metals assessment (1 Viewer)

ttrinix

HSC
Hey everyone. So I've got an extended response to write based on the metals section of yr 11 chem, and was just wondering if you could help =)
So heres the q:
Based on present rate of usage, reserves of aluminium, copper and iron are expected to lsat approx. 30,20 and 90yrs respectively. As these metals aer used extensively by our society, a shortage of any of them will have vast consequences. For each of the metals, outline possible consequences and how can scientists help to make these reserves last longer.

Alright, so, what would be the possible social, economic and environmental consequences???
and what other strategies besides recycling can scientists apply?

thanks in advance =)

Blushii

HSC
Wow that sounds like year 10 geo or science man.

Well... maybe you could combine alloys with the metals to reduce their usage rate, idk that just popped into my head.

Environmental= excesss extraction of metal from ore requires a lot of energy = thermal pollution of environment, i wrote that in geo once. XD

i hope i helped to some extent

yousukatmaths

HSC
Hmm you can't alloy specifically just to save the metal. One thing, the alloy would still primarily consist of the metal in question and secondly, alloying changes the properties of the metal (i.e. you only use it to suit the purpose).

Also, to the OP guy, for recycling, you can go on about trying to develop new and more efficient recycling technologies which would make it more efficient and attractive to recycle. I dunno man... What school do you go to? This question sounds too hardcore.

ttrinix

HSC
mann thanks guys, what other impacts and strategies are there?
:uhoh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)