Microsoft Surface 3 (not the Pro) (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Is anyone interested in the new Surface 3? I'm actually considering it (partially because fiance wants to get for my birthday) and it would be a good replacement for the Asus T100TA which I recently sold on Gumtree. It's a little bit smaller than Surface Pro with a 10.7" screen and it's a bit lighter so I'm interested, and spec wise the new Atom x7 is ahead of the z3775 in my T100.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
I dont like the surface.. too complicated. Lol in the beginning of uni my friend was using it in our lecture and in the middle of him writing his notes the whole device just crashed but thank god he was using google doc, because of that incident I dont really like the surface esp its price tag :p.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I ended up buying one for fun as the SP3 is too big for me and I just want something smaller but not too small. Seems to have decent reviews.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I ended up becoming impatient and just buying it myself rather than waiting for a couple of months. I said she can get me the pen and type cover for my birthday though so I'm currently using my old Logitech k400r keyboard which has been lying around since I gave my parents the Mac Mini (once I realised it didn't make sense for me to have it as an HTPC - although in hindsight if I had kept it, it would've been the most powerful desktop PC I own as I don't have any other desktop PCs!).

So far I'm really enjoying using the Surface 3. It's got a much bigger screen than the T100 but isn't as big as Pro 3 which is a bit difficult to carry around as a portable.

Last edited:

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
can u use 3rd party keyboard on the surface pro ?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
can u use 3rd party keyboard on the surface pro ?
yes you can- it's a normal Windows PC after all. It only has one USB port so unless you are willing to use it up, a Bluetooth one is probably a better option. I did try it with my Logitech Unifying receiver with my old k400r keyboard and it worked well too.

But that being said, the Type Cover makes the most sense given it's one of the key features of the Surface line and it actually works really well. Feels pretty good to type on even compared to my numerous Bluetooth keyboards.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
Thank god you chose the Type keyboard, the touch one is so unresponsive and the type one just feels better in general

Are you planning on getting the docking station for it (i.e. The one with a speaker, extra USB ports, etc.) to get that desktop feel?

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers...crosoft-surface-pro-3-docking-station/615171/

Have you also gotten a micro/mini HDMI cable so you can connect it to a larger screen (such as a TV) when watching a movie?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Thank god you chose the Type keyboard, the touch one is so unresponsive and the type one just feels better in general

Are you planning on getting the docking station for it (i.e. The one with a speaker, extra USB ports, etc.) to get that desktop feel?

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/computers...crosoft-surface-pro-3-docking-station/615171/
Not really planning to as no need really. I don't use ethernet at my study desk or in my bedroom as my wireless AC router is already far and above my internet bandwidth (300Mbps), I have a great Bowers & Wilkins A5 speaker in my bedroom and a H/K bluetooth speaker in my study, and I don't think I need all those USB ports yet. Also no external monitor at home. I don't think the dock has a speaker built in - just a connection to hook it up permanently to another speaker.

I think they stopped making the touch cover after it failed.

Have you also gotten a micro/mini HDMI cable so you can connect it to a larger screen (such as a TV) when watching a movie?
Yep. It doesn't work that great though IMO. I get better results just using my Pioneer bluray player which streams off my DLNA server and is hooked up via HDMI to my 5.1 receiver/speakers.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm really enjoying using the Surface 3 with Type Cover but it is a tinsy bit noisy to type on at night.

LOL if you keeping buy these stuff yourself what is your fiancée going to buy you for bday?
Help me- she's annoyed that she can't think of anything to get me for my birthday! i'd tell her an apple watch but that's what i got her for her b'day (which happens to be a couple of weeks after my birthday).

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'm really enjoying using the Surface 3 with Type Cover but it is a tinsy bit noisy to type on at night.

Help me- she's annoyed that she can't think of anything to get me for my birthday! i'd tell her an apple watch but that's what i got her for her b'day (which happens to be a couple of weeks after my birthday).
What's wrong with that haha. Go for it!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
lol I talked to people from work and convinced them to buy Surface 3's as well... seems to be a popular choice now! That being said I am actually posting this message from my iPad Air 2 with the Logitech keyboard case (Type+) and am also enjoying the keyboard on this too. And the simple user interface of Tapatalk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)