Mid year transfer (1 Viewer)

EATAPIE

BMW>>>>Mercedes (see sig)
HSC
hey guys,

im thinking about transferring from B Eng/ B Sci to B Sci (adv). At the moment the science subjects im doing are Math (adv) and Phys (adv). I got over engineering, and i have decided to do post grad med/ dentistry. Im guessing, since im already doing a science degree i dont need to apply through uac. So i got a few questions.

1. Is it possible for me to transfer to Sci (adv) next sem and do like sem 1 subjects which are required for med/dentistry? Because i heard they offer some sem 1 subjects in sem 2. (ie Chem1901 and bio1001 or microbiology)

2. If this is possible who do i contact

thanks

heart

sm:)e
HSC
I really don't think that you can do first semester subjects like chem1901 in second semester.

And i thought to do postgrad med there were no prerequisites.

EATAPIE

BMW>>>>Mercedes (see sig)
HSC
yes i know but the course im doing at the moment is 5 years. sci adv is only 3.

and yes chem1901 isnt avaliable in sem 2 but i here chem1101 is. Thats why im asking if bio1001 and chem1908 is avaliable in 2nd sem

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Umm according to the handbook go see the Engineering Faculty office and you should be able to change at any point.

tlodg

HSC
N/A
From the psyc. department page:

Can I transfer into the BPSYCH after my first year at Uni?

You can apply to transfer into the BPsych at the end of your first year. You will need to perform exceptionally well in first year psychology.

I've got some questions...

1.) does "exceptionally well" mean HD?

2.) First year psyc: is PSYC 1001 enough or do you need PSYC 1002 as well? Can you take them in summer school 2007 and transfer into BPSYC just in time (for 2007, s1)?

3.) are there any other requirements; eg. do they look at the results of your other non-psyc subjects?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Xayma said:
Umm according to the handbook go see the Engineering Faculty office and you should be able to change at any point.
That's within streams I think, this might be a bit more complex because it's handing over the control of your degree to a different faculty so probably tons of red tape.

EDIT: Exceptionally well probably means D.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
That's within streams I think, this might be a bit more complex because it's handing over the control of your degree to a different faculty so probably tons of red tape.

EDIT: Exceptionally well probably means D.
The handbook says dropping one can be done at any time at the faculty office. So while red tape will exist it won't require anything too difficult, probably more difficult to drop engineering over sceince however..

loweperson

HSC
tlodg said:
I've got some questions...

1.) does "exceptionally well" mean HD?

2.) First year psyc: is PSYC 1001 enough or do you need PSYC 1002 as well? Can you take them in summer school 2007 and transfer into BPSYC just in time (for 2007, s1)?

3.) are there any other requirements; eg. do they look at the results of your other non-psyc subjects?
Hey, I'm in third year doing a Bsc. Psychology. I really am not sure of the answers to your specific questions, but you could easily find out if you went to the Psyc Counter in the Mundo Macullum building (opposite Manning).

Honestly though, there's no reason I can see why you would want to switch to BPsych. Like, it's the exact same thing as Bsc. Hons. (Pscyhology) (course-wise) except a) You have to maintain a D average b) you have to take I think 1 or 2 more psychology course in third year and c) you have to do honours. Graduate schools won't really care whether you did Bsc. Hons. (Psyc) or BPsyc., they'll just look at your WAM and what actual courses you took/what thesis you did - I don't think BPsyc is actually more prestigious, just has more requirements.

tlodg

HSC
N/A
loweperson said:
Hey, I'm in third year doing a Bsc. Psychology. I really am not sure of the answers to your specific questions, but you could easily find out if you went to the Psyc Counter in the Mundo Macullum building (opposite Manning).

Honestly though, there's no reason I can see why you would want to switch to BPsych. Like, it's the exact same thing as Bsc. Hons. (Pscyhology) (course-wise) except a) You have to maintain a D average b) you have to take I think 1 or 2 more psychology course in third year and c) you have to do honours. Graduate schools won't really care whether you did Bsc. Hons. (Psyc) or BPsyc., they'll just look at your WAM and what actual courses you took/what thesis you did - I don't think BPsyc is actually more prestigious, just has more requirements.
Hey loweperson....
thanks for telling me this.. I'm not in Bsc though
the reason why I thought BPsyc was the right choice for me isn't because it's more prestigious or something...
I just thought that you'd only be eligible for registration to become a psychologist if you study BPsyc (4 years undergrad + 2 yrs postgrad/work)
is it true?

