Mid Semester Exams - Torts (1 Viewer)

HSC
Anyone freakin out about our exam on saturday? Anyone not learnt how to structure out a legal essay answer? Anyone found any tips or anything to help cope with it.. Im just glad its open book!

Here's a past exam paper but its final yr.. still could get a bit of a sus..also the IRAC Format of legal problem solving..

http://library.uws.edu.au/FILES/exams/autumn2008/200008 (Final).pdf

IRAC
Legal argument follows a process:

Identify the Issue(s)
State the Rules relevant to the legal issues
Apply the rules to the facts of the problem
Draw a Conclusion
Every legal problem has one or more issues. Once issues are identified then each issue is dealt with using a basic formula to construct a legal argument. In your unit notes and legal texts, you will find this formula outlined in a variety of ways. IRAC is a common acronym used by the School of Law to describe the process used to formulate legal arguments.

Generic feedback sheet- Torts mid-semester 2008

These are the criteria the markers used to assess the mid-semester:

demonstrate an understanding of the core principles of the torts of negligence (only overview and duty of care aspects at mid-semester) and trespass;
construct a proposition of law established by case law;
identify the relevant legal issues that arise on a given set of facts;
make arguments about the way in which those legal issues are likely to be resolved, noting contrary arguments and their strengths;
provide case authorities for propositions of law that they use in those arguments;
where applicable, distinguish the facts in decided cases from those in a given set of facts and build this into argument;
structure an answer to a problem question in a logical and effective way.

Descriptors for the grades are:

Fail (below 50)- inadequate understanding, inadequate grasp of skills

Pass (50-59)- work of satisfactory quality

Credit (60-69)- work of good quality

Distinction (70-79)- work of superior quality

High Distinction (80 plus)- work of exceptional quality

The highest mark given was 82 (to a number of students). There were 8 HD, 89 D, 158 Credit, 107 Pass and 23 failures. Marks were moderated to ensure consistency between markers and compliance with the College’s grade distribution bands.

Last edited:

dude01

HSC
Ahh torts was my favourite subject back in the day. That's really good that they teach you guys IRAC now in first year. I was never taught it, basically had to figure it out ourselves.

Interesting to see the grade distributions. Just shows getting credits really aren't that great when the majority of people are getting that grade lol

btw I think you've got the descriptors for the grades wrong. Should be:

Pass 50-64
Credit 65-74
Distinction 75-84
High Distinction 85 +

Last edited:

HSC
Ahh torts was my favourite subject back in the day. That's really good that they teach you guys IRAC now in first year. I was never taught it, basically had to figure it out ourselves.

Interesting to see the grade distributions. Just shows getting credits really aren't that great when the majority of people are getting that grade lol

btw I think you've got the descriptors for the grades wrong. Should be:

Pass 50-64
Credit 65-74
Distinction 75-84
High Distinction 85 +
hahaha nah we havent learnt irac i found it online so im just sharing it...

Thanks for the correcting I found the generic grades online lolol..

dude01

HSC
hahaha nah we havent learnt irac i found it online so im just sharing it...

Thanks for the correcting I found the generic grades online lolol..

I wish I was as proactive as you! IRAC definitely works for legal problem solving, my marks improved since I started using that method. Also don't be afraid to use headings in law problem solving questions! the good thing about torts is some of the cases are so outrageous that it makes it really easy to remember the principles.

Good luck in your exam

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)