't rush or pull gears as you will fail the test. Change gears at around 3000 RPM and don't go above 4th gear in suburban roads or they will take marks off/fail you for incorrect use of gears.

Watch out for school zones! You must travel close to 40 km/h. If you go too slow (35 km/h or below) or too fast (41 km/h or above), you will instantly fail.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)