and Yeah the D average thing does sound intimidating, because I know that if you fail to do so, u'll be transfered

loweperson

HSC
tlodg said:
Hey loweperson....
thanks for telling me this.. I'm not in Bsc though
the reason why I thought BPsyc was the right choice for me isn't because it's more prestigious or something...
I just thought that you'd only be eligible for registration to become a psychologist if you study BPsyc (4 years undergrad + 2 yrs postgrad/work)
is it true?

and Yeah the D average thing does sound intimidating, because I know that if you fail to do so, u'll be transfered
Tlodg -
Sorry, just assumed you were doing Bsc. As far as I'm aware, if you do Bsc, do honours, then do 2 yrs Master of Clinical Psychology or similar degree, then you can be conditionally registered as a psychologist. After two years work experience, I believe, you finally become a full-fledge practicing psychologist :). I'm a little uncertain about the post-graduate bit, but you definately have all the same options doing BSc (hons) as with BPsych (if you don't do honours, though, you can't do post-grad Psyc work - at least not at USYD).

Another thing to note (not trying to scare you off) is that apparently Psyc Honours is really competitive, and you need like a D average in Psyc anyway to get in. I've just heard this from other people who are stressing out because they really want to do honours in Psyc. I don't think it's necesarily like that in other majors, but I'm not sure.

If you really want to become a practicing psychologist, and don't get into honours or BPsyc at Sydney, I wouldn't give up on it, though. There are always other Unis, and I'm sure different ways of getting there.

tlodg

HSC
N/A
Thanks, loweperson
I feel that I know more about it now...
what other unis would you recommend for BPsyc/BSc (Hons)?
I don't know why I just have this "thing" for psychology

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
withoutaface said:
It's quite easy actually. You can do it at any point in time, with any part of the degree (eng or science), but it won't be effective until the next semester.

loweperson

HSC
tlodg said:
Thanks, loweperson
I feel that I know more about it now...
what other unis would you recommend for BPsyc/BSc (Hons)?
I don't know why I just have this "thing" for psychology
tlodg -
Well, I'm not sure what the easiest Uni to get to honours or whatever is, but I think Wollongong is really good as far as teaching quality goes. If you check out the Good Universities Guide - they always have really high ratings in that area, and particularly psychology. Psychology at Sydney I kind of think sucks. I mean, they teach the same thing every year, in the same format, and don't really make it as fun to learn as it should be (exception: Lisa Zadro, one of the lecturers). Plus there's not a lot of group work, it's really anonymous/very little classroom interaction (although that's probably not unique to psych), and the level feedback approaches zero at points.

Macquarie is apparently also big on psychology, but I don't know anything about the teaching quality or honours/etc. One thing to consider when transferring is that some Unis (like Macquarie and UNSW) have more requirements for the degree (like you have to take a lot more psychology at UNSW that you do at USYD for some reason).

tlodg

HSC
N/A
loweperson said:
tlodg -
Well, I'm not sure what the easiest Uni to get to honours or whatever is, but I think Wollongong is really good as far as teaching quality goes. If you check out the Good Universities Guide - they always have really high ratings in that area, and particularly psychology. Psychology at Sydney I kind of think sucks. I mean, they teach the same thing every year, in the same format, and don't really make it as fun to learn as it should be (exception: Lisa Zadro, one of the lecturers). Plus there's not a lot of group work, it's really anonymous/very little classroom interaction (although that's probably not unique to psych), and the level feedback approaches zero at points.

Macquarie is apparently also big on psychology, but I don't know anything about the teaching quality or honours/etc. One thing to consider when transferring is that some Unis (like Macquarie and UNSW) have more requirements for the degree (like you have to take a lot more psychology at UNSW that you do at USYD for some reason).
Yeah, I have heard that Macquarie is quite good with psyc
it's ok if there isn't a lot of group work
I'm not a big fan of group work
and thanks for giving me such useful info!
:):):)

loweperson

HSC
tlodg said:
Yeah, I have heard that Macquarie is quite good with psyc
it's ok if there isn't a lot of group work
I'm not a big fan of group work
and thanks for giving me such useful info!
:):):)
No problem, glad I could be of help. :) Hope everything works out!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)