Micro Black Holes (1 Viewer)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
I was just checking out the wiki page on the Large Hadron Collider to see when they are planning to get it up and running (May this year, apparently) and I found this excerpt after scrolling down the page:

Wiki said:
Micro Black Holes

Although the Standard Model of particle physics predicts that LHC energies are far too low to create black holes, some extensions of the Standard Model posit the existence of extra spatial dimensions, in which it would be possible to create micro black holes at the LHC [25][26][27] at a rate on the order of one per second. According to the standard calculations these are harmless because they would quickly decay by Hawking radiation. The concern is[attribution needed] that Hawking radiation (which is still debated[28]) is not yet an experimentally-tested, or naturally observed phenomenon, and so micro black holes might not decay as rapidly as calculated, thereby accumulating inside the earth and 'devouring' it.[citation needed]
I was amused.

boris

Banned
HSC
lol.
First it's like
According to the standard calculations these are harmless because they would quickly decay by Hawking radiation
And then they're like, BUT WAIT!

Hawking radiation (which is still debated[28]) is not yet an experimentally-tested, or naturally observed phenomenon, and so micro black holes might not decay as rapidly as calculated, thereby accumulating inside the earth and 'devouring' it.

HSC
My understanding is that what the hadron collider does is produced in our atmosphere already, so if micro black holes were a problem we'd already know about it.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
youBROKEmyLIFE said:
My understanding is that what the hadron collider does is produced in our atmosphere already, so if micro black holes were a problem we'd already know about it.

THE BERMUDA TRIANGLE

No I know that is caused by methane release. Still, funny.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
KFunk said:
I was just checking out the wiki page on the Large Hadron Collider to see when they are planning to get it up and running (May this year, apparently) and I found this excerpt after scrolling down the page:

I was amused.
I lol'd. :D

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Slidey said:
Hadron Accelecrator sounds too much like Hard on accelerator?

Pretty funny that they put the latitude and longitude of it on wikipedia, probally end up with some eco-terrorist attack or something.

I dont like people complaining how we are all gonna die because of it, if it happens idc, i'll be dead

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)