Microsoft Windows Longhorn WinHEC Build 4074 Preview 2 (1 Viewer)

Winston

HSC
Well, WinHEC is here, and we are enlightened with a new build of longhorn this build is extremely promising however DCE is still disabled in this build, but a workaround in enabling it is available, also DCE is now renamed to DWM.

Screenshots of a an installed copy on machine:

Sammael

From what I know, there are only aesthetic changes. Are there any practical modifications of Longhorn over XP or will I eventually be forking out a few grand for a shinier desktop?

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by jm1234567890
screen shots of this version were leaked weeks ago....
Right... not build 4074 mate, and not with DWM enabled.

Originally posted by Sammael
From what I know, there are only aesthetic changes. Are there any practical modifications of Longhorn over XP or will I eventually be forking out a few grand for a shinier desktop?

Yes WinFS, Indigo, Avalon, all the pillars of Longhorn are included, by far much more efficient, and please consider there's still 2 years away and it's Pre-Alpha, not even Alpha yet.

Ziff

HSC
N/A
God it's ugly and looks really painful towards my graphics card and CPU...

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
I installed SP2 but it didnt make my desktop like that

the only thing it changed was the wireless network connections, the tablet input panel (better handwriting recognition), and inbuilt firewall / control panel GUI.

Unless that screeny is taken with style xp theme or sumthing..:s

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
i hope the hardware requirements catch up...

the stuff the said at the developer conference was quite crazy...

4-6ghz dual core cpu... in 2 years?

i mean 4 ghz will be realised at end of this year, but i doubt it will become main stream in another year.

also 3x as fast graphics card? even the extreme graphics 3 isn't a good enough integrated card. you would expect longhorn to run on an integrated card or corporate buyers will not adopt it...

i reckon they will cut out stuff or allow users to cripple it

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Grizzly
I installed SP2 but it didnt make my desktop like that

the only thing it changed was the wireless network connections, the tablet input panel (better handwriting recognition), and inbuilt firewall / control panel GUI.

Unless that screeny is taken with style xp theme or sumthing..:s
I hope you read the thread title, because SP2 and Longhorn isn't the same thing! :p

Longhorn is the next version of Windows due out in 2 yrs time, the above screenshots is Pre-Alpha, and shouldn't be taken into context of what the final would be.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
oh ok , fair enough !

thats right, mines a 2027(?) build....

but i thought its out late this year...might be thinking of sum other win upgrade.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by jm1234567890
i hope the hardware requirements catch up...

the stuff the said at the developer conference was quite crazy...

4-6ghz dual core cpu... in 2 years?

i mean 4 ghz will be realised at end of this year, but i doubt it will become main stream in another year.

also 3x as fast graphics card? even the extreme graphics 3 isn't a good enough integrated card. you would expect longhorn to run on an integrated card or corporate buyers will not adopt it...

i reckon they will cut out stuff or allow users to cripple it
Nah, it's really all speculation we shouldn't go by predictions, i mean they're still piecing out every aspect of Longhorn and it's really unexpected. But then again how would we know how hardware goes in two years time perhaps dual CPU processors become a trend on desktop PC, and perhaps a normal pre-built system with dual 64 bit processor's are equivalent to a normal price PC now, you never know, and it's also inevitable too i mean someone has got to set a trend in hardware movement towards consumers i mean you don't see alot of consumers owning dual CPU's, maybe some may not know and some may not have that kind of money, but if software demands for it, prices will surely drop as demand increases. But in regards to graphics cards, the way Longhorn wants to do it is, taking advantage of the Graphicss cards processing power, as opposed to taking adv of the CPU power, much like how Mac is doing their rendering of a nice GUI with great transition effects.

Winston

HSC
oh ok , fair enough !

thats right, mines a 2027(?) build....

but i thought its out late this year...might be thinking of sum other win upgrade.
Microsoft XP Codename Reloaded?

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
No idea
But the SP2 beta is a big thing among win tablet xp edition users...

Winston

HSC
No idea
But the SP2 beta is a big thing among win tablet xp edition users...
And also XP users, it poses a lot of architecure changes in the OS, it's a pretty drastic change and strange for an SP, however i like the Security Centre they have, and also the new things IE is getting like a built in pop-up blocker and also windows that cannot be rendered to be removing the toolbar, titlebar and the menu.

Winston

HSC
http://www.tabletpcbuzz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12690

Only problem is tho, even if i had to chance to, i wont touch anymore beta / previews from microsoft....

im not a guinea pig :p
I like BETA testing, not because i enjoy being a guinea pig, but because i like the progression throughout the development and how things evolve and also why things were done at a certain way, and also by the time the product is RTM i'll be fairly proficient at using it. So far i've only BETA tested Office 2003, Windows Messenger 5.0, and right now Windows Update V4.

I hope i get into the Longhorn BETA's once it kicks off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)