midwifery (if thats how you spell it) (1 Viewer)

Rawr-cat

HSC
:wave: hello all.ever since i was 14 i knew that i wanted to be a midwife... i am calling on anyone out there... to tell me what subjects in school i have to take to get a course in that subject and what uai i need to start a degree in nursing:read: :rolleyes:

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC

rozymisty

HSC
Through Latrobe uni you can do a B Nursing/B Midwifery together, takes 4 yrs.

THe OP for QUT Nursing this year was about a 15....lowering it dramatically to get more pple in.

I want to do my midwifery next year, after Ive done my grad nursing year.

it is best to get your nursing degree first coz then you are more employable etc than just someone who has just done their undergrad midwifery.

HSC
i am doing the graduate dipolma of midwifery after my b nursing.
i suggest you do biology and pdhpe, and maybe chemistry. i found that these subjects (which i did for the hsc) have helped me greatly.
i also suggest doing the bachelor of nursing first (which is what i am doing)
it is far easier this way, and also, if you get bored of midwifery, you have another qualification to fall back on. it is only 1 extra year once you have become a registered nurse. if you become a midwife and later decide you want to do nursing, you will then need to spend another 3 years at uni studying nursing.
so do bio, chem and pe for the hsc and do nursing first!
last years cut off was around 83 just to do midwifery, while nursing was 71 (at UTS)
i do not think that these will change much over the next few years

HSC
It depends it was also 82 for nursing at UTS but this is for the city campus, but i agree with what has been said, there are alot more specialty areas you can go down with nursing whereas with midwifery if you find you don't like what is being offered you are kind of stuck.

After your first yr as a graduate nurse, there are so many options of post grad study available. Look into all your options, goodluck! :)

Che08

HSC
yeh im thinking bio, chem, and maths to get you in good shape for the course.

shanti96

ya hasra and goodnight
HSC
Biology and math are great pre-requisites.

ITA with everyone else, it is better to do your nursing degree before a midwifery degree.

HSC
i also recommend pdhpe
the similarities between pe and pathophysiology and cardiovascular is incredible.
almost everything that we have covered so far, i had already learnt at school.
pe has helped me a lot. if i didn't do pe, i would be having trouble with uni at the moment.

boris

Banned
HSC
I don't know about chem, I would take bio and pd/h/pe before I did chem, especially if you don't think you'll be very good at it.
the level of chem in nursing is minimal.

rozymisty

HSC
Chemistry in nursing is more the biological nursing, eg what cardiac drugs etc etc do. So chemsitry will help with the pharmacology. Mostly its bioligy and yes PE wil help you greatly coz of the anatomy etc etc.

Most pple dont approve of people JUST doing midi...you need that nursing knowledge as well as the specific mid knowledge.

I made a baby laugh the other day at work, and i cant wait to do midi...but not sure if i want to do a working holiday first and then midwifery..... just get through this year.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
rozymisty said:
I made a baby laugh the other day at work, and i cant wait to do midi...but not sure if i want to do a working holiday first and then midwifery..... just get through this year.
they do die too.. i guess u have to accept both and like picking and taking out stillborns too.. its a double sided coin but the laughing is usually fun.

loz.elizabeth

HSC
i want to do midwifery too. yet i really don't want to do the nursing course first. is this stupid of me? honestly i am sick of school at the moment and i don't want to spend more time there. will i be dissadvantaged if i don't do nursing?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
loz.elizabeth said:
i want to do midwifery too. yet i really don't want to do the nursing course first. is this stupid of me? honestly i am sick of school at the moment and i don't want to spend more time there. will i be dissadvantaged if i don't do nursing?
To be honest I think your employment options will be limited if you just do Midwifery, thats why most degrees offer both.

But it's an option.

Otherwise, CSU offers a Bachelor of Nursing and a Postgrad Diploma in Midwifery.

rozymisty

HSC
Do NOT do just midwifery coz otherwise as others have said, you are restricted, and most employers would get pple who hav done nursing ANd midi.

Just do a double degree in nursing and mid, coz then you have all the clinical skills that are going to be very vital. You need to learn how to do basic nursing skills first.
I know that UQ now has the double degre....too late for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)