Mid Year Transfer from UNSW Commerce to UTS Business (1 Viewer)

ange393

HSC
Hi,
So I really want to transfer from UNSW Commerce to B Bus at UTS...
UTS was my second preference but then I unexpectedly received an ATAR of 96.75 and got into UNSW. I am now really regretting my decision of taking this position and wish that I had gone to UTS instead even though it is a lower cutoff.
Just wondering if there is any slim possibility I can transfer mid-year even though the website says they are only selecting transfers for Engineering.... since I am doing the equivalent course at a Uni with an even higher cutoff?? (not for instance, trying to transfer from course with a really low cutoff into Law at UTS.)

If this is in no way possible, then if I tried to transfer at the end of the year would I have to start the whole course again or would they take into account that I'd already done a year of it at UNSW. (I don't really want to transfer at the end of the year and have to start all over again obviously)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Especially if anyone knows if there is any way I could tranfer mid-year 2010.

PS. Sorry for making a new thread I couldn't find any others with a similar problem to mine (most were about transferring from a course with a lower cutoff to a higher one)

princess_neko

HSC
Hi,
UTS was my second preference but then I unexpectedly received an ATAR of 96.75 and got into UNSW. I am now really regretting my decision of taking this position and wish that I had gone to UTS instead even though it is a lower cutoff.
Just wondering if there is any slim possibility I can transfer mid-year even though the website says they are only selecting transfers for Engineering.... since I am doing the equivalent course at a Uni with an even higher cutoff?? (not for instance, trying to transfer from course with a really low cutoff into Law at UTS.)

If this is in no way possible, then if I tried to transfer at the end of the year would I have to start the whole course again or would they take into account that I'd already done a year of it at UNSW. (I don't really want to transfer at the end of the year and have to start all over again obviously)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Especially if anyone knows if there is any way I could tranfer mid-year 2010.

PS. Sorry for making a new thread I couldn't find any others with a similar problem to mine (most were about transferring from a course with a lower cutoff to a higher one)
my friend transferred from usyd commerce to unsw commerce at the beginning of this year. she told me that you have to apply through uac again. since you're still in your first year, they would consider either your old uai/atar or your first semester's grades or a mix of both (there's mixed opinions on this part)
i think you should go to uts first, and ask if you can transfer the subjects you alreadi did if you've successfully transferred. otherwise you might have to repeat those subjects again. as with my friend's case, unsw and usyd are g8 unis, so you can transfer the subjects between unis fairly easily. but im not too sure with uts since its not in the g8, and their subject contents and assessments might be different to the unsw one.

good luck with your transfer!

p.s.:i wish i can get into unsw one since that was my first choice =D

Need_Help

HSC
N/A
congratulations on the high atar!
i am considering a similar course next year - if you dont mind me asking, whats wrong with unsw?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Even though I probably would've preferred UTS over UNSW for the convenience factor and the not-so-stupid-tutors, why would you transfer? If anything it looks kinda weird to future prospective employers that you would downgrade? :S

krayzie_

HSC
I doubt you will be able to transfer mid year. I read this and its for people who are currently at UTS so I assume external students it will be similar

"
Criteria

Students are eligible to submit an Internal Course Transfer: Continuing application once they have completed a minimum of 48 credit points (equivalent to approximately 1 year of full-time studies) of their current degree profile.

Please note: Subjects that are not part of your current degree profile will NOT be considered as part of an Internal Course Transfer application.

Whilst there are NO guarantees on the outcome of an application; students are assessed solely on academic merit and as places are limited, applications will be assessed on a competitive basis.
To stand a reasonable chance, applicants are advised to maintain a minimum weighted average mark (WAM) of CREDIT for ALL subjects completed under the current AND any previous award courses(s) at UTS."

see link if you want http://www.business.uts.edu.au/student/admin/transfer/transfer.pdf

So yeah aim to get above credit average, because if you got P's, and someone at UTS wanted in on the business course with higher marks then yours then I'll let them in over you. :O

For your second question, no the course won't start again, commerce at unsw/usyd have similar core subjects as UTS - you will get credit for things you have done already.. e.g first year students usually do introductory everything (accounting, finance, marketing, managing, economics, business law.)

Last edited:

Japanese_rambo

HSC
N/A
Hi,

Hey,

I am in the same boat as you sort of. I was at USYD and transferred to UTS this year. Best move I have made. I actually did it for convenience and went to Kuringai, but I actually am ending up having to do half my subjects in the city anyway :(.

But its a great UNI and the people are really smart, but are a lot more relaxed about it :)

You'll find all, If not most of your subjects will transfer straight over.

Best of luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)