Method of Sections Question (1 Viewer)

perhapsmaybewhy

HSC
This question has me completely stumped. If anyone could show me how to do it, it would be greatly appreciated.
(probably won't get a reply considering this sections essentially a ghost town.)

Sections.jpg

Last edited:

Rathaen

HSC
If you take moments around joint number 1, forces X and Z pass through the joint, and so the only force resisting the turning moment of the external forces is force Y (since the system is in equilibrium). You'll have to work out the perpendicular distance between Y and Joint 1 (some combinatione of Sine rule, Cosine rule and pythagoras, usually), and then take moments around joint 1 = 0, and taking clockwise (because why not) direction as positive.

That gives: (20kN * 2) + (20kN * 4) - (Y * distance) = 0. Which lets you work out Y.

Once you have Y, take another joint that X passes through, but not Z (or the other way around, doesn't matter too much), in other words, Joint 2 or 3, and take moments around that to find force Z. Then you can find out force X by doing the same thing: Take moments around any joint that X DOESN'T pass through to find X.

That's the explanation of HOW to do it. If you really can't do that, your teacher really should be helping you on this, man.

BlackKlavier

HSC
yea that method works just fine (Y) :)
and yes your teacher should be helping you with this. it's a foundation thing you need to know.
Here's what i believe is an easier method of thinking of method of sections:
- generally the toughest you'll get is three unknowns like in this question.
so eliminate 2 unknowns. like in rathaen's answer:
take moments around 1 to eliminate X and Z to find Y
then take moments around 4 to eliminate X and Y to find Z
then take moments around 7 to eliminate Y and Z to find X

so always think: i have three find a spot to take moments such that i eliminate two.
rathaen's method works perfectly as well only difference is that using 1 4 and 7 allows you to assess the members in whichever order you want. so if the question asks for only one (and you still have 3 unknowns) then you minimize the work you need to do by using this though structure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)