• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Mid-tier firms/big4 and salaries (1 Viewer)

miss-smexy

HSC
I was wondering which of these had higher salaries - and for cadetships, which of these firms pay more (inc. fringe benefits)?

Do you think it is easier to climb up the ladder in a mid-tier firm or one of the big 4? My friend told me it would probably be easier to do this in a mid-tier firm.

Also, the mid-tier firms seem to emphasize that they don't treat you like a number - like the big 4 do. Is this true? For those of you who have or had a cadetship, what was your experience with your firms? Why did you choose to work in the firm that you did (i.e. one of the big 4 or a mid-tier firm)?

turtleface

HSC
Accounting firms pay shit at low levels no matter if they are Big 4 or Mid Tier. Actually, tax and Corp fi are ok, but the rest are crap.

Climbing up the ladder being easier at Mid Tiers is a load of crap I think. A Big 4 and mid tier will still have similar partner to staff ratios so you still have to compete with similar numbers of people to get that partner spot.

RE: being treated as a number, I guess thats true for the smaller mid tiers, but I'd rather be treated like a number at first rather than have people breathing down my neck constantly.

Being anonymous is sweet, especially when something gets stuffed up :)

One other thing, if you have a look at all those 100K+ Commerce/Industry relatively senior accounting jobs (Financial Controllers, CFOs, Finance Managers etc.) you notice a LOT of them prefer a few years of Big 4 experience.

In terms of later salaries for Partners, Big 4 kicks ass. I think Mid Tiers partners would be really happy getting 300K-500K whereas at Big 4 you can go into millions.

Last edited:

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
In mid-tier you interact with the same smaller group of people more often... This can turn out to be either great or horrific.

Some mid-tier + Big4 = highest salaries.

Yes mid-tier generally seem to promote somewhat faster, however ranks don't correspond at all. (A manager in a smaller company naturally wouldn't expect to recieve the same benefits as a manager in a larger company.)

Everyones experience in either form of company seems to be unique. Try to score some interviews with both and remember, interviews are a two-way process - they're a perfect chance for you to learn more about the company you are applying for.

Edit: With that whole number thing... I'll never forget my interview with a certain mid-tier firm that I shall refrain from naming:

Me: Would you like me to specify which line of service I'm interested in?
HR: No we'll put you where we need you.

Not treated like a number my ass. I basically walked out after that.

Last edited:

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
You will only be treated like a number at a Big-4 firm if you sit back and let yourself get treated like a number. You will be pushed to particpate and have an opinion, and whilst you may feel intimidated at such a big workplace I strongly recommend that you do participate.

Trust me, they will notice...because there are so many people who dont participate.

In regards to money, it should be the least of your worries. You will get paid more than enough for someone who has only just completed their HSC.

kazzak

HSC
From the cadet contracts last year, the trend tends to be that Big 4 offer set contracts over the 4 years whereas in mid-tier firms you get pay reviews every 6 or 12 months, which means more money by the end of the program.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
^

Where on earth did you pull that from?

Big4 contracts are initially offered for two years of full-time work.

All salaries are reviewed around the financial year and (generally) increased.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
kazzak said:
From the cadet contracts last year, the trend tends to be that Big 4 offer set contracts over the 4 years whereas in mid-tier firms you get pay reviews every 6 or 12 months, which means more money by the end of the program.
In Big4, at least in my experience and my friends, you get the standard 2 year contract with remuneration reviewed at least once every 12 months (or more frequent if deemed necessary or depending on the firm's "cycle" or processes), and then after your 2 years full time work, your contract gets reviewed and they can choose to offer you a study-grant/subsidy and the full time position along with vaccy work. In some cases, your salary will even be reviewed the day you actually commence employment.

And whilst I won't compete on salary since I don't know your details, Big4 is known to pay a very competitive remuneration package... not that anyone doing a cadetship would be seriously doing it to make significant financial gains lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)